Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429790 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3675 on: July 19, 2020, 01:44:13 pm »

They don’t subscribe to it, or haven’t signed up to it, or whatever it is. They certainly don’t recognize it as legitimate, especially as it pertains to trying Americans.

Ninja’d.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: July 19, 2020, 01:58:37 pm »

Maybe if the entire public body is against law enforcement as you say, that might be taken as some sort of indication as to the reality of the so-called "crimes".
I've seen recordings where someone gets arrested by police shortly after they did something very clearly wrong in that very same recording (like assaulting a police officer), and there's still a bunch of clueless people surrounding them, interfering and screaming "he didn't do nothing!". They are either lying or willfully ignorant of any wrongdoing from their side, and any indications of that wrongdoing are clearly lies and fabricated evidence.

Post it.

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: July 19, 2020, 09:17:22 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:49:29 pm by Toady One »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: July 19, 2020, 09:27:23 pm »

Obvious troll is obvious.

Feeding time should not commence.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: July 19, 2020, 09:32:27 pm »

Property damage is not violence.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: July 19, 2020, 09:32:56 pm »

Dare I ask... in what way was George Floyd not murdered?  It seems pretty clear from the video.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: July 19, 2020, 09:33:44 pm »

Don’t do it!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: July 19, 2020, 09:33:49 pm »

I think they forgot to add a "yet" to it.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: July 19, 2020, 11:26:40 pm »

Property damage can be harmful to people, in which case I consider it violence.  But in most cases where it's associated with protest, nobody is being harmed, and it's not violence.

Smashing up someone's home is violence.  Smashing a bank window is not violence.  One is likely to directly impact an individual's well-being.  The other is not.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: July 19, 2020, 11:31:12 pm »

But the bank will have to divert some of that money they make through the fractional reserve inflationary cycle, to.... *gasp*... Put it into the economy to replace the window!

Think of the financial violence that happens when that money is not allowed to exponentially inflate!

/s

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: July 19, 2020, 11:46:14 pm »

And yet... *sigh*, I hate to take this side:
The cost of that broken window is distributed among the shareholders of the bank, or everyone who stores their savings in it (via interest rates).  The same amount of harm is being done, it's just distributed between more people.  A few of which are the impossibly wealthy ghouls in charge, sure, but their portion of the harm is infinitesimal.  It's barely noticeable for normal shareholders, much less the megawealthy.

It mostly impacts the employees at the physical bank, who just had their workday interrupted with a smashed window.  They're human shields for the corporate executives.  It's horrible.

I kinda want to go on about how shareholders are people too... pension plans, a lot of the time.  But that's going off-thread.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: July 19, 2020, 11:50:11 pm »

That is a fine enough point, but it should only serve to make one wonder why harm that is crushing to workers but weightless to society is never treated in such a way. For surely if a mere bank is financially invincible through that distribution, then the whole of the public should be able to weather more.

Ah, but we live in the Empire of Personal Responsibility, so such a thing is worse than illegal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: July 20, 2020, 12:07:34 am »

I hate to say this... as I do NOT want to be seen as inciting to criminal acts...

But the thing that needs to be targeted?  Digital holdings of currency valuation.  A dedicated effort to delete all the money of the world's wealthy.  It would need a conspiracy, and thus is a difficult thing to have happen from the start, but here is how it could go.

1) An organized group of young people take stock of who all (among them) work at banks.
2) Of that group, those with access to accounts, records, and backups are taken.
3) These individuals plan a date and time, then zero the balances of the world's wealthy, and wipe the backups.
4) Watch the fireworks, as the rich demand to have their wealth reinstated.

MUCH more effective than lobbing a brick through a window.  Sadly, it needs a bona-fide conspiracy. (because bank networks are insulated from the normal internet for this very reason. It would HAVE to be a dedicated inside-job.)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: July 20, 2020, 12:26:15 am »

I hate to say this... as I do NOT want to be seen as inciting to criminal acts...

But the thing that needs to be targeted?  Digital holdings of currency valuation.  A dedicated effort to delete all the money of the world's wealthy.  It would need a conspiracy, and thus is a difficult thing to have happen from the start, but here is how it could go.

1) An organized group of young people take stock of who all (among them) work at banks.
2) Of that group, those with access to accounts, records, and backups are taken.
3) These individuals plan a date and time, then zero the balances of the world's wealthy, and wipe the backups.
4) Watch the fireworks, as the rich demand to have their wealth reinstated.

MUCH more effective than lobbing a brick through a window.  Sadly, it needs a bona-fide conspiracy. (because bank networks are insulated from the normal internet for this very reason. It would HAVE to be a dedicated inside-job.)

It would have to target the trillions in secret offshore holdings, too.  This conspiracy would have to be widespread and deeply embedded.

And yet... *sigh*, I hate to take this side:
The cost of that broken window is distributed among the shareholders of the bank, or everyone who stores their savings in it (via interest rates).  The same amount of harm is being done, it's just distributed between more people.  A few of which are the impossibly wealthy ghouls in charge, sure, but their portion of the harm is infinitesimal.  It's barely noticeable for normal shareholders, much less the megawealthy.

It mostly impacts the employees at the physical bank, who just had their workday interrupted with a smashed window.  They're human shields for the corporate executives.  It's horrible.

I kinda want to go on about how shareholders are people too... pension plans, a lot of the time.  But that's going off-thread.

Anyway, yeah, what you say is true.  But it remains that smashing up someone's home is likely a life-altering/ruining event, while smashing a bank window is unlikely to be any more inconvenience to anyone than blocking a highway, which you could also argue could get some low-level workers fired by making them late to work.  In fact, I'd call the bank window smashing less violent than blocking a highway on that basis alone.  Either way, I'd still call smashing up an individual's home violence, but the other examples not.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 12:32:12 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: July 20, 2020, 12:28:56 am »

These people have social and political power too, remember. If you delete their numbers in the computer, their buddies in government will just restore them by fiat.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 295