Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 430173 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2715 on: December 08, 2019, 10:19:03 pm »

The sad thing is, if 40% of cops that abused their domestic partner were reported, it might actually be a better reporting rate the normal for domestic violence. Far as I can recall the percentages on reporting domestic violence are pretty fucking abysmal :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: January 29, 2020, 01:12:04 pm »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/28/maryland-police-officer-fatally-shoots-man-handcuffed-cruiser/4595519002/
"A short time later, for reasons that are now at the center of the investigation, Green was shot seven times by the officer’s duty weapon," the statement says.

Setting aside that there was a case of a guy with skin that "was better at producing melanin" or that after his car "was stopped and parked at the side of the road" and he "was in handcuffs in a cruiser" how in the fuck do these cuntbags justify that sort of language use?

Did the fucking cop drop his gun which then tumbled down the embankment as he chased it, and it accidentally went off seven times, striking the cuffed dude?

There's no "was shot seven times by the weapon" it's "was shot seven times for no reason by the murderous bitchboi racist who pulled him over" dammit, fuck off with that sort of weasel word bullshit.

What a cowardly offal-spewing pus-gargling shit-nazi.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: January 29, 2020, 01:18:01 pm »

Green was shot seven times by the officer’s duty weapon
I thought guns don't kill people - it was supposed to be people?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: January 29, 2020, 01:29:28 pm »

Green was shot seven times by the officer’s duty weapon
I thought guns don't kill people - it was supposed to be people?
I thought it was bullets.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: January 29, 2020, 04:53:12 pm »

The police chief is accusing the officer of shooting Green, so he has to be careful what he states as fact.  The accused officer might be claiming that someone else fired the gun.  Or he just shut up and lawyered up - as a cop, he probably knows better than to volunteer ANY information.  Even the statement that both officers supposedly administered medical treatment might just be from the non-suspect officer.

Whereas it can be quickly verified that the bullets came from the suspect's duty weapon.

No body cams of course, though I guess it's nice that they have them in the budget this year.  Bit late, huh, but good.

Putting suspects in the front passenger seat because the cars don't have front-back dividers?  That's a thing??  That seems really weird.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: January 29, 2020, 05:09:27 pm »

That's definitely not SOP. Especially if you think the suspect is dangerous. Might also be because the dash cam can't see them there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: January 29, 2020, 09:43:19 pm »

Didn't even think about him not wanting to be seen on dash cam just straight up murdering the dude as he sat in his car, and even if the statement was intended to avoid accusing the guy directly... I mean, what else could possibly be used as a reason for that kinda shit?

If we have roaming ninja hitmen running around pickpocketing holstered weapons to cap random black dudes before returning them to the cop's holster... that's a pretty fucking serious issue, right?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: January 29, 2020, 10:48:13 pm »

Well that's the thing, the police chief *is* directly accusing the officer. But like any other suspect he can't just state that the officer is guilty before conviction. That's why people are called suspects even if they do a crime in front of dozens of witnesses and live TV- they still get a day in court, and it's not supposed to be a foregone conclusion. Assuming they survive the police, of course.

I'm not about theorycrafting excuses for cops anymore, but I'd guess the defense will claim the man grabbed the gun and shot himself. 7 times, yeah... but he was allegedly on substances so I can imagine them claiming it. Or simply that the officer felt threatened (no crap, putting an allegedly hindered man in the seat beside him)

Seriously, what's up with that? It apparently is the policy in that area, but seems like a recipe for, well, this.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: January 30, 2020, 05:54:18 pm »

Guy was handcuffed though, which generally means behind the back, which is handy because it reduces the chances of a less life threatening injury if one of the stray bullets which the gun shot at him were to hit an arm instead of the chest or gut, but less handy for the department because you either have to at least note that one of your officers just fucking unloaded like half or maybe a third of a magazine into a cuffed suspect sitting in their cruiser... or one of your officers isn't even qualified to be a Keystone cop because they managed to lose their sidearm to a cuffed suspect sitting in their cruiser despite said suspect being incompetent enough to successfully shoot themself repeatedly--most likely on the front and side of their body mind you--while apparently "on some drugs" as the officer did what... ducked and covered their ears before retrieving the gun?

Yeah, not a big fan of defending the right to due process of someone who--while supposedly protecting said rights for others in their job--decided to utterly eliminate the chance someone else might get a chance to prove their innocence because in spite of their training, weaponry, legal protection, and in many cases physical protection... they "wuz scawed uv da big bwack man cuffed in da cwuizah" and had to murder him.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: January 30, 2020, 06:42:28 pm »

It does say he was shot seven times (not shot at) so I agree the idea the victim got control of the gun is... well, ridiculous really.  It also says he was cuffed behind his back, which is probably why the police chief isn't even trying to defend the officer.

I'd guess the defense will still claim there was a struggle over the gun, which is why that front-seat protocol seems like a horrible idea to me.  Almost like an open invitation for such a "struggle" to happen or be claimed, justifying police brutality.

I don't know why the cop shot that man after successfully restraining him.  The police chief can't think of a proper reason and neither can I, and I doubt his lawyer will either.  I think he committed murder.

I feel like we're pretty much on the same page on the above, alright?  But I'm in favor of due process for all black people, even ones who happen to be cops.  I think the narrative you assumed up may have missed a detail in your rush to judgement.
She/they

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: January 30, 2020, 06:45:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure I recall a case years ago where a black man with his hands cuffed behind his back sitting in the back seat of a cruiser was shot in the head - TWICE - and the police still claimed that he shot himself, and the media reported that straight-faced.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: January 30, 2020, 06:48:49 pm »

The only rational stance to take in cases like these is that it's malicious and premeditated murder unless and until there's strong proof otherwise. The violence and silence cultivated by police make it a necessity.

Not that there's really any ambiguity in this particular case, but even when there is it only demonstrates there's been a coverup.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: January 30, 2020, 06:53:38 pm »

I don't know why the cop shot that man after successfully restraining him.  The police chief can't think of a proper reason and neither can I, and I doubt his lawyer will either.  I think he committed murder.

It'll get bargained down to manslaughter or something, and he'll be working as a police officer in the next town over in a year.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: January 30, 2020, 08:52:14 pm »

My general assumption in these cases is that the perp starts talking shit to the cop, and the cop, finally unable to take it, blows them away knowing their chances of getting away with it are at least 50%.

And that's what's really fucked up. Dude is in cuffs. Will almost undoubtedly do time. Is completely defenseless. And yet someone literally holding all the power still decides to end their life. That's like, the most vindictive level of abuse you can imagine. If I were a cop and arrested some dirt bag who started shouting shit at me, I'd just laugh knowing I'm going home and he's going to to the clink. That'd be, like, "justice" enough. It's so hard for me to imagine what justifies these shootings, even when they know they're committing murder, in the minds of the officers. Gangsters act like this.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:04:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: January 30, 2020, 10:52:07 pm »

There's no "was shot seven times by the weapon" it's "was shot seven times for no reason by the murderous bitchboi racist who pulled him over" dammit, fuck off with that sort of weasel word bullshit.

Can't we all just agree that mistakes were made, in the normal course of events, and put the whole unfortunate incident behind us.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 295