Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 430038 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3360 on: June 17, 2020, 09:52:46 am »

Yep to that. Those arguments against the abolish-police-departments are effectively argument ad absurdum - the argument goes that if you do <thing X> then <ridiculous outcome> would happen, and this would be contradictory in some fashion, therefore <thing X> will never work.

The problem with those arguments is that you only need one counter-example where the crazy conclusions didn't happen, and all those arguments are just invalid by definition without needing to waste time addressing the specifics. If someone presents you with an argument that something can't work when there are clear examples of it actually working, it's a red herring / trap to get involved in a detailed debate about the specifics of their criticism.

It's like someone sticking a perpetual motion machine design in your face or challenging you with some flat-earth modelling they did. You can just reject those out of hand, because they're clearly wrong without wasting the time going through the details to spot where they got it wrong.

In this case, as in the anti-universal-heathcare arguments, which are similar ("death panels" is one example) they're clearly wrong-by-definition, because there exist examples of places which successfully did this exact same thing. Yes, there exist examples of places that abolished the entire police force and then reconstituted a new one along totally different lines. To say that can't work is like being an anti-flight person after the Wright Brothers flew their first plane. Whatever arguments you come up with are clearly going to be wrong before you even thought them up, because they're working backwards from a conclusion that was already wrong.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 09:56:36 am by Reelya »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: June 17, 2020, 10:32:07 am »

Let's also note that black cops have done wrong by black citizens plenty of times in the past. I'd make them all reapply for their jobs.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: June 17, 2020, 11:04:26 am »

Definitely. Adding black cops has probably always been a bandaid solution to make it look like they're addressing the problem. When the problem is the system, the culture the training, and also corruption, merely grafting on preferential recruitment treatment or setting quotas for people with a specific skin color isn't going to change anything.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: June 17, 2020, 11:33:28 am »

lmao fuck the cops
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: June 17, 2020, 12:47:43 pm »

Hopefully surprising no one at this point who isn't determined to be a bootlicker to the grave

Baltimore police testify in court that they were directed to carry toy guns to plant on people after shooting them.

A lot of police shootings have involved people with toy guns, earning the benefit of the doubt in those cases that they were reasonably reacting to a perceived threat that would force a split-second decision.  This should put those cases in a new light.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: June 17, 2020, 12:55:21 pm »

"Open and shut case, Johnson. Just sprinkle some crack on him and let's get out of here"
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3366 on: June 17, 2020, 02:30:39 pm »

I must be naive, because that honestly astonished me. A toy guy really should be a bad enough excuse that they’d plant real guns instead. Those are some incredibly evil cops and negligient juries.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: June 17, 2020, 02:53:26 pm »

They do plant real guns, but that's a harder ask from a group of people who half-ass everything they do. Toy guns are easy and just as acceptable of an excuse as real ones.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: June 17, 2020, 02:56:14 pm »

I must be naive, because that honestly astonished me. A toy guy really should be a bad enough excuse that they’d plant real guns instead. Those are some incredibly evil cops and negligient juries.
Most of these cases, police don't get charged, so there's no trial.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: June 17, 2020, 04:14:42 pm »

The guys who shot Rashard Brooks had completed a 9 hour de-escalation training less than a week before.  I don't think training is how to fix this.  Gotta rip it out by the roots

Most cities have most of the proposed changes already implemented. It's a smokescreen so the ruling class doesn't have to give up anything in exchange for protests stopping.

Definitely. Adding black cops has probably always been a bandaid solution to make it look like they're addressing the problem. When the problem is the system, the culture the training, and also corruption, merely grafting on preferential recruitment treatment or setting quotas for people with a specific skin color isn't going to change anything.

Same as the bullshit suggestion that we solve problems with ICE and other groups by having more women and non-whites torturing people instead of white men doing it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:17:38 pm by Iduno »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: June 17, 2020, 04:17:27 pm »

Real guns have serial numbers and stuff, and it apparently doesn't need to be real to "justify" shooting the victim.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: June 17, 2020, 04:25:21 pm »

It's also victim-blaming to the level of blaming rape victims for their assaults if they did anything that left them vulnerable, and saying that this somehow absolves the rapist of guilt.

