Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428283 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1800 on: July 08, 2016, 06:46:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is gonna be good
Americans getting politically active everywhere

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 08, 2016, 07:11:26 pm »

RIP CNN

1969-1216

"I mean, I didn't even really notice it was gone."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 08, 2016, 07:12:06 pm »

RIP CNN

1969-1216

"I mean, I didn't even really notice it was gone."
Literally gone before it's time.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 08, 2016, 07:29:58 pm »

They've come a long way since their hard hitting coverage of the fall of Constantinople to The Turk, or the  dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: July 08, 2016, 08:18:05 pm »

This is scaring me.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 08, 2016, 08:34:15 pm »

To clarify, there appear to be protests going on in Atlanta.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 08, 2016, 08:35:16 pm »

Oh.  Okay.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 09, 2016, 12:22:22 am »

Please do not quote....

I honestly don't even know what can be said about the whole situation, especially in Dallas or generally. It's simply immeasurably sad, and I don't even pretend to begin to know how to fix it in a way people would like. Everybody's screwed on all sides really. The Police Officers have no field training, are sometimes not paid a living wage, sometimes not "full time," thrown into absolutely terrible situations, and not taught how to deal with the insane stress. The Defendants, are given an overworked, exhausted arresting officer and the same situation for the public defender forced to do 10 times the number of cases they should (who may not even be paid at all sometimes...). It's just a god-awful situation. Basically, nobody wants to pay for justice, so we have problems....

It's also just such a scary topic to talk about, because there are complicated underlying issues, complicated implementation issues, and real problems on all sides.

No clue....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1808 on: July 09, 2016, 01:07:01 am »

Trimmed some revelry and death-wishing.  Please keep things under control.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 09, 2016, 12:34:53 pm »

This is relevant again, I think.

Except I don't recall any of the police abuse cases that have generated public outrage being similar to any of the scenarios shown in that training.  And we have statistics on police casualties in the line of duty.  It's not even in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the U.S., hasn't been for a long time, and the general trend has been a decrease in danger for police over time. (here, I lazily spent 10 seconds on Google to grab a source)  This year is looking to be an outlier, but one they brought on themselves. 

If anything, this video is a demonstration of one of the #1 criticisms of modern police - that their internal culture is steeped in paranoia.  They are trained to operate as if the entire United Stated is a warzone, and interact with the public in a state of constant threat assessment and split-second reaction to anything that could be interpreted as a potential sign of threat.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 09, 2016, 02:40:53 pm »

Except I don't recall any of the police abuse cases that have generated public outrage being similar to any of the scenarios shown in that training.  And we have statistics on police casualties in the line of duty.  It's not even in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the U.S., hasn't been for a long time, and the general trend has been a decrease in danger for police over time. (here, I lazily spent 10 seconds on Google to grab a source)  This year is looking to be an outlier, but one they brought on themselves. 

If anything, this video is a demonstration of one of the #1 criticisms of modern police - that their internal culture is steeped in paranoia.  They are trained to operate as if the entire United Stated is a warzone, and interact with the public in a state of constant threat assessment and split-second reaction to anything that could be interpreted as a potential sign of threat.

An officer (or one who acknowledges paragraph 2 as written as true, anyway) will probably tell you that the two are related, and they might not even be wrong. But even if it is true, policing is sort of a special case with regard to occupational hazard. They most likely had the opportunity to incapacitate this guy rather than kill him (at least in hindsight,) but in general they really do need to be ready for the possibility that someone will try to kill or injure them to avoid being arrested. They spend a lot of time interacting with the most dangerous people in their given area and it does happen. Unlike any other job though, they can't just do whatever to keep their jobs as safe as possible because they also need to minimize the use of force and carefully follow inconvenient procedures to avoid violating people's rights. It really isn't an enviable position to be in.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: July 09, 2016, 03:16:28 pm »

This is relevant again, I think.

That's what I was getting at. Police training teaches a lot of the paranoid behavior, especially in regard to people escalating routine interactions drastically and unexpectedly.

It's not without justification that they do so, either, given the nature of gun control in the U.S. You don't see news coverage of cops who get gunned down by some paranoid asshole during a routine traffic stop. There's that possibility that someone is going to pull a gun and shoot a cop, and that's drummed into them thorough--again, somewhat justifiably. It's not as if any other job intentionally avoids training new employees about serious hazards to their health.

Hence the problem. People in the U.S. have the capability to seriously injure or kill LEOs with little or no warning. LEOs, therefore, are trained to react to situations with overwhelming force-not to match, but to escalate to the point where potential threats aren't. This, inevitably, leads to shootings which are (with the benefit of hindsight and deep analysis) unnecessary. That in turn helps foster a culture of distrust and hatred of police, which causes people raised in the same to act with unwarranted hostility in interactions with LEOs, taking us full circle: cops encounter people who are aggressive and unwilling to comply, their training and experience recognizes that as a threat, and they respond by escalating with the use of force.

