Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Initial Naga discussion  (Read 26154 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Initial Naga discussion
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2014, 06:38:36 pm »

More than 2 "grasp" tends to be abused by the players in one specific way, which is giving a lot of shields, to be able to block virtually any attack.
Which is not bad if its specifcally designed to be like that, for example Antmen with their four arms. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2014, 08:51:31 pm »

I guess, but it tends to ruin any semblance of balance, having undying soldier right off the bat, with their endurance being the thing that actually keeps them alive.

It makes for some really tough soldiers with a race that can be composed of flimsy individuals, which can make things interesting.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2014, 09:23:11 pm »

I guess, but it tends to ruin any semblance of balance, having undying soldier right off the bat, with their endurance being the thing that actually keeps them alive.

It makes for some really tough soldiers with a race that can be composed of flimsy individuals, which can make things interesting.
Most of the Mind Flayers are pretty damn pathetic warriors; your army should be made of buccaneers, who have four limbs, and Fell Hulks, who are tough as nails.

Anyway, back on topic.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Eko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2014, 10:43:01 pm »

Ok, update time.

Work continues on fleshing out the race. 
I have added in coral/pearls/amber in some shape/form to the game, as they are all in the base game in some way, but unused, and all three seem like something the Naga would use.  Coral, of course, is a major design idea, adding in dwarf runeforge-type-gameplay into the Naga race.  Amber will be a gemforge-like material, able to create high-quality and value furniture and objects for nobles.  Pearls will be used at the craftsdwarf or steamforge to decorate and add value to items.

The nobles are almost done, but I'm having a problem thinking of noble names that aren't copies of dwarven or orc/kobold names.  I'm struggling to find an identity type that sounds and feels unique enough to fill out the flavor.  I currently have a somewhat aquatic military theme with the military section (Admiral, Bosun, Captain etc.), but that is a small part, and might not fit in well with the royalty.  I have the traditional priestess/religious divisions as well.  I have a scaletender (doctor) which I like, but that's really the only true flavor name I can come up with.  I've thought about making a corsair-like "lord of plunder" for the bookkeeper/trader but that is a mouthful, and I can't think of something better.  Also, the mayor/leader position needs some work.  The idea of the race is that these are all excursions, habitation missions.  The Naga are used to living DEEP in the water, and their journey has brought the need for new settlements on land.  From that idea, the "town" could have a mayor, but I was thinking more of a settlement/excursion leader, or habitation coordinator.  I just don't know what names to use.

I LOVED the cuttlefish idea, and have created a material specifically for that.  I've added in an extraction/super butcher building that can harvest and refine special products like that for extra use beyond just leather armor.  I have an idea for hydra scales and salamander skin.  Shark teeth maybe as well, and cobra fangs.  All of these should be used in the production of tribal war gear, similar to the orcish weapons of the same type.  I'm considering using the steamforge to "alloy" the items with metals to create upgraded tribal gear on par with steel grade weaponry.  Perhaps a rune-like engraving system to avoid making more metals/materials. 

Temple/religion system underway, I have the tier designs written down, but not fleshed out completely yet.  I'll post them up when I come up with a more concrete list.  Right now, though, I'm working through the druidism script to determine a good way to increase/modulate the different levels.  Just throwing things against the wall with this, still need a lot more design work before I implement anything.  Similar to this is my help system lua script.  I've gotten it to pop up when I want to, but not what I want to yet.  I have it showing a full screen window, but no text yet.  Very frustrating.  Once those two scripts are done, I'll focus on this more intently, as I think this whole thing will be a nice, big selling point.

Reaction definitions are coming along, but there are a TON of them.  I came into this thinking that there wasn't as much work going into a mod here as there was, say, an unreal tournament mod, but I was wrong, and this is one of the worst offenders.  Just tons and tons of reactions that need to be individually tweaked.  Still working out bugs with my preliminary work.

Now for some visual updates, two things that I thought might help break up the walls of text that I'm always writing.

1: Addon system issues.  I'm having issues in that my addon system is "working" pretty well in r5 (not perfectly, and not automatic yet, but the basics are done), but not at all in r4.  I'm missing a lot of code.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2: Rough color-coded progress on different sections of the mod. 

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2014, 02:49:02 am »

Kind of glad you stuck with the two arms and really glad you appear to have stuck with existing weapon types as well.  I was not looking forward to trying to stack four weapons onto four different hands for the modified stonesense overlay I've been struggling with for a while, though if some bug-type civ ends up happening I will have to work it out eventually anyway.

So far, so good from what I've seen.  Keep at it and best of luck.

Edit:  On a minor note, I did have a very rough sketch for a 128x128 base for the raider caste.  Went with the monstrous, but somewhat lanky concept.  Also wanted to try a slightly different wielding angle for the sprite since they are supposed to be serpentine.  I did squish it a bit left to right towards the bottom or it would have completely blown the tiling constraints.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:52:44 am by Denisac »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2014, 04:46:10 am »

You know, it's feasible to target your mod with the df40.x versions, which means closer to R5 in many ways.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2014, 06:54:10 am »

I can offer some like this. 64x64, originally by Shockbolt for Angband, but he gave permission to use them for Masterwork.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2014, 08:43:26 am »

Those would definitely work for the ladies.  The problem is that I have been layering on the weapons, clothing and armor they're actually using.  Also, I try and drive the skin, hair and eye color based upon the creature body part colors where possible.  Looking at the raws that have been published so far in this thread they do only appear to have scales and eyes, so getting that two or three tone detail might be a little tough.  With some modification I could make the ones your showing us work, but they would not look nearly as good as the originals.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:04 am »

They are certainly not optimized for Stonesense, its neither 128x nor do they have different parts used for different bodyparts. I just wanted to let Eko know that I have both low-res sprites 16x and high-res sprites 64x, for the Naga. Not completed with all professions, but a basis is there.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2014, 02:08:23 pm »

Nobility names suggestion:

King/Queen = Trench Archon
Duke = Deep Hierarch
Count = Tide Holder
Baron = Wave Keeper
Sheriff/Captain of the Guard = Enforcer
Mayor = Director
Bookkeeper/Broker = Registrarius

I went a bit more Greek/Roman with it but it shouldn't clash with the naval military terms too much.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2014, 02:57:02 pm »

Nobility ideas:

Either make new ones (by mixing different things, like a squad-leading bookkeeper or a elected general or unlimited medical nobles), or keep exactly the same structure as Dwarves with similar names. Its easier to learn a new system OR use the old one, than have a mix of old and new.

Using RL names might help players to learn/remember it as well. Short names too. No "Trench Archon", but "Archon". It also intersting to leave some noble functions out by choice. You said you wanted a war-like raider theme for them... you could completely scrap the trader/broker noble (no trading with caravans) for example, but make unlimited squad-leader with 25 units each, and your elected mayor also serves as hammerer (with a triton) ;)

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:12 pm »

Lord of Plunder is pretty good. Personally, for my WIP Piscesi race, I went allong religious lines. First doctor is a Witch Doctor, followed by  a Carp's Hospitalier. The nobles are largely named after parts of the Carp God's body and mind, with a Carp Bishop, Pope and Avatar of the Carp God as land owners.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2014, 11:37:05 pm »

I like it, how you get deeper in the ocean as the ranks go up :D

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2014, 08:26:08 pm »

Bumping the thread solely for the purpose of suggesting that the broker/bookeeper be named Hoardmaster.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2014, 09:38:20 pm »

And maybe because Eko has not posted anything in 1 month?  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9