Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worth updating to new version from the old?  (Read 675 times)

Abadayos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worth updating to new version from the old?
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:04:50 am »

Pretty much I have been messing around with other games for a few months and am wanting to get back into DF and it's funny shenanigans that usually result in several days of play.

Now that I have wanted to play again I have noticed that a new version is up and being bug fixed/balanced and such. Now I am wondering if it is worth playing this new version with the unfinished features (I'm not big into bug testing at this time, however I do enjoy it at times)? Does it have DF Hack support and other utility/program support like 34.11 does?

Any opinions would be great.

Also what are the best new features or implemented things in this new version? What are your opinions.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Worth updating to new version from the old?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 01:16:46 am »

If you're looking for a comprehensive experience, I'd suggest you consider waiting a bit.  DFHack is about 2 versions behind right now, and bug-fixes are still coming out every Sunday.

Don't get me wrong, the new version is great and it has some neat new things in it like the bloodlines, new way trees work, more breeding options, more things to gather, better adventure mode, etc, but it's all still a bit rough and the home-brew support is just not up to the same level as 34.11 has.  Which is understandable.  34.11 had 2 years of mod development whereas the most recent version of dwarf fortress has, at best, a month.  2 days if you count from the last bugfix patch.

That all said, 40.08 is good if you just need basic DFHack support, therapist, and a few bells and whistles like 3d viewing and tile packs.  The 40.08 R3 starter pack is a good collection of the most updated tools, which includes the 40.08 R2 release of DFHack.

You can find the starter pack here (open the second spoiler and click the dropbox link for the previous packs):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg4250424#msg4250424