Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 84787 times)

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remember Tomorrow - an indie 4x space strategy game
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2014, 11:01:07 pm »

Set to false, still continuing to have problems. Hopefully I can help you fix it.
Thanks for your help! I'll PM a link to a special game version.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2014, 11:17:04 pm »

-Enemy AI that's fleeing a space battle should probably be running away from enemy forces instead of toward them, ha. Looks like they just head toward the top right-ish of the battle map, but that tends to be directly toward hostile forces and that seems... a little silly.
:)
Currently this done with the purpose of making fleeing a bit risky. Ships always need to travel the longest possible distance before they disappear to give another side a chance to shot them in the process.

Also planning to introduce "interdictor" module that significantly increases the time required for the enemy to perform a jump.

-Economic plans that just won't work (like scientific on an exhausted planet, ferex) should probably be greyed out or somethin'.
I'll think how to do this.

-Realize it's probably for future builds, but I definitely missed "civilian", so to speak, research. Lots of shooty stuff, but very little in the way of improving the lives of my people, heh. Improved research/industry/etc. research would be nice... probably stuff for improving population limits, health (for whenever/if random events get in, resistance to plague or whatev'), stuff like that. High-end research enabling things like transhumanism/roboticization (population starts eating part metal instead of only food, with potential bonuses to research/industry/ground combat), planet construction.
Yes, it is in the process. And it is one of the topics I need suggestions, advises and play-tests. I can insert a dozen of different technologies to improve various aspects of economics, etc, literally in 20 minutes, but the tricky part is to find a right balance of their effect.

Terraforming is even implemented but not allowed. This is once again because I still have no idea what would prevent a player/AI from terraforming all his worlds mid game and how this affects the gameplay.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2014, 06:07:10 am »

so i've been playing this and decided to not give you high praise without actually getting more than two hours in

good first impression though

anyway i'm kinda wondering what kinda strategy you expect me to pull off when giving me the ability to select a single fighter instead of the whole wing? that scale's kinda... weird, to be honest

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2014, 06:22:38 am »

so i've been playing this and decided to not give you high praise without actually getting more than two hours in
good first impression though
Thanks, trying hard to make a good game... with your help that is much appreciated :)

anyway i'm kinda wondering what kinda strategy you expect me to pull off when giving me the ability to select a single fighter instead of the whole wing? that scale's kinda... weird, to be honest
Do you mean in the battle?

Basically you select the whole wing by clicking on any fighter from this wing (if this is not switched off via settings panel).

However if you not just click a fighter, but frame it by your mouse, only those that framed will be selected.

This is necessary because it is the only convenient way to split a group of fighters if you have such need (frame needed and give them some order -> they will be separated into their own wing).

However there is one very important case you may need to control a single fighter, it is later in the game. There is a specific anti-fighter weapon that can (if your are unlucky enough) destroy all you 300+ fighters in one shot. But to do this, the shot must hit a single fighter first. The shot is self-guided but not very quick so you can try to have you single fighter run away while moving all other fighters in the opposite direction in case you are not successful in saving that one fighter. :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:25:03 am by Ufnv »

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2014, 08:04:51 am »

Set to false, still continuing to have problems. Hopefully I can help you fix it.

PM sent.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2014, 11:13:54 am »

Sorry to ask, but are you sure 69 domes built (written in white) but not "available to build" (written in yellow after the list of buildings present)?
Haha, yeah, you're right. I didn't even notice that section existed.
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2014, 01:57:02 pm »

Some planets have a  while others have a when you look at them from the galaxy view. What's the difference?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2014, 02:17:14 pm »

This - is a special science resource, that is not currently used. I plan to use it for some specific research later. Most likely it will be used to research technologies of working with star lanes - collapse existing ones, create new ones, etc.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »

I'm not exactly sure why, but sometimes when clicking on an unexplored star, the spectral class shows up as some Russian(?) text. That noted, what difference does the spectral class actually make in-game? Logic would dictate yellow stars to be the most likely to have earth-like planets, but I see no correlation.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2014, 02:33:17 pm »

I'm not exactly sure why, but sometimes when clicking on an unexplored star, the spectral class shows up as some Russian(?) text.
If you can make a screenshot, that would be great, I'll be able to fix this.

Yes, it is Russian text - I am originally from Moldova, a small ex-USSR republic country close to Romania, so the Russian version is natural for me.

That noted, what difference does the spectral class actually make in-game? Logic would dictate yellow stars to be the most likely to have earth-like planets, but I see no correlation.
Yes, yellow stars have the best probability of having earth-like planets, while A-class and O-class stars are more likely to have Active, Volcanic or Heavy planets, etc. This can be seen in "plantype.ini" file.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2014, 04:48:37 pm »

One criticism that I have that can be tied down to a single issue is that the game suffers heavily from the "fleets are obsolete by the time they reach the front lines" problem. Rather than speeding construction or something, I would suggest adding a "research rate" slider.

This would serve to both fix the problem I mentioned (should the player want it), and would act as a sort of "game speed" modifier; Want a shorter game? Increase the research rate. Want a longer, slower-paced game? Decrease the research rate.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2014, 07:13:38 pm »

Thanks for your help! I'll PM a link to a special game version.

Great, I'll be ready.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2014, 11:33:19 pm »

One criticism that I have that can be tied down to a single issue is that the game suffers heavily from the "fleets are obsolete by the time they reach the front lines" problem. Rather than speeding construction or something, I would suggest adding a "research rate" slider.

This would serve to both fix the problem I mentioned (should the player want it), and would act as a sort of "game speed" modifier; Want a shorter game? Increase the research rate. Want a longer, slower-paced game? Decrease the research rate.
Thanks for the idea.

