Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429948 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2535 on: November 28, 2018, 08:09:49 pm »

You know exactly what the cause and nature of the death is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: November 28, 2018, 08:12:16 pm »

Yep. And the same police force the dead activists were protesting is the one that deemed their deaths suicide.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: November 28, 2018, 08:13:22 pm »

Yep. And the same police force the dead activists were protesting is the one that deemed their deaths suicide.

Suicide by cop? Heh

(terrible pun, I'm sorry)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: November 29, 2018, 12:18:06 am »

There should be a way to demand federal investigation in cases like this.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: November 29, 2018, 06:39:53 am »

Aliens.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: November 29, 2018, 04:41:24 pm »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: November 29, 2018, 04:51:00 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/28/671716640/ex-florida-police-chief-sentenced-to-3-years-for-framing-black-men-and-teen

Why bother catching criminals when you can just jail black people instead?
Yep. He didn't want to lose his perfect case closing record. Also, they're trying three chicago officers for lying to protect the (now convicted) officer who shot a civilian.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: November 29, 2018, 04:52:47 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/28/671716640/ex-florida-police-chief-sentenced-to-3-years-for-framing-black-men-and-teen

I mean he got 3 whole years in prison, except for some vacation time he had to take care of first. And all he did was set people up for what, a decade or so of unjustified prison and removal of rights in doubtless a much less nice prison than he gets?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: November 30, 2018, 04:16:16 am »

So this happened: Saint Louis cops accused of assaulting an undercover cop during a protest

(I hope that is correct because I only read quotes sourced from there, I couldn't read the article itself as Saint Louis Today's website is innallowable for EU-country originates)

edit: Google to the rescue! https://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=sv&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stltoday.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fcrime-and-courts%2Fst-louis-police-officers-indicted-accused-of-beating-an-undercover%2Farticle_4a82d209-b3cd-565e-9a97-309cf1c2a5af.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:55:17 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: November 30, 2018, 04:19:53 am »

I mean he got 3 whole years in prison, except for some vacation time he had to take care of first. And all he did was set people up for what, a decade or so of unjustified prison and removal of rights in doubtless a much less nice prison than he gets?

Would it be too eye-for-an-eye to make the minimum sentence for framing somebody the sentence that said framed somebody got? Seems to make sense to me.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: November 30, 2018, 04:56:49 am »

Would it be too eye-for-an-eye to make the minimum sentence for framing somebody the sentence that said framed somebody got? Seems to make sense to me.

I'm very much in favour of this.  Falsely accuse someone of rape? Enjoy your guilty-of-rape-length-sentence.  Frame someone for murder? One guilty-of-murder-length-sentence, coming right up.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: November 30, 2018, 06:26:39 am »

Hey, at least they didnt get off with "internal review pending suspension"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: November 30, 2018, 01:20:58 pm »

Yeah, that's what I was trying to imply, in addition to the "cops get punished equally to other people, ha!".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: October 01, 2019, 06:12:52 pm »

The Texas cop who murdered a guy in his own apartment and tried to claim self-defense has been convicted of murder.

I'm sure there's plenty of other places in the process where they could escape relatively unharmed. Appeals, time served, good behavior etc....

This whole case is fishy though. I can't believe the investigation didn't turn up a motive for the killing. Unless this chick was whacked out on meth or something, who the fuck enters the wrong apartment, shoots a guy, and when the prosecution offers you a lesser charge of manslaughter you go "Naw I'll take my chances at trial." Worked out well for her, dinnit?

I mean there had to be something else going on. It looked like a premeditated murder that she tried to play off as a case of mistaken residence. Rather than accepting her mistake and the penalty for it, she gambled that it'd get called self-defense? Bulllllllllshit. It looks much more likely she actually wanted to kill him for something and was fabricating a reason so she could escape jail time.

I hope they throw the book at her, but with her being white, female, a former police officer and in Texas, I would not at all be surprised if she gets the minimum sentence. (Which is 5 years.)

Still, some amount of faith in humanity was restored by this. The judge went out of their way to provide her with the chance at a minimum charge, telling the jury they could consider both manslaughter and the "Castle" defense. They went for neither and straight up said it was murder. Good on them. I hope she rots in jail for a good long time, because I'm sick to death of people dying for no reason and cops just getting to use their job as an excuse for being fucking terrible at their job.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:25:02 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: October 01, 2019, 06:29:59 pm »

It's fucking awesome, and apparently in Texas there's automatically no parole for murder convictions. They'll find some way to ruin it I'm sure, but that will only serve to spread ACAB ever further.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 295