Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 84801 times)

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remember Tomorrow - an indie 4x space strategy game
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2014, 05:02:43 am »

I really like the great variance in ship design between the races. I've beaten the game as Arians (I would suggest a name change by the way, it's too similar to "Aryan" as in Nazi's, and is even spelled that way a few times), so now I'm trying out the Vagalars, and needing to come up with entirely new ship designs is definitely adding to the replay value.
I will change naming :)
Yes, designs vary a lot. Vagalars have very good capital ships, especially the Dreadnought, but weak medium-class ships.

One thing I would suggest is to get the race-specific tech unlocks added soon so that the different races have their differences added more quickly. I would also consider tweaking the Arian's race bonuses, but I think that their hull layouts might be enough of a bonus; I'll have to try out the different races before I come up with a solid opinion there.
I will definitely add more racial features, especially for research.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2014, 05:42:17 am »

Any idea when to expect the next version? Weeks, months, years, decades?

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2014, 05:53:09 am »

Any idea when to expect the next version? Weeks, months, years, decades?
This week for 15C that will include a new "fleet strength evaluation function" that will make AI work even better. Plus, corrected English for technology descriptions, plus, fixes for what was found by play-testers, especially from this forum :)

Alpha16 that will include new model of planet invasion, all new assets for battle satellites and battle platforms and, possibly, espionage. I estimate it to be available in about three weeks.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2014, 08:49:53 pm »

Is there a way to tweak galaxy generation to add even more stars and make the galaxy bigger? I dislike how small and tightly packed it all feels. I've looked through some of the files and I can't seem to find anything.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2014, 02:46:27 am »

Is there a way to tweak galaxy generation to add even more stars and make the galaxy bigger? I dislike how small and tightly packed it all feels. I've looked through some of the files and I can't seem to find anything.
Maximum number of stars is hardcoded in generator UI, but not in generator itself. So, I can make a config file that allows tweaking.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2014, 06:25:31 am »

Maximum number of stars is hardcoded in generator UI, but not in generator itself. So, I can make a config file that allows tweaking.
Untill then a simple memory manipulation using cheat engine should be able to change these information since the generator engine can already work with that?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2014, 06:30:44 am »

Untill then a simple memory manipulation using cheat engine should be able to change these information since the generator engine can already work with that?
In theory, you are right, but practically the scrollbar does a boundary check every frame so it'll truncate the value back.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2014, 12:26:49 pm »

Spoiler: Note about Magellans: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Note about Humans: (click to show/hide)

Still messing around with the other races, but my first real attempt with the Magellans was my best game by far- wiped out two races before I'd even researched Atmospheric Dome since I figured if I focused on Military Tech I could take over already established Colonies. I was right in ways I couldn't imagine... but they aren't that great on hard difficulty as yet. I'm trying the other races through their paces on normal before I put any significant amount of effort on hard, so tips on the other races would be nice.

Oh, and note that getting your Fleets into position while having 'Military Cooperation' can give enormous boons in territory should you or them declare hostilities. Time- and Resource-Consuming, but well worth it and quite fulfilling when you pull it on the Urgans after being abused, extorted and pushed around for a thousand years.

And I keep spelling and saying 'Urgals' instead of 'Urgans'. I have my suspicions...
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2014, 01:03:08 pm »

Nice write-up. I did not tested racial bonuses too much, so it's good to see they work somehow :)

BTW, I did some tweaking of enemy fighters AI to avoid Bozon gun shoots, so it is a bit more difficult now to catch the big group of enemy...

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2014, 01:09:25 pm »

Nice write-up. I did not tested racial bonuses too much, so it's good to see they work somehow :)

BTW, I did some tweaking of enemy fighters AI to avoid Bozon gun shoots, so it is a bit more difficult now to catch the big group of enemy...

Hurrah!

That isn't the main problem with Technological Superiority Tactics, since my capital ships were more then capable of holding off fighters which resulted in me not really using any fighters until I had Heavy Ion ?Lasers? and Assault Shuttles. The problem is that they are more powerful then start blasters even against Capital Ships, which is unfortunate since the Urgans tend to be Aggressive.

