Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caravans and roads  (Read 2689 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravans and roads
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:44:37 am »

Hi all!

If I build the road from the one of the map's borders to the trade depot, will the caravans use this road only or I need to build road from all the map's borders?

Thanks in advance.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
Re: Caravans and roads
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:14:43 am »

Just one

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:40:37 am »

Thanks a lot!

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:05:58 am »

Just one

I still think wagons will bypass if they can't come in on the side of the map they want?

I'm not 100% on this hence the question mark.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:29:29 am »

No, wagons will enter at any point along the map edge where there's a (3x3) path to the depot. You don't strictly need a road (and there's no guarantee they'll use it) - it just guarantees that there is a usable 3x3 path for caravans if everything else is blocked.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Thudde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 07:58:56 am »

No, wagons will enter at any point along the map edge where there's a (3x3) path to the depot. You don't strictly need a road (and there's no guarantee they'll use it) - it just guarantees that there is a usable 3x3 path for caravans if everything else is blocked.

This is correct.  If you want caravans to use your road, you have to force them to by making the road the only 3x3 path to your fort (which was easier with the old trees).

senilking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:17:27 am »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:59:57 am by senilking »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:36:51 am »

Beware, though, that wagons have been observed to insist on arriving on certain sides of the map, possibly in relation to map features (e.g. only arriving on one side of a large river).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 05:31:07 pm »

This is correct.  If you want caravans to use your road, you have to force them to by making the road the only 3x3 path to your fort (which was easier with the old trees).

I have a 40.10 fort in a forest biome and after about 8 years the trees were so thick I had to cut a road.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 05:34:55 pm »

You're clearly not cutting down enough trees. Are you trying to keep the elves happy or something nefarious like that?

We'll be keeping an eye on you.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:03:32 pm »

I have magma forges :). Really I just don't want my dwarves to be ambushed while out in the forest.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 01:06:24 am »

If you access the caverns early enough (Like by embarking on a cave) You can cut mushrooms instead and ignore the surface.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 01:31:03 am »

Mushroom trees are definitely not a replacement for the caravans. Also, if you don't want them ambushed and killed in the forest, set up your military squads to always be in uniform, and send out your axe dwarves to cut wood. They'll kill anything in their way.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 01:38:29 am »

send out your axe dwarves to cut wood.
Does the new version finally break the old "uniform conflict" that prevented miners / woodcutters / ambushers from doing their jobs while wearing armor?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 09:29:05 am »

send out your axe dwarves to cut wood.
Does the new version finally break the old "uniform conflict" that prevented miners / woodcutters / ambushers from doing their jobs while wearing armor?
No, they still drop their military gear when the alert ends... Of course, if you never take them off military duty, it's not a problem...
Pages: [1] 2