Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new fort  (Read 398 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
new fort
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:10:41 pm »

hey; so i just upgraded to .9 and started building my fort; i have barely finished carving the entrance when i realized i dont remember how my method works.

what i am attempting to do is have a weapon trap pit with draw bridges.

this is my entrance:

below the drawbridges; which retract is:

in the past i have done this where the bottom part is full of weapon traps; the invaders trigger the bridge to retract; forcing the invaders down; since that is now the only way of entering the fort.  however; upon descending they encounter many weapon traps; the brave souls who make it far enough trigger floodgates to bar the path forward; forcing a retreat since they can no longer enter the fort; when they get most of the way back to the first ramps they trigger the floodgates again allowing entrance into the fort; so they turn and bounce back and forward until all are dead.

my problem is that i dont remember where to put the mechanisms and if they should be set to reset or what; is this idea flawed?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: new fort
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:16:19 pm »

I can see one problem with this; if multiple creatures are getting past the weapon traps to the pressure plates which turn the floodgates on/off it's possible that they could close and then reopen it immediately and get through (also if there are pressure plates further back which close/open it won't creatures who are less far along open the floodgates for those who are at the end?)
that said an erratically opening and closing floodgate isn't bad for defense, if your militia is waiting on the other side they can easily pick off individual creatures (provided you can stop them rushing into the trap area)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: new fort
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:18:52 pm »

this is only the first line; if they do get past the gates and up the ramps there will be initially some cage traps but if you can see the designations in the first photo; that's part of the barracks which open up into the elbow after the bridges.  my hope is to force them into the two smaller side entrances and down into the pit as the only way in; though it occurs to me that there might be a problem with retracting the bridges; wouldn't i need more than one trigger and couldn't the subsequent triggers re close the bridge making the pit inaccessible?