Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help me understand power distribution  (Read 1702 times)

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me understand power distribution
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:36:21 am »

My axles/gear assemblies all say "Active", they show the correct "Total Power Needed", but they only show 100 "Total Power".  I have six water wheels attached, to this system, but they don't seem to be stacking. What am I missing?

The water wheels are in series. Roughly:

G -  - G -  - G - 
   |       |       |     
WWWWWWWWW

I tried searching the forum and wiki, but, alas, I was thwarted.

edit: Does there need to be a space between the water wheels? WWW WWW as opposed to WWWWWW?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:44:05 am by JRHaggs »

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me understand power distribution
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 12:08:44 pm »

Also relative to my interest. Never got the hang of powering structures right.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:20:27 pm »

Power distribution is a little weird. You need enough power to power everything before the whole thing will grind into gear.

I think you might be having trouble with your waterwheels. The flag for 'running' water is a little..finicky? Try separating your waterwheels from the main gear train and looking at them individually, if you can do so without dropping them.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:33:10 pm »

What direction is the water beneath them flowing? Assuming the following layout (key at bottom of post), and that the *center* tile of the water wheel is channeled out...

Code: [Select]
z:
 ☼
 |
...the level underneath should look like this:

z-1
###
~~~

And the water should be flowing either east or west.

Key:
☼ = Gear
| = axle
W = water wheel
. = open space or walkway or whatever, doesn't really matter
# = wall
~ = water

Also note that you can widen the channel and have several waterwheels parallel to one another. A waterwheel provides support for any other waterwheel whose central tile touches its own.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:17:20 pm »

It sounds like some of the wheels aren't in flowing water. Flow is really weird in how it works and is the most likely culprit when trouble shooting water wheels. Have you connected levers to the gear assemblies or done anything else that could cause them to disengage?

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 05:32:35 pm »

The water flows from the bottom left, where it is drawn from a stream, to the upper right, where it flows down through my fortress producing great joy and limitless satisfaction.

The water wheel on the right is producing 100 urists and, in concert with the gear assembly and pair of axles to which it's connected, consuming the expected 17 urists. The water wheel on the left is producing 0 urists while consuming the 16 urists expected of its components.

I have deconstructed and rebuilt the left water wheel to make sure I didn't foul something up.

I'm baffled.

edit: also, by this point, I've completely deconstructed the setup described in the OP. At this point, it's really just trying to figure out how the hell water wheels work.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:37:00 pm by JRHaggs »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 05:48:06 pm »

Your description suggests you're pumping the water from the stream. Is this correct? Pumped water doesn't flow, it "teleports" and can thus fail to power waterwheels, which require "flow" to work. Try to increase the drainage rate, so that there's 4-6 water instead of seven in most of your channel. That tends to work.
Or try it with direct "flow feed" instead of pumps.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:54:21 pm »

I think you'd need to understand what the game consider's "flowing" water to be.

The last time I used water wheels, I had a sytem where there was a big pit with water wheels suspended in the middle-ish.
Then I'd flood the pit slowly, and that would create enough "flow" to make the wheels spin.
When it was flooded I'd simply pump/drain the water out, resetting the pit, and also causing more "flow".

Each cycle would last a decent amount of time, and got me by, it also got me a shit-ton of power from a relatively small area.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 06:58:22 pm »

The water is channeled from the stream, not pumped. The rightmost square of water at the top of the image is the top of a 10 or so z-level drop. It feeds two 9x1 waterfalls and two wells.

I think you're right; I don't understand DFflow.

I demolished the one that was generating power, and the other one still was doing nothing.

?

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:24:07 pm »

Pumped water can definitely flow (see ThatAussieGuy's Mechanical River of Power for a spectacular vindication of this. I've implemented my own successful takes on the River of Power a number of times.

Where is the water going after it passes under the last wheel? If you want to induce flow, it probably needs to drain somewhere, such as off the edge of the map or into an aquifer. Once you get the flow going, you can shut off the drain to reduce lag and the water should still flow.

Darulio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 08:43:19 pm »

Pumped water can definitely flow (see ThatAussieGuy's Mechanical River of Power for a spectacular vindication of this. I've implemented my own successful takes on the River of Power a number of times.

Where is the water going after it passes under the last wheel? If you want to induce flow, it probably needs to drain somewhere, such as off the edge of the map or into an aquifer. Once you get the flow going, you can shut off the drain to reduce lag and the water should still flow.

To expand on this, I was able to create "Flow" using a closed system with a dwarf operated screwpump; it would pump water right back into itself and flow in a circle, mostly through pressure. Produced power just fine.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 10:59:28 pm »

it takes some tinkering; i had a 100 windmill wind farm and it took an hour to make sure the gras and axels to disperse the power was all correct; one mis-alignment can mess it all up

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 02:44:06 am »

Any continuous body of water that touches the map edge is considered flowing even if it's 7/7. Waterfalls are not continuous.

If you're into it, there's also an ancient magic ritual, when you drain reservoir through the map edge, then block the outflow with door and refill it to get unmoving flowing water.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 03:09:39 am »

You can use pumped water, it just has to be draining quickly enough that the spots under the wheels a re not 7/7, despite the water being pumped. I.e. it needs to be draining near enough and quickly enough to outdrain the water source. Otherwise the water will teleport past the wheels and not power them.

A foolproof way to do this is to just build your wheels within a few tiles of the edge of the map, and the edge will drain water easily fast enough to outpace a pump for a little ways out, enough to get a wheel always running.

You can drain off the edge undergroudn too - can't dig the last tile, but you can smooth and fortify it, which lets water drain past.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 10:30:03 am »

To expand on this, I was able to create "Flow" using a closed system with a dwarf operated screwpump; it would pump water right back into itself and flow in a circle, mostly through pressure. Produced power just fine.

You don't need the dwarf. Just hook the waterwheel up for perpetual motion magic.
Pages: [1] 2