Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428490 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #4035 on: April 15, 2021, 05:06:28 pm »

You raise a good point.

Most current and former military are better trained in the use of force than police officers
Also, damn. It's that bad? Perhaps I should change my stance from 'completely abolishing the police is not the answer' to 'go ahead and abolish the police, replace them with the army until a new police have been created that actually protects all citizens'.
Only use military that have never been deployed to war though. Everyone loses at least part of their sanity when killing people (especially if half of the people you kill are children)

EDIT: I might need to clarify my last remark. It's not an accusation. It's just that... What do you think the average age of an 'enemy terrorist IS combatant' is, especially in the later phase of the war?
Many are just 14-15 year old kids.
War is nasty and terrible.
Is a US soldier killing a 14 year old (that points a gun at him) a child murderer? No he is not. The people who send children into the war are guilty of their deaths, not the soldier pulling the trigger in a 'it's him or me' situation.

EDIT2: In a hypothetical situation, where the only recruits available to create a police force from, are two groups of war veterans..
One group goes to PTTS therapy, and/or trauma councelling, the other group says 'Don't worry, I'm fine'.
I'd choose the group that goes to therapy for police training.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 05:27:37 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: April 15, 2021, 05:43:04 pm »

You cannot use the military for police actions, domestically or abroad.  The military's job is to kill people and break their shit, full stop.  They can't enforce the law, they can't win hearts and minds, they can kill people and they can break shit.  That's why we've been embroiled in these counterinsurgencies for the last twenty years.
Shoes...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: April 15, 2021, 05:52:24 pm »

It's not that it doesn't happen to white people, it's that it disproportionately happens to non-whites. If a person walk into a room of 100 people, 80 white and 20 black, and shoots 20 people, and it turns out 18 of those shot are black and 2 are white....then it's probably true that there was some racism going on there in that shooting. After 100 shootings with the same ratio, then it becomes ridculous to argue racism isn't a factor.

Other people: This argument doesn't need a devil's advocate

Me, a contrarian: But what if it's the event organisers that are racist and have placed all the black people by the door

It’s their fault for being late then, though that is of course nothing to do with the very circuitous route/obstacle course they were forced to take in order to get there.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: April 15, 2021, 05:54:48 pm »

You cannot use the military for police actions, domestically or abroad.  The military's job is to kill people and break their shit, full stop.  They can't enforce the law, they can't win hearts and minds, they can kill people and they can break shit.  That's why we've been embroiled in these counterinsurgencies for the last twenty years.
I totally agree. But when the situation is as dire as nenjin says it is, namely that, to transcribe it to your words, the police's modus operandi is even more 'kill people and break their shit' than it is the military's.... Houston.. We have a problem.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: April 15, 2021, 06:06:18 pm »

Lot more places than just Houston has the problem, really. It's harder to find a precinct in the US that doesn't have a history of nasty shit than to find one that does. A lot harder. Nearly impossible, and usually when it's not public record locals are well able (if not always willing) to inform you that's just because the area's cops are better at keeping it out of the news :-\

Whole goddamn institution is rotten as hell.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: April 15, 2021, 06:18:34 pm »

Uhmmm. Movie reference. (Houston being used by me as a methaphor for the entire USA)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: April 15, 2021, 06:27:08 pm »

I guess statistically it would be more like:

Room of 100 people. 20 are Black, 80 are not (and are mostly white).

Cops shoot 20 of the people. If race doesn't influence who the cops shoot, should be four Black people and sixteen white people.

Instead, say that it's 8 Black people and 12 white people. More white people are being shot in absolute terms, but 12/80 = 3/20 = 15% are being shot, whereas 8/20 = 2/5 = 40% of the Black people are being shot. 8 and 12 are pretty close if you're just looking at a pile of bodies on the floor, but if you think "hmm, I have a 40% chance to get shot, as opposed to a 15% chance of getting shot," maybe the next thing you think is, "hey, why don't I get only a 15% chance of getting shot too???"

Ouch!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: April 15, 2021, 06:45:01 pm »

Scriver's methapor (if I understood it correctly) just points out the institutional racism that puts black people into the line of police fire more often than it does white people.
The police being racist or not is inconsequential. They're a symptom of an underlying issue. Poverty and hopelesness affecting black people disproportionally.

EDIT: to put it in other words. The police being racist is not the problem. The problem is company X rather hiring or promoting John McWhiteface than John McBlackface, when both have equal credentials.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 06:51:13 pm by martinuzz »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: April 15, 2021, 07:07:02 pm »

Why not both?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: April 15, 2021, 07:34:28 pm »

Cut a tree's leaves, they will regrow.
Cut a tree's roots, and it will wither.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: April 15, 2021, 07:47:26 pm »

It's not that it doesn't happen to white people, it's that it disproportionately happens to non-whites. If a person walk into a room of 100 people, 80 white and 20 black, and shoots 20 people, and it turns out 18 of those shot are black and 2 are white....then it's probably true that there was some racism going on there in that shooting. After 100 shootings with the same ratio, then it becomes ridculous to argue racism isn't a factor.

Other people: This argument doesn't need a devil's advocate

Me, a contrarian: But what if it's the event organisers that are racist and have placed all the black people by the door

They put them all by the door, and also made sure the police were all violent racists.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: April 15, 2021, 11:42:32 pm »

Cut a tree's leaves, they will regrow.
Cut a tree's roots, and it will wither.

Fair, but in this case the purpose of the leaves is to be the weapon of the roots. This is all that "protecting private property" stuff from police violence during the protests last summer.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4047 on: April 16, 2021, 03:59:57 am »

The police being racist is not the problem. The problem is company X rather hiring or promoting John McWhiteface than John McBlackface, when both have equal credentials.

Which is an argument that falls down when you break the rates down by race and poverty and find that poor black people are 1.5x as likely to be killed by police than poor white people, and 'least-poor' black people are 3.35x more likely to be killed than least-poor white people. The second one especially shoots a big hole in the argument.

I know it's not an argument you were actually making, but it's still worth noting this argument isn't a good one.

That there are more poor black people could be making police more likely to treat a black person like they do a poor person even if that black person isn't a poor person, but that's the inherent problem and literal body count associated with racial profiling and why police...ya know, shouldn't do that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:09:51 am by MorleyDev »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: April 16, 2021, 07:26:55 am »

Another day, another police killing.

This time a 13 year old boy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: April 16, 2021, 10:33:58 am »

19 seconds. That's all the time he gave that kid.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 295