Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429445 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2055 on: June 22, 2017, 04:14:37 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7sgZZQ7pw

How the hell is he not guilty as fuck?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: June 22, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »

I've seen that a couple of times now, and it makes me angry every time I see it. He wasn't even convicted in court. He was basically just fired from his job. Normally, I feel like I don't have enough information to make some sort of judgement, but this asshole should be hanged publicly.

EDIT: Also this shit was a year ago? WTF.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:49:34 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: June 22, 2017, 04:50:01 pm »

Grand jury is a terrible idea, there's a reason the British ditched it. the concept is literally century's old and its outdated now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: June 22, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »

Really rather not bring lynchings back into public norms, tbh. That said... shit keeps up during the age of ubiquitous cameras, and people are going to start thinking they have no recourse with the state. More than they already do.

... and when enough folks stop seeing the monopoly on force as legitimate, that's gon' be when things start getting nasty (again).

At least for the time being, hopefully the civil suits are en route and about to tear the guy and his (former) precinct a new asshole. Bar for wrongful death's a fair bit lower than it is for murder or manslaughter. It ain't much, 'specially to the family or the community involved, but it's something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: June 22, 2017, 11:54:07 pm »

I was shocked.  The Philando case seemed incredibly clear cut to me.  Even without conviction over the death of their father/husband, its infuriating to me that there are no repercussions for treating the wife & child that way after the incident.  Like "Yeah I just killed your family member in front of you, in what was a completely random act of violence from your perspective.  That makes you a criminal now.  I'm going to point the gun at you next and scream at you, until backup rips you out of the car for me."

The fucking inhuman level of callousness officers show after they shoot someone who did nothing to deserve it is the worst part of this every time.  Makes it really fucking hard not to see them as scum, when they can watch a guy bleed out and go limp in front of then, and they continue being jackasses instead of even a rudimentary effort to slow bleeding or something.

They should not be able to get away with behaving this way.  And if the officers ever showed the slightest hint of concern in the immediate aftermath of these incidents, it would go a long way.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: June 23, 2017, 12:57:17 am »

The law (and letter of the law is the thing that matters for the trial, not whatever standards morality would dictate or the BLM demand of the week) is very happy to go with the cop, based on "I was in fear of my life because I smelled pot and the guy reached for his wallet"

I mean, there's an awfully good look at the way cop shops operate, with the pretext for the felony stop being that the driver had a wide nose like a semi-recent burglar description.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: June 24, 2017, 05:51:36 pm »

lots of people should be hanged publicly.

tbf the correct thing to do according to the police is to say "i'm going to get out of the car so you can take my gun away, and then I will give you my ID occifer"

also tbf, as a white dude, i'm not ever giving my gun to a cop.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: June 24, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »

/drunk
My experience is, on three occasions, planting my hands on the wheel in plain view and waiting for instructions.
My family I just visited was all "NO NO state everything as a question", because they're libertarians.  And maybe they're right.

I'm just saying I wouldn't reach for my fucking pocket-wallet without prompt.  I haven't looked into the most recent incident fully, but I've been consistently disappointed from a family bias of "govt iz ebil". I've been pulled over 3 times and I didn't reach for shit until directed.  It's not that fucking hard.

Pretend for a fucking second that you're the policeperson, and that there's a 1/100 chance the person you pulled over is a desperate felon.  And they suddenly reach for a pocket.

It's not that hard.  Just act slowly, and obviously.
They have lives too, and I think 90% of the cases I've seen *posted here* would have been fine if the suspects were like me.  Scared (yeah, it's scary!), and acted slowly and deliberately.  Just be careful and slow.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: June 24, 2017, 07:07:31 pm »

Pretend for a fucking second that you're the policeperson, and that there's a 1/100 chance the person you pulled over is a desperate felon.  And they suddenly reach for a pocket.

Then 99 times out of 100 an Innocent civilian dies.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 24, 2017, 07:11:00 pm »

Hilarious
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: June 24, 2017, 07:14:16 pm »

you guys hear about the off-duty st. louis cop who got shot while cops were searching for three men who opened fire during a pursuit?

that's hilarious.

it isn't actually. everyone is really really lucky he didn't die from that.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: June 24, 2017, 07:33:43 pm »

Heard about it, yeah. Seem to recall there being some oddities in reporting regarding exactly when the fellow got shot.

... also yeah, it's really easy to imagine that mindset above. Also something that probably needs to be dealt with before you're given a gun when you're going into a job that's going to involve a lot of people in questionable states of cognizance that don't exactly deserve to be shot. It's paranoid as all hell (the same mindset is applicable to absolutely everyone, regardless as to your job, it's just we kinda' institutionalize non-cops that exhibit it too strongly), but easy to see where it comes from... as well as why it largely shouldn't really be an accepted justification for killing someone. Is, though, both for cops and others, stateside.
Ask not!
Ask!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: June 24, 2017, 08:15:04 pm »

/drunk
My experience is, on three occasions, planting my hands on the wheel in plain view and waiting for instructions.
My family I just visited was all "NO NO state everything as a question", because they're libertarians.  And maybe they're right.

I'm just saying I wouldn't reach for my fucking pocket-wallet without prompt.  I haven't looked into the most recent incident fully, but I've been consistently disappointed from a family bias of "govt iz ebil". I've been pulled over 3 times and I didn't reach for shit until directed.  It's not that fucking hard.

It's not that hard.  Just act slowly, and obviously.
They have lives too, and I think 90% of the cases I've seen *posted here* would have been fine if the suspects were like me.  Scared (yeah, it's scary!), and acted slowly and deliberately.  Just be careful and slow.

Well, if you're talking about Castillo, the guy was killed after the cop told him to get his wallet, then shot for it.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: June 24, 2017, 08:26:05 pm »

You know what, I'm still drunk.

Yess.  Clearly the officers shot a black because he was black.
What is "controlling the situation"?  It's just racist cop BS.

It's not like they reacted to an aggressive action, and something horrible happened it's "No Justice", as per thread, right?

Right?
You fuckers would have handled this situation so much better, after a thousand similar incidents.  You would have done it right.
She/they

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: June 24, 2017, 09:15:33 pm »

Like to think so, yes. You can see what transcript is public regarding the incident exactly when it happened, far as I'm aware
Spoiler: Right here (click to show/hide)
Or at least that's what copy and paste picked up from the first source I could find again.

They didn't react to aggressive action, the guy shot a dude trying to comply with orders even as his fellow cop (and everyone else there) said the driver wasn't pulling a gun, breaking with any number of standard practices when dealing with a traffic stop and declared CW in the process. Like, yeah, I'd really like to think I'd be able to avoid doing that, or at least turn in my badge long before I reached the point of it becoming even remotely likely.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 295