Edit: Could you put what Version you're at in the OP and OP Title? It helps alert people who only post periodically to Updates if they haven't been on in awhile.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:14:39 pm by TalonisWolf »
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »

That isn't the main problem with Technological Superiority Tactics, since my capital ships were more then capable of holding off fighters which resulted in me not really using any fighters until I had Heavy Ion ?Lasers? and Assault Shuttles. The problem is that they are more powerful then start blasters even against Capital Ships, which is unfortunate since the Urgans tend to be Aggressive.
Actually, I plan to do several more things, like modules that can suppress guidance mechanism, etc.

Edit: Could you put what Version you're at in the OP and OP Title? It helps alert people who only post periodically to Updates if they haven't been on in awhile.
OK, I will

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2014, 04:02:19 am »

Woahhh just got round to playing this and it's awesome - very polished and some awesome graphics. The combat is great, and I'm sure with a few more tactical options it would become probably the best 4x combat. You should really think about putting this on steam - it's way better than a lot of 4x games out there.

I've made a list below of some feedback - some of it is quite nitpicking/overly-critical, so I apologise for that. Also, a lot of these are personal preference (and mainly UI based, as I haven't had time to play enough for balance):

-The first thing that struck me was the cursor angle. Somehow it's...off. I think it needs to be rotated to the left a tiny bit. Seriously, I know it's a tiny issue, but it feels really strange - for the first 5 minutes it felt like if you haven't calibrated a touch screen properly.

-Right clicking to move ships on the galaxy map is also a bit odd. I'd like to be able to click on a ship and then right click where I want it to go. Right clicking, then left clicking seems strange and took me a while to figure out.

-There could do with being a 'universal' build screen, where you can set build orders for all your planets. If there is one I haven't found it yet. I think it'd be great to have it instead of where the 'rotate' option is on the main screen. I don't think it's needed, and it'd be a useful thing to have there

-I got immediately attacked by pirates. Perhaps there could be a 'safe' year or something so you've got time to work out what everything does/get used to things.

-The research screen could do with being a little bit clearer somehow. Perhaps having research in a 'tree' style would be better, as in a list it becomes a bit tricky to know what's what somehow.

Really, great work and I can't wait to see how this develops!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2014, 05:33:17 am »

Woahhh just got round to playing this and it's awesome - very polished and some awesome graphics. The combat is great, and I'm sure with a few more tactical options it would become probably the best 4x combat. You should really think about putting this on steam - it's way better than a lot of 4x games out there.
Thanks!

BTW, if you have any suggestions on tactical elements, feel free to propose, I really like to have the "deepest tactical combat" in the game :)

-The first thing that struck me was the cursor angle. Somehow it's...off. I think it needs to be rotated to the left a tiny bit. Seriously, I know it's a tiny issue, but it feels really strange - for the first 5 minutes it felt like if you haven't calibrated a touch screen properly.

Interesting note. I'll try to play with it.

-There could do with being a 'universal' build screen, where you can set build orders for all your planets. If there is one I haven't found it yet. I think it'd be great to have it instead of where the 'rotate' option is on the main screen. I don't think it's needed, and it'd be a useful thing to have there
"Rotate" button is for touch-screens...

I think about some "build" button, as there is such function for AI players, but do not have a clear concept yet.

-I got immediately attacked by pirates. Perhaps there could be a 'safe' year or something so you've got time to work out what everything does/get used to things.
Maybe it is better to remove this by default? I already removed this for easy.

Really, great work and I can't wait to see how this develops!

I have just uploaded an Alpha15D version and a patch. There are a number of suggestions and fixed of issues reported here. Plus, there is some rebalance in weapons, especially Bozon gun, and some AI tweaks to better survive it :)
Also I completely rewritten the function that is responsible for fleet strength evaluation - this results in better AI play on both strategic and tactical layers.

As usual, it can be downloaded here:
http://www.softwarware.com/eng.html

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2014, 08:40:17 am »

I've just added the game to IndieDB!

Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:45:24 am by Ufnv »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2014, 09:31:50 am »

I've just added the game to IndieDB!

Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow

That link doesn't work correctly for me unfortunately, although I've found it anyway - good job!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31