Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 431087 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2925 on: June 03, 2020, 03:20:49 pm »

From what I'm reading, Chauvin is being charged with second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter; while the other three are being charged with both aiding and abetting second-degree unintentional murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

This is fairly good in my uninformed opinion, as it's extremely unlikely that after these events anyone will allege conspiracy against the cops and successfully get on the jury. Thus, the normal fallacy of overcharging isn't present. What is a risk is either that the judge will throw out the video or that the jury will convict but only on the manslaughter charges.

And yeah, I'd actually be fairly happy with the cops getting Epstein'd, but as per my previous posts I seriously don't see the ruling class wanting to send that message to their cops.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: June 03, 2020, 03:23:38 pm »

Fall on your sword to protect the status quo? I dunno, that seems like the kind of thing I'd expect from this day and age.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: June 03, 2020, 03:28:43 pm »

Fall on your sword to protect the status quo? I dunno, that seems like the kind of thing I'd expect from this day and age.

That if they get caught in a situation like this, they'll be expected to fall on their sword instead of depending on the state to have their back.  Would definitely damage the relationship.  Impunity is what police get in exchange for protecting the power structure.  If that deal falls through and it's now just a paycheck....
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: June 03, 2020, 03:31:24 pm »

I mean I doubt our erstwhile officer of the law would do it himself, but someone might do it for him. Not like anyone ever suffered consequences over Epstein.

Can you imagine those riots, though?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: June 03, 2020, 03:49:35 pm »

At that point you're talking about cops just giving up on their jobs. There probably is a population who would accept an arrangement of "don't get caught, but if you do you have to do The Honorable Thing", but that is not the current group who are cops. If you want to talk about a scenario where people start raising the red-and-black over cities unopposed, getting the cops to quit would be the way for it to happen.

The question is, do the people who would Epstein this guy know that?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: June 03, 2020, 03:51:47 pm »

The question is, do the people who would Epstein this guy know that?

Ya. They either know it would be the beginning of the end, and so they don't, or they do it in their ignorance and set things off. I don't know which. I can easily believe that there are people in power stupid enough to go for it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: June 03, 2020, 03:54:52 pm »

I lack the American Political knowledge to know the identity and metaphorical application of Epstein beyond his name and that he is (was?) a he, may I ask who/what he was/is?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: June 03, 2020, 04:00:44 pm »

A finance guy who was in an intersecting social circle of many political and business leaders of the US and UK, and also someone who trafficked and raped children within those circles. He got arrested one too many times and...ahem...hanged himself in his cell hard enough to snap his hyoid bone. A tragic...mistake, and just before he was going to testify about his accomplices, too!
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: June 03, 2020, 04:02:29 pm »

I lack the American Political knowledge to know the identity and metaphorical application of Epstein beyond his name and that he is (was?) a he, may I ask who/what he was/is?
Numerous info you can find by just googling.
But, essentially a rich guy that hobnobbed with many celebrities and political figures in the western world.
He was charged with sexual abuse or some other involving underage girls over the years, bringing them to his home(s), private islands and whatnot.

He is dead now, 'suicide', while he was sitting in jail, before he could face the justice system and potentially reveal more of his doings, including info about his many 'friends' that could have taken part in the sexual abuse of minors.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: June 03, 2020, 04:05:44 pm »

Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: June 03, 2020, 04:23:28 pm »

Not only are cops warcriming medics, they're also destroying food, water, and medical supplies.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: June 03, 2020, 04:25:00 pm »

Can you explain what this meme is/means? I’ve seen it a few times but am unsure of what it means here

Ninja’ d
Not only are cops warcriming medics, they're also destroying food, water, and medical supplies.
in what universe is protecting and serving equivilant to destroying necessary supplies?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: June 03, 2020, 04:32:09 pm »

Can you explain what this meme is/means? I’ve seen it a few times but am unsure of what it means here
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/blinking-white-guy
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: June 03, 2020, 04:32:34 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/30/624918812/minneapolis-investigates-police-use-of-ketamine-on-suspects

Police and paramedics in Minneapolis forcing ketamine on people, sometimes for the purpose of enrolling them in a medical study without consent.  We're rolling back 60 years now to the era of unwilling human experimentation.

Edit:  Just noticed the story is 2 years old.

Here's a news article on the final draft of the report dated not long after the first link.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:39:50 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: June 03, 2020, 04:37:24 pm »

It expresses disbelief, or the person posting it is suggesting a double take on their part. In this circumstance, it refers to me pausing for a few seconds processing what had just been posted because despite my deeply ingrained cynicism whatever I had expected to be told about Epstien wasn’t that.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 295