Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Isn't the loss of a friend a little extreme to cause ecstatic dwarfs to tantrum?  (Read 1889 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I abandoned all use of official meeting rooms for this specific purpose.  The downward spiral is too sharp and too fast for me and I get a little frustrated that tantrum spirals happen so easily.  Even in a situation where you have a dominant victory over a siege but still have casualties, the risk of a tantrum spiral is really high.  I generally prepare to kill (via trapdoor pitting) any dwarf whose mood sinks too low.

I think that's part of it too. I'm sort of fine with the game encouraging me to plan out multiple meeting and dining areas to keep my dwarves more split apart. A lot of the friendship entanglement seems to happen because most of the time we just let an entire fort hang out in the same room.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile

Ah, but what we have to remember is that, in addition to their presumably different psychology, our dwarves are perpetually drunk! That makes the random fights a little more logical :P

Doesn't justice help prevent that kind of violence, though? I thought that was one of the enormous perks of the new version.

And it's nothing much new. In my 0.34 fort, the only active people were masons. Everyone else socialized most of the year. (It's an above-ground fort.) The mayor was friends with (or related to) everyone in the fort. And the dwarven necromancers outside. But that's another story.

Anyway, in a cavern hunt for leather, he and his squad encountered a large FB. Pretty much the moment he died, the riots began. Everyone died but a timely migrant wave.
Pages: 1 [2]