Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Media Blackouts & Corruption in Games Journalism  (Read 21113 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Media Blackouts & Corruption in Games Journalism
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2014, 08:17:39 pm »

Bahaha, this is hilarious:
https://twitter.com/elyscape/status/504680128673505280
https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/504690459462348801

But in any case, those images do show the actual reason behind this. It isn't about the game journalism. It isn't even about the games. They have EA and Bioware on a list of 'things to boycott' with reasoning of "because they support LGBT issues." Not "they ruined the Sim City series." Not "they sold out." Not "they make the same game over and over and market it as a new one." Not even "paying off journalists with swag." Not a single legitimate issue. All it is is "we hate these people for their beliefs, and you should too." That's all the SJW label is: These people are enemies for calling us out on our sexism and disagreeing with us. And the fact that these people are being shouted down for their beliefs, dragged through the mud and shat upon, shows precisely why they are right and why the things they talk about are, in fact, major problems with the culture which need addressing.

It's ridiculous! If you want those darned feminists to shut up about being harassed, it may be a good idea to stop harassing them every time they say something.

You're completely missed their point : they don't say that they want boycott EA for supporting LGTB issues but because they hide behind the LGTB movement and they call everyone that disagree with them homophobe.

Which is completely true, EA did say that they won the "worst company award" because of homophobia.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2014, 08:44:55 pm »

Or it's just a bunch people jumping on an opportunity to hate on a person they already dislike.

Please don't assume to know people's reasons for acting upon change, just accept it if the change they make to the world is good.

Kotaku and polygon have both instituted changes to their policy, so something came out of all this hoo hah

Yep. If anyone doesn't think this has improved something, no matter how small, they're delusional.

Bahaha, this is hilarious:
<< REMOVE THESE PLEASE >>

But in any case, those images do show the actual reason behind this. It isn't about the game journalism. It isn't even about the games. They have EA and Bioware on a list of 'things to boycott' with reasoning of "because they support LGBT issues." Not "they ruined the Sim City series." Not "they sold out." Not "they make the same game over and over and market it as a new one." Not even "paying off journalists with swag." Not a single legitimate issue. All it is is "we hate these people for their beliefs, and you should too." That's all the SJW label is: These people are enemies for calling us out on our sexism and disagreeing with us. And the fact that these people are being shouted down for their beliefs, dragged through the mud and shat upon, shows precisely why they are right and why the things they talk about are, in fact, major problems with the culture which need addressing.

It's ridiculous! If you want those darned feminists to shut up about being harassed, it may be a good idea to stop harassing them every time they say something.

First off, one of the guidelines in the thread is not to link anything that mentions the OTHER unpleasant business, which the image in that specifically does. I'm not trying to shut you down, it's just important that we maintain separation on this, as otherwise the thread might be shut down.

Secondly, where do they source those images from? I haven't seen them anywhere related to this. It is certainly not in the big 4chan copy and paste job (from thread to thread).

Thank you for cooperation.

EDIT: I figured I should really say more about your post.

You are avoiding the issue at hand, namely that people involved in being "SJWs" are having sex with people they are writing about and not disclosing the fact. People are angered because these people claim the moral highground and then do not practice what they preach.

When we see innocents get hurt because of these "SJWs" or when we see them do anything in the name of their cause (because, of course, it's so justified), it's hard to be sympathetic when they play the victim card.

magicMissile is doing a great job of being cool!   8)

I've been following games journalism for over 20 years.  I got seriously disillusioned about 5 years ago (I'm pretty slow sometimes) and went to gamecritics.com and P4Gaming.  Recently I spent more time on giantbomb.com because I liked their positivity (gamecritics.com can be a bit negative and dry), but I'm pretty bummed by the nepotism in this case - here's why...

Friendships, money changing hands, favors, gifts etc. that's all normal and expected.  Reviews really don't count for much these days, at least I feel (with no data whatsoever) that reviews play a smaller role in consumer purchasing decisions than they used to.  The only thing the gaming media has, the only thing they need, is apparent integrity.  Jeff Gerstmann talks a lot about how he doesn't get in on Kickstarters, he avoids talking about and reviewing products by especially close developers, and he is open about these concerns.  That's the gold standard of behavior as far as I'm concerned.

What's going on with these indie devs and a certain websites is bald-faced corruption/collusion for personal gain.  I agree that it is merely an extreme case of what has already been going on for years.  But it is extreme and it is deceitful and toxic and their behavior in response has been oppressive I don't want that in the media that covers my hobby.

