Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cave Croc Ranch  (Read 2136 times)

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Croc Ranch
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 01:59:41 pm »

They were +trained+ but they're back to semiwild now. I don't think any of them have even fought one of my dwarves. I did plan to murder the parents after I got some hatchlings.

As far as best pets go, my war lynx has kicked a lot of ass. He latched onto that roc's head and didn't stop shaking till it was dead.
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 03:03:06 pm »

The cave croc that claimed a nestbox, and hatched 60 hatchlings in my fort, is a (-trained-) one fyi. The hatchlings that recieved training all became (tame), the ones not assigned a trainer are all (trained) now, although some started as (-trained-), but lost the -.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 05:01:34 pm »

Just a warning, cave crocs are slow as hell. I recently had 48 cave crocs finally become adults, and I immediately assigned some of them to my military dwarves. Big mistake. The battles are always long finished by the time the cave crocs get their lazy asses to the fight. They do some nice damage though, so chaining them up at choke points is useful, but don't expect them to run into battle with your dwarves, which was my hope.

(Nevermind. I completely forgot I had to edit the raws to make them trainable. So you wouldn't be able to assign them to your military anyway.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:38:11 pm by TacoSundae84 »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 06:03:55 pm »

Put about 50 of them in a cage linked to a pressure plate in your main entrance. As the attackers charge in, they trigger a crocsplosion right in the midsts of the goblin horde. It won't matter how fast the crocs are if they are deployed at point blank range.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 07:54:05 pm »

Put about 50 of them in a cage linked to a pressure plate in your main entrance. As the attackers charge in, they trigger a crocsplosion right in the midsts of the goblin horde. It won't matter how fast the crocs are if they are deployed at point blank range.

Keith

Basically this.

I've aspired to crocsplosions before but I've never been fortunate enough to capture a breeding pair. Most often, I'll get one croc wandering onto the map early in my history before I've deployed traps. Either that or they never leave the water. Or they never return after I do have traps.

I'm hoping my troubles will be alleviated with the new pathing fixes for wild cave creatures. No more giant olms getting stuck in tunnel tubes!
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 11:58:12 pm »

Just a warning, cave crocs are slow as hell. I recently had 48 cave crocs finally become adults, and I immediately assigned some of them to my military dwarves. Big mistake. The battles are always long finished by the time the cave crocs get their lazy asses to the fight. They do some nice damage though, so chaining them up at choke points is useful, but don't expect them to run into battle with your dwarves, which was my hope.

(Nevermind. I completely forgot I had to edit the raws to make them trainable. So you wouldn't be able to assign them to your military anyway.)

How do I make them trainable? I've never edited a creature like that but I gave a breeding pair of eagles and war eagles sounds cool. I wish they were giant...
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 07:00:49 am »

You just need to add the [TRAINABLE] tag in the creature's raws. If you want to do it to your current game, you need to do it to the raws in the save folder. So data/save/region#/raw/objects/creature_birds_new.txt. Find the [CREATURE:BIRD_EAGLE] tag, then put [TRAINABLE] somehwere under it. Not sure how much order matters, but I usually put it a little under the [PET] tag. Same thing for any other creature you want trainable, just need to find the creature_ file it's in.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 09:12:58 pm »

Holy crap, i just got 112 cave crocodile hatchlings explode out of the nursery. Had to toss them all in a single cage to save FPS. I wonder if anything can be done with scales? I'm confused why they cannot be turned into leather. Crocodile leather certainly is a thing in real life.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:18:04 pm by Borge »

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 08:55:03 am »

it's just not set up in the raws to work. It is a fairly simple modification to make.

• Go to Material_Template_Default.txt Add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TANNED_SCALE] to the scale template.
  • Then either copy the LEATHER_TEMPLATE rename TANNED_SCALE_TEMPLATE and change the names and adjectives to something more appropriate., or copy and paste what's in the spoiler into Material_Template_Default.txt
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Then go to b_detail_plan_default.txt add [ADD_MATERIAL:TANNED_SCALE:TANNED_SCALE_TEMPLATE] to the standard_materials template.

Unless I'm mistaken, this should work in an already established world. And, while you're in there you might as well change Chitin to work as shell.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.
Pages: 1 [2]