Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428604 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2010 on: October 12, 2016, 06:41:23 am »

Meanwhile, sales of decades old ICP records are up.

That was my first thought about these clowns: are these juggalos?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: October 13, 2016, 08:18:13 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/13/fbi-police-use-of-force-data-obama-administration

While collecting data is a start, isn't 'letting the police, police themselves' without oversight part of how we got into this situation in the first place?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: October 13, 2016, 08:36:08 pm »

Well, the article has this:

The second phase of the trial program will include on-site visits to some of the involved agencies to “ascertain the level and source of underreporting of within-scope incidents”.

On Thursday, Lynch said that the department would attempt to navigate around the lack of a statutory framework by partnering more closely with a range of law enforcement bodies around the country and hinted the department could fine states who do not comply.

...so there's a chance they'll actually be doing a bit more this time around than just asking politely for stats and then kicking back and taking a nap. Hooray for low expectations!

Meanwhile, sales of decades old ICP records are up.

That was my first thought about these clowns: are these juggalos?
Nah; juggalos actually have a fairly distinct look: black and white makeup, no fake red noses or wigs, "street"-style clothing. And a can of Faygo in one hand. Always.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: November 06, 2016, 02:07:27 pm »

So it was a while back now.  Had the story hanging out in my open tabs this whole time, but I've been too busy to read it.

But there was a case late summer/early fall of a former marine being fired from a local police force for "failing to eliminate a threat".  He was called onto the scene of a suicidal black man with a gun.  Determined that the guy was not acting threateningly towards anyone with the gun, and was only a threat to himself.  The guy was literally asking to be shot, and his response was "I'm not going to shoot you, brother."  But then two more officers showed up to the scene and shot him.  The gun he was carrying was not loaded.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: November 06, 2016, 06:33:35 pm »

Sigh. Loss of life is the thing we're supposed to avoid, guys.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: November 07, 2016, 04:08:53 pm »

That is just how we do things in Murrica. 

Shoot first, blame them later. 

Obviously this former marine is not Murrican Police material.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: November 12, 2016, 01:34:23 am »

This is truly terrifying.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: November 16, 2016, 07:58:39 pm »

This probably goes here:

The officer who killed Philando Castile, the black lunch man who was shot in St Paul during a traffic stop on July 6th is now facing second degree manslaughter charges. This was a pretty notable case (not just cuz I live nearby) because his girlfriend started streaming to facebook right after he was shot. Calmly confronting the officer over what he had just done.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:09:45 pm by Criptfeind »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: November 16, 2016, 08:06:57 pm »

Hey, actually facing charges. That's more than most.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: November 16, 2016, 08:57:02 pm »

He will be released. Mainly due to ineffectual compassionate people. Why does this thread exist? It seems like the type of place that would attract sadists and masochists.

As an aside, has anybody seen ads featuring post-WW2 purges of Nazi sympathizers while looking for police news?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 16, 2016, 09:19:30 pm »

Why does this thread exist? It seems like the type of place that would attract sadists and masochists.

I'm going to ignore the sadist comment, and focus on the rest. Why not? This sorta shit is important news for people to be aware of.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 16, 2016, 09:44:09 pm »

Why does this thread exist? It seems like the type of place that would attract sadists and masochists.

I'm going to ignore the sadist comment, and focus on the rest. Why not? This sorta shit is important news for people to be aware of.
If, after repeated protest and discussion, nothing changes for the better, why continue to discuss?

I am feeling despair.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: November 16, 2016, 09:57:53 pm »

... change can take a long time. Lifetimes, sometimes. Lot of ways things are actually better these days, for all that may say more about the past than present. That didn't happen by folks stopping the discussion. Lifetime of trying for change may be doing nothing but building up the foundation for three or four further out. Sucks if you feel the need to see something done now, but that's just kinda' the way it goes.

Some stuff y'do not because it gets results but because not doing it is worse.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: December 24, 2016, 11:59:19 pm »

If, after repeated protest and discussion, nothing changes for the better, why continue to discuss?

I am feeling despair.
So that it is not forgotten, such that one day it may change

Plus, there is change. You don't hear about it, obviously; the routine happening more routinely than usual is not news, and people don't typically keep in mind the temporal distance between the awful things they hear about on the news. You do not see objective reality, you see what's reported, which makes it very easy for people to miscalculate actual event rates. For instance, violent crime continues to drop,and safety features become continuously more advanced and more ubiquitous, yet how many children are allowed to play outside without supervision compared to precious decades? How many more deaths and tragedies can you hear about in the news of a country of 300 million while your brain is wired for 150?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: January 04, 2017, 11:33:55 pm »

4 Black Men Torture Mentally Challenged White Man

Four black men use the N word while beating and humiliating a tied-up mentally handicapped white man. The heated debate right now seems to be on whether it's a hate crime, or is it okay for them to say it because they're black.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 295