Basically, such control present, but now it is hidden inside a "scenario" file. It is called TechnologyScale and can be any value from 1 to 1000 or Auto. Auto means it is adjusted based on number of science-generating planets in a scenario, a number means speed modifier (TechnologyScale 65 means every research needs only 65% of points comparing to the original value).

However it seems like a good idea to show this controller on a galaxy generation screen for the player to decide.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2014, 05:27:11 am »

So, I have a crazy idea on how to implement internal politics.

Basically, I'd divide power inside the state into factions, arbitrarily split into five in my example. The more power a faction has, the more positive and negative effects it brings to play. However, if the faction is completely powerless, they still cause negative effects, portraying the society lacking that part entirely... Around 20% power, the faction would be neutral in their effect. (See the faction list below.) In addition to the factions, there would be government forms, which have similar effects, plus stack the deck to the benefit of certain factions. This way you could, for example, have a Democracy really ran by Corporations. (See the government form list below.)

In addition to these two things, I'd add corruption, which would be a percentage of everything (resources, research points etc) wasted. It is stolen, sold on black market, lost due to inefficiency etc. Hinterlands of an empire should suffer form increased corruption until they are brought fully inside the empire somehow.

Government forms:

Dictatorship/Monarchy (+military bonus, +intel bonus, -unrest more common, -more corruption, favors Aristocratic/Militarist factions)

Democracy (+less unrest, +minor tech bonus, +minor economic boost, -intel penalty, -military penalty, favors Corporate/Humanist factions)

Oligarchy (+economic boost, +minor intel bonus, -minor unrest malus, -more corruption, favors Aristocratic/Corporate factions)

Bureaucracy (+a little less unrest, +tech bonus, -economic malus, -military penalty, favors Technocratic/Humanist factions)

Thought Control - requires research to activate (+almost no unrest, +huge intel bonus, +military bonus, -large economic malus due to upkeep, -substantial tech malus due to groupthink, favors Militaristic/Aristocratic factions)

Instant Democracy - requires research to activate (+less unrest, +less corruption, +tech bonus, -economic malus due to upkeep, -military malus, favors Humanist/Technocratic factions)

Corporate Federation - requires research to activate (+intel, +economic bonus, +small tech bonus, -more corruption, favors Aristocratic/Corporate factions)

Factions:

Aristocratic/Oligarchic/Caste/Elite (+theoretical science, +intel, -increased corruption due to nepotism, -increased unrest due to class society)

Corporate/Capitalistic/Merchant/Trader/Monetary (+economic boost, +applied science, +excels in quick exploitation of planets, +corporate colonies, -theoretical science, -more unrest due to poverty, -more corruption in the long run)

Technocratic/Scientific/Transhumanist/Futurist (+large tech bonus, +small unrest reduction, -economic malus, -intel malus due to academic freedom)

Humanist/Democratic/Unitarian/Altruist (+corruption reduction due to transparency, +unrest reduction, +faster assimilation of other cultures,
-economic malus, -intel malus, -military malus)

Militarist/Xenophobic/Patriotic/Fanatic (+military bonus, +intel bonus, -small corruption increase, -tech penalty due to authoritarianism, -slower assimilation of other cultures)

How does this work?

I'd have the game fire up events, which change the faction power in the society. These would be a random element, possibly more common in democracies and less common in authoritarian regimes. In addition, there should come up choices for the player, such as how to organize a new colony. Letting a colonial trade company run it would increase Corporate power, making it a military outpost would increase Militarist power etc. Sometimes you could get direct suggestions form a faction with a prize attached, like Corporate offering you XYZ resources if you conquer planet Y or make a trade deal with faction Z. These, in turn, would increase the faction power.

I'd like to see certain factions (Aristocratic, for example) be mainly negative due to their faction efforts, but able to offer so good instant rewards that player will grant them more power. This way, the player would slowly damage himself by taking short term gains. This, I believe, would nicely portray the slide of empires into corruption and decadence. Attempts to renew the situation should include policy changes (like changing the colony types away from noble fief into something else), which would cause the worst turmoil the stronger the faction is. It should even have a chance of firing up a civil war.

Likewise, there could be events that can fire based on faction power. So if the Militarists/Aristocrats run the show, they could turn a Democracy into a Dictatorship, basically forcing through government type change without consulting the player. Too strong factions would basically try to usurp the things player can do for their own ends.

If you ever added stuff like system governors, admirals and so forth, they should each belong to a certain faction. This would make civil wars etc easier to represent, I imagine, by having a Militarist admiral take his fleet to the Militarist side etc. I could see too strong factions pushing through governors/admirals/whatever that are actually very shitty, but belong to the right faction. Likewise, the players might need to consider whether choosing a very skilled governor that belongs to a faction the player doesn't want to boost or to choose a worse governor that belongs to a faction he'd like to grow stronger. 

Likewise, I imagine some specie (like an insectoid hivemind or a robot collective ruled by an AI) could have a special ability of simply switching between factions as they want every 50 turns or something, to portray their lack of inner politics and the ability to focus completely on something as a species.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:38:23 am by Majestic7 »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2014, 08:12:44 am »

quick question - is there a way to see fully exhausted (no resources or anything) planets in the economics -> planets tab

i use that when planning mass colonization, and being able to slap industrial worlds all over the place without going through the systems themselves would be pretty nice

what also would be nice is to be able to say "hey produce x amount of y ship and send it to z thanks" or "have all planets produce x of y if possible"

once you get to ~50 planets manually building them is starting to be a little bothersome

and i have a hundred here

aaaand i'd really like them to produce 15 assault shuttles each to defend against random cruisers i just keep getting probed with

i could just build orbital defense, but the ai doesn't do that on its own, meaning i'd have to queue up 200 buildings or so anyway
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31