Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Isn't the loss of a friend a little extreme to cause ecstatic dwarfs to tantrum?  (Read 1896 times)

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With the current version it seems everyone is friends with everyone else. A single death can cause a tantrum spiral despite so many precautions and mood boosters. The more friends a dwarf has, the less impact the loss of a single one should have. If a dwarf loses ALL his/her friends, then it would be fair enough for him/her to become miserable and tantrum.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:51:27 am by Borge »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Well, I think that with the personality reworks there is some . . . 'unbalance'.

But, to a relatively sheltered dwarf with baggage or stress I could see it happening.

A goblin tooth is nothing to run from, either.  Just imbalance.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

We don't really know how terrifying a goblin tooth can be.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That tooth caries a lot of significance.
()==[:::::::::::::>

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile

sigged
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

With the current version it seems everyone is friends with everyone else. A single death can cause a tantrum spiral despite so many precautions and mood boosters. The more friends a dwarf has, the less impact the loss of a single one should have. If a dwarf loses ALL his/her friends, then it would be fair enough for him/her to become miserable and tantrum.

That's bipolar disorder. It's normal.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

Maybe also bicuspid disorder.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:14:33 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile

Maybe also bicuspid disorder.

I keep wondering if the number of tooth puns will triple incisor just double.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

In tooth, Eye don't know.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, the puns have started to bite. I think we can write this thread off as a total floss.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Serious question though, does everyone believe that the mood loss currently is too great? Was this the case in DF2012 where 1-2 random deaths could cause the entire fortress to become miserable?

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile

Serious question though, does everyone believe that the mood loss currently is too great? Was this the case in DF2012 where 1-2 random deaths could cause the entire fortress to become miserable?

If it's different in 2014, it's not enough for me to notice. I would say that having two friends get maimed would make me pretty miserable for awhile, but I might propose that miserable dwarfs should be less likely to flip out and/or go insane.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it's different in 2014, it's not enough for me to notice. I would say that having two friends get maimed would make me pretty miserable for awhile, but I might propose that miserable dwarfs should be less likely to flip out and/or go insane.

Either that or a dwarf who attacks another during a tantrum is wrestled by those brave enough around him until the tantruming dwarf is unconscious, either through having a joint broken or choked unconcious. That way a single dwarf having a tantrum doesn't then punch the popular legendary conversationalist child who hangs out in the dining hall all day in the head, making it explode in gore and sending the other 80% of the Fortress into violent tantrums because literally everyone was friends with him.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:02:58 am by Borge »

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I abandoned all use of official meeting rooms for this specific purpose.  The downward spiral is too sharp and too fast for me and I get a little frustrated that tantrum spirals happen so easily.  Even in a situation where you have a dominant victory over a siege but still have casualties, the risk of a tantrum spiral is really high.  I generally prepare to kill (via trapdoor pitting) any dwarf whose mood sinks too low.

Kohmelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tantrums spirals are quite mad at the moment. Refuse and graveyard jobs seems to make them even badder. (do we need to dump everything nowadays?)

Most annoying thing is that dwarfs just start to die like flies when they start throwing things...

Pages: [1] 2