Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bronze Colossus VS Gobbos  (Read 2026 times)

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Colossus VS Gobbos
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 03:09:01 pm »

If you plan purely on training marksdwarves with him, dismemberment is unnecessary.

Code: [Select]
.+++++.
.+###+.
.+#+#+.
.+###+.
.+++++.

. down ramp
# fortification
+ floor

Build the BC's cage in the middle and release him/pit him in the middle. Create a burrow on the surrounding floor tiles for your marksdwarves, and set them to defend it. Missed bolts will fall down the down ramps into channels for collection and reusing. The BC doesn't can't move, and there's no risk of some hothead axedwarf killing it with his candy toy.

Alternatively create some variation of this with a longer range so that more bolts miss. More misses means same xp with less waste.

This basically my setup but with a 10x10 room in the centre. I wanna clean all the gobbo corpses out before I drop him in though.
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 03:21:22 pm »

That's a pretty ingenious setup. Try to avoid civilian sightlines intersecting the colossus' cage - that has caused problems for me in a previous fort where I used this technique. (It's really freaking effective.)

Also, I never noticed any problems with using steel+ bolts. For training purposes, it's usually better to use an easier-to-procure material, but if you don't want to mess with training bolts vs. combat bolts, then ignoring which type your dwarves use isn't likely to hurt the colossus.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 08:15:27 pm »

I only have fortifications on three sides to avoid the line-of-sight issues. It's just as effective too
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.
Pages: 1 [2]