Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429461 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2070 on: June 25, 2017, 01:45:54 am »

A gun is not a protective device, for preventing yourself or others from getting shot. A gun is a tool for killing another human being. There really aren't many things that can guarantee your own safety while someone who doesn't like you is holding a gun, including preemptive murder.
Trying to use a gun like a shield is a good way to hurt someone innocent.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: June 25, 2017, 02:41:57 pm »

A gun is not a protective device, for preventing yourself or others from getting shot. A gun is a tool for killing another human being. There really aren't many things that can guarantee your own safety while someone who doesn't like you is holding a gun, including preemptive murder.
Trying to use a gun like a shield is a good way to hurt someone innocent.
yes. guns are generally rather small and built horizontally, so it's incredibly hard to block bullets with one.

except in CSGO.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: June 25, 2017, 04:57:25 pm »

If the gun successfully blocks the bullet, you're probably about to get hit by bits of your own gun flying fast enough to kill you. :P

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: June 25, 2017, 08:44:48 pm »

I'll just skip to the only appropriate conclusion. Roads should all be widened sufficiently to allow comfortable travel of armored vehicles.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: June 25, 2017, 09:10:51 pm »

Now I'm wondering how much more quickly we will/would have used the oil supply if everybody was traveling in armored vehicles instead of normal cars.

Also, you can totally just buy a bulletproofed car. Apparently people do this as a semi-regular thing once they have the money for it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:17:46 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: June 25, 2017, 09:18:12 pm »

I'll just skip to the only appropriate conclusion. Roads should all be widened sufficiently to allow comfortable travel of armored vehicles.

You just want everybody to ride tanks don't you? lol.

Still, armored vehicles won't solve the problem being discussed here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: June 25, 2017, 09:32:52 pm »

All police need to wear frikkin power armor so they're not afraid of getting shot.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: June 25, 2017, 10:40:33 pm »

Nah, man. Unarmed drones with net* launchers. Can't get hurt, can't hurt people, can subdue suspects. Only issue is if they DO have a gun, unless you put in a tazer or knock-out gas kind of thing, they can either shoot whoever comes to pick them up or shoot themselves or any bystanders that they got netted by or with.

*We're assuming this is a net made of that un-cuttable stuff.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: June 25, 2017, 11:45:06 pm »

... nooo, those totally can hurt people. Netting someone to the ground is a good way to break something, particularly on hard terrain. Uncuttable net is how people strangle themselves and whatnot. Not sure if it's more dangerous than a taser, and it's almost certainly not more dangerous than a gun, but there's definitely risks involved with their use.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: June 25, 2017, 11:54:11 pm »

So long as we're discussing impossible solutions, why not just take away everyone's guns?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: June 26, 2017, 01:01:28 am »

So long as we're discussing impossible solutions, why not just take away everyone's guns?
Even the armies' guns?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: June 26, 2017, 01:47:01 am »

I think it would be easier to amputate everyone's trigger fingers. You can't hide a stash of those in the woods.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 26, 2017, 01:48:25 am »

... nooo, those totally can hurt people. Netting someone to the ground is a good way to break something, particularly on hard terrain. Uncuttable net is how people strangle themselves and whatnot. Not sure if it's more dangerous than a taser, and it's almost certainly not more dangerous than a gun, but there's definitely risks involved with their use.
What, you took issue with the nets, and not with giving every police department drones which they'll inevitably arm? :V Like that part goes without saying, they *would* arm them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: June 26, 2017, 04:04:54 am »

Even the armies' guns?
Yes, feed them all to the ravenous gun-eating mechanical god beyond our world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 26, 2017, 07:41:04 am »

What, you took issue with the nets, and not with giving every police department drones which they'll inevitably arm? :V Like that part goes without saying, they *would* arm them.
Well sure. I doubt stopping the drone swarm is even possible -- and may even not be desired in another 30 or 40 years, depending on how target recognition and response software develops -- but keeping some kind of control over what's on the things is more viable.

We've mostly kept cops from arming helicopters, after all, so far as I can recall. More or less stopped them from actually sticking/keeping (much) mounted heavy weaponry on military surplus vehicles. Same principle.

If we can keep the drones as hard locked as possible to least lethal, instead of less, it'd be a better results than anything else that involves armed drones, which'll be hell and a half to outright squelch.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 295