Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429841 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3630 on: June 27, 2020, 10:42:48 pm »

Problem of police brutality and racism down under is mainly a 'deaths in custody' issue.  (The police carry guns but don't often use them - wonder if the massive amount of paperwork they have to fill out every time they draw their firearm has anything to do with it?)  Doesn't stop indigenous blacks from frequently being beaten up during arrest and subsequently in the poice watchhouse. 

Stumbled across this today.  Is the incarceration rate similarly inflected in the US?

Some words from Lidia Thorpe, incoming Greens Senator for Victoria (and aboriginal woman):
"Police brutality could not exist if our humanity was equally recognised. That’s what is missing from this picture: the compassion that comes from meeting people at eye level and not from a position of power looking down."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: June 28, 2020, 01:19:52 am »

The relative number of indigenous aussies imprisoned is indeed terrible, but Australia only has 26 million people total... we've got nearly a tenth of that just in our prison and jail system, and nearly a quarter if you include probation and parole populations.

Hell, I think even if you break it down by states they're all higher than 152 per 100,000, and it just gets worse if you start narrowing it down like black, male, 18 to 35 where we're getting to alarming fractions like 1/12 or 1/10 and shit.

Not like it's a new thing though.

They're trying to build a prison, another prison system, for you and me!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: June 28, 2020, 12:46:47 pm »

Aurora PD breaking up the peaceful violin vigil for the very kid they murdered

Man, cops really hate facing any consequences whatsoever for murdering innocent black kids, huh?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: June 28, 2020, 12:53:43 pm »

It's time for a UN sanctioned international coalition force to declare war on the US and invade them to end human rights abuse and bring democracy.
Also, they are reported to have WMDs, and a dictator with golden showers palaces so that's an extra reason to invade.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:55:37 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: June 28, 2020, 01:33:34 pm »

https://twitter.com/theobserver/status/1275957594285359105

Boy, newspapers really going after cops, by saying that slaughter and genocide are "inappropriate" for people whose jobs involve getting away with murder. Looks like they did agree that they could have used stronger language, then go on to not do that thing.

It's time for a UN sanctioned international coalition force to declare war on the US and invade them to end human rights abuse and bring democracy.
Also, they are reported to have WMDs, and a dictator with golden showers palaces so that's an extra reason to invade.

Agreed.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: June 30, 2020, 01:26:07 pm »

More videos of rioters attacking people and smashing private property.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1277135563473158146

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: June 30, 2020, 03:02:56 pm »

More videos of rioters attacking people and smashing private property.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1277135563473158146

Rioters meaning "riot police", in case anyone can't open the link for whatever reason.
I mean, the events are called the police riots for a reason.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: July 05, 2020, 06:43:31 pm »

Another story by a lawyer, describing how the legal system actually works.
https://twitter.com/WangCecillia/status/1279128933695287296

Also, a thread about drivers trying to run over protestors. Several people have been killed.
https://twitter.com/lilalololol/status/1279509666704187392
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:04:39 pm by Iduno »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: July 17, 2020, 01:13:38 am »

https://twitter.com/alsoconnor/status/1283903281564053504?s=19

Portland's gone rather police state.

Beware of the fashy replies to that tweet.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: July 17, 2020, 10:29:18 am »

The mayor actually asked the Feds to get off the streets, but they said no.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-mayor-ted-wheeler-tweets-federal-officers/
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: July 17, 2020, 06:04:13 pm »

Ferguson, Flint, Standing Rock...it's been building too long, and now they're doing it in broad daylight.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: July 17, 2020, 07:04:46 pm »

Beware of the fashy replies to that tweet.

I hope I'm not the only one depressed by how many people are fine with people being snatched by unmarked vans as long as it's their own side doing the snatching.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: July 17, 2020, 07:47:04 pm »

Eeyup.

I'm hoping they're police sockpuppets.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: July 17, 2020, 09:00:46 pm »

The Washington Post has some more information on what's going down in Portland. Link here, though being the Post paywalls are a thing.

A few choice quotes:

One widely shared video showed two men in military garb on the street at night taking a young man wearing all black into custody. On the video, the two agents do not answer shouted questions before putting the man into an unmarked minivan and driving away.

On Friday, Customs and Border Protection issued a statement taking responsibility for the apprehension and asserting its agents were wearing gear that identified them as CBP personnel.

CBP agents went after that individual because they suspected he was involved in “assaults against federal agents or destruction of federal property,” the statement said. “Once CBP agents approached the suspect, a large and violent mob moved towards their location. For everyone’s safety, CBP agents quickly moved the suspect to a safer location for further questioning.”

The agency said the CBP agents identified themselves and were wearing CBP insignia during the apprehension.

CBP’s acting commissioner, Mark Morgan, tweeted Friday that his agents are not hiding their affiliation and are “clearly marked as federal [law enforcement officers] & have unique identifiers.”

Ugh, I should have probably assumed that if federal agents were going to go gestapo somewhere, it'd be in DHS (where CBP is located). I can only hope that this gets enough attention to prompt them pulling back.

I tried looking for the statement mentioned in the article and had trouble finding an official statement. Did find this gem from yesterday though listing a "snapshot of the lawless destruction and violence." Now there is a smattering of not-great actions in there, I'll admit, but when the best you can do is phrasing like "Violent anarchists graffitied [X location]," "mortar-style fireworks," "firing wrist rockets at the facility" (slingshots? batmen?)... maybe rethink the press release plan? One would think DHS would at least be better at spinning it.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 295