Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 84388 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)
« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2014, 09:37:38 am »

My game just crashed (with a windows "this program has stopped working" message), right at the end of a battle (which I won). To be precise, it crashed when I clicked to close the after battle casualties window. Does it write an error log somewhere which I could report?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 23, 2014, 11:34:10 am »

My game just crashed (with a windows "this program has stopped working" message), right at the end of a battle (which I won). To be precise, it crashed when I clicked to close the after battle casualties window. Does it write an error log somewhere which I could report?
You are the first who reported this :)

Could you please check "Fatal." file in the game directory (if it exists). Also, don't you have any savegame  (or autosave) close to that battle? If you have one, could you please upload it somewhere or send it to me (ufnv@mail.ru)?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:42:55 am by Ufnv »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 23, 2014, 01:54:25 pm »

Alas, no FATAL file. I did send you the save. Grab the fleet at Alnitak, and attack Betelgeuse. I believe that was the battle in question.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 23, 2014, 01:57:51 pm »

Alas, no FATAL file. I did send you the save. Grab the fleet at Alnitak, and attack Betelgeuse. I believe that was the battle in question.
Thanks, looking at it right now!

EDIT: found the bug. It's quite rare, so many thanks for finding :)

Should I edit the savegame to remove this problem and send it back to you?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:22:03 pm by Ufnv »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »

That would be sweet. It took a few hours of gameplay to get to that point.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 23, 2014, 10:50:44 pm »

That would be sweet. It took a few hours of gameplay to get to that point.

Sent to your e-mail!

The problem can arise if you attack an enemy carrier with some fighters onboard, your forces are overwhelming and enemy has no way to retreat.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 24, 2014, 02:03:24 am »

^ The sign of a very, very cool developer.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 24, 2014, 10:26:26 am »

^ The sign of a very, very cool developer.

Agreed.

Also, are the Urgans supposed to always be so overwhelming on hard? I have yet to see any other power expand so quickly- I'm just glad I pulled a jerk move and betrayed the Humans by becoming an Urgan Ally.

Once I gather my fleets they'll fall easily- they rely too much on fighters and not enough on their Capital Ships, I tend to lure the fighters to my ambush ready Ships and take them out with superior firepower...
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 24, 2014, 11:11:04 am »

Also, are the Urgans supposed to always be so overwhelming on hard? I have yet to see any other power expand so quickly- I'm just glad I pulled a jerk move and betrayed the Humans by becoming an Urgan Ally.
Usually Logans and Vagalars develop quicker...

Once I gather my fleets they'll fall easily- they rely too much on fighters and not enough on their Capital Ships, I tend to lure the fighters to my ambush ready Ships and take them out with superior firepower...
I am currently working on espionage, and this also includes "stealth armour" and "disinformation". So there can be even more "realistic" ambush - you can make enemy think you have less power than you really have.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2014, 03:04:23 pm »

Ummm... Sealthhh... Delicious Possibilities!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

shahmatt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 30, 2014, 07:43:15 am »

Greetings, I've got one question.
Is it possible to add max population, which can be reached, on a planet screen?
It would be very helpful to colonization.

For example, I had a terran planet which I colonized, and when it reached 30000 population
there was a message saying about overpopulation. If I knew that this planet can have
so little population, I wouldn't colonize it as a top priority.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:55 am »

Greetings, I've got one question.
Is it possible to add max population, which can be reached, on a planet screen?
It would be very helpful to colonization.
There is no max population. You can have as much as you can feed.

For example, I had a terran planet which I colonized, and when it reached 30000 population
there was a message saying about overpopulation. If I knew that this planet can have
so little population, I wouldn't colonize it as a top priority.
This message is about too big "available" population - this means population that does nothing but consumes your resources. You typically do not want this, unless you plan to use all this population as colonists or descent.

shahmatt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:58 am »

There is no max population. You can have as much as you can feed.

This message is about too big "available" population - this means population that does nothing but consumes your resources. You typically do not want this, unless you plan to use all this population as colonists or descent.
I understand, thanks.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2014, 02:06:27 pm »

I finally beat Hard for the first time, in the most unlikely way possible- I absorbed the Urgans, an Empire with ALOT more Firepower and Technology with whom I had a BAD history with.

I have never smiled so much over doing things peacefully in a game EVER.  8)

I proceeded to push the Humans to two planets. Just to add insult to injury, I made a peace treaty with them then proceeded to successfully DEMAND their LAST TWO PLANETS.

Looking back, I absorbed every single race except the Arians and Humans, with the possible exception of the Gavaken who I'm not sure I actually ever met. Maybe you're right about the Diplomatic approach being too easy, even if it took me several hundred years.

Spoiler: As a final note: (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 32:

Carsonjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 31, 2014, 09:42:03 pm »

Alright. Let me start off by saying that while I like strategy games, I don't play them often. So I'm pretty bad. Which means any complaints I have could just be because I'm bad. But after starting a game and playing for awhile, I figured I could do a first impressions kinda thing. I used Alpha15D. Everything here is my own opinion.

So, I started as Humans on Normal, on one of the Spiral galaxies, I think. There were two of the same type with three variants each if I recall correctly, I chose one of the three towards the bottom. Now, I don't know if this is intentional, but I feel like the game plays really slowly in the beginning. Nuclear engines and generators don't really work all that well for a proper military. And that would be fine, but I found if I wanted to leave my home world's solar system, while still allowing my Corvettes to have a decent amount of weaponry, I had to wait until impulse engines, the large 9x9 generator that I forget the name of, and fuel tanks mk. II.

And by the time that happened, I pissed off the Logans because some pirates attacked me right off the bat and when they told me they were pirates, I chose the option saying "Apology accepted, just don't let it happen again" and they got angry and flew off. Fast forward hundreds of years, and now they're allied with the Arians and demanded I give them my scientific oceanic planet. Having no military, because of aforementioned reasons, I agreed. Arians then captured the planet the Logan pirates were on, and then they both started extorting me for resources. Good teamwork, but I'm barely keeping up with their demands.

Haven't done enough combat to really comment on that, but regarding ship design, it kinda bothers me that it's misaligned. At first I thought the dots were the spacing, but it's actually the space in between them. And no matter what, it's always misaligned. But honestly, that's a really minor complaint. The system works, and that's all that really matters. Far better than not designing ships. The Corvettes feel really cramped. I think the main reason for that is fuel tanks take up a lot of space. To make it so that my Corvettes can travel across solar systems, I had to sacrifice radars. The Fighters are pretty good given their jobs, and I almost feel like Interceptors are almost too big. I managed to fit something like 3 or 4 missile traps in one of them, and put a radar in another. Though they have less firepower than fighters, so that might make up for it. Also feel like ship components should have tool tips like they do when you click on things to research them, but again, it's a minor thing.

Researching works well. I like the sheer amount of things there are. I like things. I like researching. Especially like how you can research multiple fields at the same time.

Diplomacy is odd, in my opinion. I don't really know how to increase people's opinion of you other than just giving them resources. Also don't know when I can and can't do something. Could just be me being bad.

The maps are cool. Kinda feels like a more in depth game of Risk, except you actually fight the battles. Definitely like the different shapes and sizes of the galaxies. The different types of planets are nice as well, kinda wish you could do something with gas giants though. But maybe it's better to have a type of planet that's useless.

All in all the game's good, and it's still in alpha. It's fun, and it seems like a lot of work was put into it. Hope you continue working on it!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31