He's not a victim just because he got killed and happened to be black. Brooks attacked cops without provocation, stole their weapon, and shot at them. He was a violent criminal and an active threat.
They questioned him for half an hour then went to cuff him, one of them pulled a taser and during the scuffle he got it from them, I'm sure he said something like "he's got my taser" but to be fair he may have said "HE'S GOT A WEAPON NOW, TIME TO KILL HIM" because again, cops do that.

He was a threat to one person in the sense that he might tase someone if he hit and stopped running.

A running target is not threatening, it's as non-threatening as it gets, really, the fuck kinda shit you gotta do to jump through the logical hoops to see someone running from two probable murderers with a single shot less-lethal weapon as a violent criminal and a threat?

They frisked him before cuffs came out, he magically got a gun out of his butt? Both cops had theirs, are they just being careful in case their buddy ALSO lost their gun instead of one of them losing their taser? Why the assumption he's a criminal automatically? He's what you call a murder victim, he was murdered by two cowards who had him outnumbered, outgunned, and believed they were justified in murdering him.

I don't accept the idea that the state is allowed to exert violence against me as valid, it doesn't do it reasonably, it doesn't control said violence, it is a lumbering behemoth grinding the little things living in it's shadow to death accidentally all the time.

I am tiny and weak compared to it, I cannot even defend myself against it, much less prevent it from harming others, all I can do is rely on agility and knowledge to learn where it has blind spots because I do not trust it with the power it wields, I am not safe around it, neither are you, it simply hasn't noticed you at the moment, and it is not about to step on you probably.

Cops are the toxic little antibodies operating within this behemoth, co-opted from the population of little creatures it looms over, and turned against them. They do not exist to help anything except the bureaucratic beast and it's riders stay on top, the difference between you, and me, and a criminal is a matter of where said beast looks and what said riders whisper into it's ears. Do not be so quick to bandy that label around for them, it is too easily turned into an ever widening noose for us little stompable things.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: June 17, 2020, 05:16:59 pm »

In this case, as in the anti-universal-heathcare arguments, which are similar ("death panels" is one example) they're clearly wrong-by-definition, because there exist examples of places which successfully did this exact same thing. Yes, there exist examples of places that abolished the entire police force and then reconstituted a new one along totally different lines. To say that can't work is like being an anti-flight person after the Wright Brothers flew their first plane. Whatever arguments you come up with are clearly going to be wrong before you even thought them up, because they're working backwards from a conclusion that was already wrong.

Different people are different. You can blame nature or nurture or whatever, but the fact is that people in one country will react to a set of circumstances in a completely different way compared to people in another country.
Americans are assholes. And they are entrenched within a system that is designed from the ground up to train them to be assholes, and indeed require them to be assholes on a daily basis just to survive. Any sort of proposed policy that hinges upon the assumption that Americans will be decent and reasonable to one another is doomed to failure, regardless of precedent set by other countries who succeeded with similar policies.

A running target is not threatening, it's as non-threatening as it gets, really

A target who is aiming a weapon and shooting at you is as threatening as it gets. The fact that he was moving away only served to remove any option of disarming him and ending his threat without utilizing a gun.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: June 17, 2020, 05:32:45 pm »

@Folly
Just because someone lives in the USA does not mean they are an asshole. I live there, have all my life, and I’m nice to everyone who’s nice to me, which is a lot of people. While some people here are assholes, not everyone is. Also, if a person is running away, that’s a clear indication that they are not interested in conflict

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: June 17, 2020, 05:36:27 pm »

The cop who shot him apparently knew the stolen taser had been fired twice, and he's being charged with felony murder.

Consider me goddamn fucking gobsmacked that *checks notes* Atlanta of all places is apparently trying to be on the ball here about their cops murdering people.

So no, in fact he was not a threat, he was completely unthreatening, the only thing he could do with that taser was activate the light, which he did, but I guess intent to dazzle is enough to murder someone... GOD SAVE LADY GAGA!
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 295