I believe that in the modern society the right to vote in elections counts for virtually nothing, and the right to spend our money freely counts for everything.  Informed consumer choice is the bedrock of a capitalist democracy, and deceitful manipulation of consumer choice should always be sought out and brought to the attention of consumers.  Watchdog bodies.  For games.  It's not a new idea.  4Chan is the only community that is behaving as the watchdog.

OK, my opinions are not cool, but I'm not attacking anyone specifically, just the concepts.

I agree completely. :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:19:49 pm by (int) magicMissile »
I Love Bacon

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2014, 09:44:01 pm »

First off, one of the guidelines in the thread is not to link anything that mentions the OTHER unpleasant business, which the image in that specifically does. I'm not trying to shut you down, it's just important that we maintain separation on this, as otherwise the thread might be shut down.

Secondly, where do they source those images from? I haven't seen them anywhere related to this. It is certainly not in the big 4chan copy and paste job (from thread to thread).

Thank you for cooperation.
It's literally a continuation of the same smear campaign. Even the 4chan copypaste thread you're taking orders from makes that explicitly clear.

As for the topic...

I don't think anyone in the industry takes this seriously. Why not? Because as I've previously stated, game journalism has never been anything but what it is today. Why? Because this is what people want. A serious, truly impartial journalist wouldn't cover games, and would die of starvation even if they tried.

There are two ways to actually know where the game industry is at and where it is going. Both of them involve becoming good friends with lots of game devs, and one of them involves becoming a game dev yourself. Interviewing companies will only tell you two things: where they wish they were at and where they want you to think they are at (which is actually very efficient in that HR only has to tell you one of those things for you to know both). If that's what you want, well then go right ahead and demand it. The only game journos who don't have a ton of close friends who are devs... are the ones busy distributing press releases for EA, Microsoft, and Sony. And that's why any good game journo's closest friends are game devs. The end result is a game journo industry which occasionally heaps more praise than is due on indie games which may not be that good. But considering the alternative is IGN-alikes, it's pretty obvious why this is the norm.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2014, 10:03:36 pm »

4Chan is the only community that is behaving as the watchdog.

I would happier with the corruption then have 4Chan act as a watchdog.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2014, 10:10:48 pm »

4Chan is the only community that is behaving as the watchdog.

I would happier with the corruption then have 4Chan act as a watchdog.

So, if 4chan is the only watchdog, you'd rather have no watchdog at all?  Why would you be happier with the corruption?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2014, 10:27:49 pm »

Theyre 4Chan...

If the original claims of harassment were false, they aren't anymore.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2014, 10:28:58 pm »

As the Chinese say with Mao Zedong,

4chan is many parts good while also being many parts bad
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2014, 11:01:33 pm »

4chan isn't a watchdog, it's a rabid dog.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2014, 11:02:16 pm »

Theyre 4Chan...

If the original claims of harassment were false, they aren't anymore.

Are you sure about that?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2014, 11:09:27 pm »

Are you sure about that?

It's the reason for rule 3:

3. NO DOXXING OR NUDES. JUST DON'T.

Yeah, "Doxxing" and spreading nudes is harassment.

You eat your own head

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2014, 11:14:18 pm »

Are you sure about that?

It's the reason for rule 3:

3. NO DOXXING OR NUDES. JUST DON'T.

Yeah, "Doxxing" and spreading nudes is harassment.

Any evidence of that occurring?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2014, 11:15:54 pm »

4chan isn't a watchdog, it's a rabid dog.

it is better to have evil do some good than no good at all

fake edit: dam ninjas
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2014, 11:17:39 pm »

First off, one of the guidelines in the thread is not to link anything that mentions the OTHER unpleasant business, which the image in that specifically does.
when we see them do anything in the name of their cause (because, of course, it's so justified), it's hard to be sympathetic when they play the victim card.

The title of that image set is "Zoe Quinn is a liar".

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2014, 11:20:04 pm »

I see that this is slowly drifting off the rails...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2014, 11:26:54 pm »

Trying to prevent the thread from landing on the rails as the previous two did might be a lost cause, since the ZQ stuff is actually important to the topic, so excluding it is a bit like having a Ukraine Conflict thread and not being allowed to talk about Russia in any way.

Regardless, the easiest way to save the thread is to lock it whenever people are getting heated (which doesn't seem to have happened yet), and then maybe it will survive to old age and ultimately fade into obscurity.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9