Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429769 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3690 on: July 20, 2020, 12:33:41 am »

Yeah, that's the least harm that could come to them. Monopoly money is useful stuff, it can break or save lives...but it's still just numbers on a page. A computer page, these days. Just look at how the Fed has been doing things these past few months for a big example. That is not the true power, control of labor is.

Trump is hardly the only one to "lose it all" again and again, and yet suddenly find himself rich anyway. I'm sure none of us believe that's any skill at work. They've just got a safety net, a real one, and there is an incentive to prove to the ruling class that their net usually will catch them if they fall.

Whereas for a worker, the price is often death. Epstein had to literally be on the verge of selling out half a dozen world leaders before they fed him to the grinder!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: July 20, 2020, 12:35:38 am »

Trump is hardly the only one to "lose it all" again and again, and yet suddenly find himself rich anyway.

Yuuuup.  Wealth is a matter of status as much as, if not more than, one's score in the imaginary number game.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: July 20, 2020, 12:49:44 am »

Social status just exists as a pattern in some brains, it's just as imaginary as computer numbers! Clearly what we have to do is hack the brains of every human on earth.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: July 20, 2020, 01:30:57 am »

Property damage is not violence.

It is according to the Oxford dictionary:
1. Behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:33:35 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: July 20, 2020, 01:33:20 am »

Bumber is correct.  This is why "The violence of the storm" is valid use.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: July 20, 2020, 01:35:30 am »

Bumber is correct.  This is why "The violence of the storm" is valid use.

I think that's an example of definition 2: "Strength of emotion or of a destructive natural force."
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: July 20, 2020, 01:36:28 am »

Clearly what we have to do is hack the brains of every human on earth.

I think this is called education.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: July 20, 2020, 01:37:16 am »

Context matters, though, and in the context of discussing the behavior of protesters, describing it as violence is not linguistically honest or useful in comparison to other human acts described as violence or in attempts to draw an equivalence between protesters and violent criminals or the violence police use against them.

And in the spirit of recognizing that, it's much more effective communication to simply state that property destruction (in the context of protest and controversy surrounding it) is not violence
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:40:43 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: July 20, 2020, 01:38:57 am »

So is a police officer smashing up someone's house a violent or non-violent act?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:40:43 am by Bumber »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: July 20, 2020, 01:41:25 am »

So is a police officer smashing up someone's house a violent or non-violent act?

Violent, as I made clear not long ago.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: July 20, 2020, 01:54:17 am »

Well, that's one method. The other is nanomachines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: July 20, 2020, 01:58:23 am »

Well, that's one method. The other is nanomachines.

As a Metal Gear fan, I think the choice is obvious.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: July 20, 2020, 02:09:13 am »

Don't be so silly.

Propaganda is highly effective, and does the same job.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: July 20, 2020, 02:11:15 am »

Words mean what people use them to mean. My point saying "property damage is not violence" is to criticize the tendency of people to equate protester "violence" to police "violence."

Graffiti and window smashing are not on the same level as swinging batons, rubber bullets, tear gas, arrests, etc. People who say "well the protesters are violent too!" are gratuitously falsely equating these, and that's ultimately what I want to disagree with. Bodily harm is far worse. Along with standard issues of responsibility, where someone in a position of authority (ie, a police officer or riot cop) has more liability than someone without comparatively power (like a protester).

If my previous statement(s) did not convey this, I rescind them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: July 20, 2020, 02:30:30 am »

Violent, as I made clear not long ago.

What about somebody smashing church windows?

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 295