It's not fair to blame individual cops for acting on a split-second decision when it's been pounded into them that hesitating can get them or others killed. Blame the gun culture which helps create situations which lead to that outlook on the part of PDs. Blame laws which set a very low bar for the legal use of lethal force by police. Blame people who raise their children to be hostile towards police in routine interactions. Don't blame people who unintentionally trigger those warnings for LEOs.

That's the saddest fucking part, so many shootings of and by LEOs only happened because both sides of the line have been taught to fear the other. If you honestly believe that most police want to shoot people, you're fucked in the head. If you honestly believe that most people want to shoot police, you're fucked in the head. In both cases, 99% of the time, it's someone who's scared that the other party is going to kill them for no reason. :|

Also, check your numbers. The FBI's statistics on LEOs feloniously killed while on duty averages out at ~64 per year, with 51 in the year the report was published (2014). Another report from February notes a higher rate of LEO felonious deaths than in the same span last year.

It's not anything like it was in the '20s or '30s, but a good number of cops are still shot or intentionally run over every year, enough for them to keep justifying their paranoia. That's the nature of police work in a country where just about anyone can be armed and a large portion of the population is actively hostile towards cops for one reason or another. It doesn't make it right, but it explains why it happens.

You sorta seem to be putting the chicken before the egg here. The police paranoia exists because this was and is a genuinely dangerous country to be a cop in. You can't talk on one hand about our gun-related murder rate being markedly higher than any other first-world country (and plenty of others beside) and then pretend that that isn't going to affect police culture.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 09, 2016, 03:41:08 pm »

An officer (or one who acknowledges paragraph 2 as written as true, anyway) will probably tell you that the two are related, and they might not even be wrong. But even if it is true, policing is sort of a special case with regard to occupational hazard. They most likely had the opportunity to incapacitate this guy rather than kill him (at least in hindsight,) but in general they really do need to be ready for the possibility that someone will try to kill or injure them to avoid being arrested. They spend a lot of time interacting with the most dangerous people in their given area and it does happen. Unlike any other job though, they can't just do whatever to keep their jobs as safe as possible because they also need to minimize the use of force and carefully follow inconvenient procedures to avoid violating people's rights. It really isn't an enviable position to be in.

I don't disagree with anything here.  But when you take the subject in this direction, the object of discussion becomes whether or not police are really beneficial when allowed to operate on this standard? 

I fear police more than I do a criminal. 

A criminal threat to my person is generally either someone I've pissed off, someone who wants something, or someone who is simply behaving irrationally.  I have the potential to respond to all 3.  I may fail and be hurt, but the potential is there for me to take care of myself.  And I can generally make efforts to avoid including problematic people or places in my life who would bring this kind of trouble, which goes a very long way.

In an interaction with an officer, I need to worry about whether that officer is corrupt, because there are plenty of police who are criminals too.  Who steal from people and enjoy being violent.  I'm not being accusational against the law enforcement establishment in general, or making any claim about how prevalent this problem is.  Simply stating a fact.  But more importantly, I need to be intensely aware of my body language, tone of voice, whether any movement I make may be seen as too sudden or unusual, if my hands are visible, or if it's ok for my hands not to be visible for some practical reason.  There are any number of accidental and completely innocent ways I can make an officer question my intentions enough to decide in a split second that they are risking their own safety if I'm not eliminated immediately.  And if something goes wrong in an interaction with an officer, I have no opportunity to defend myself.  Zero recourse.  And there is no avoiding that you are going to interact with police once in a while.

There are huge ongoing national debates over terrorism and mass shootings in the U.S., but police have consistently killed more people under questionable circumstances than both of those problems.

It's not fair to blame individual cops for acting on a split-second decision when it's been pounded into them that hesitating can get them or others killed. Blame the gun culture which helps create situations which lead to that outlook on the part of PDs. Blame laws which set a very low bar for the legal use of lethal force by police. Blame people who raise their children to be hostile towards police in routine interactions. Don't blame people who unintentionally trigger those warnings for LEOs.

I totally agree.  People shouldn't be hostile towards police.  They should be compliant, even when faced with unreasonable or illegal requests.  I also believe people should avoid police involvement and interaction as much as possible.  I loathe gun culture, and really wish guns didn't even exist. 

But above all for the purposes of this thread, I think police should be legally held to higher standards of behavior.  They should be held more accountable.  Because after watching so goddamn much video footage of police killing people, it can be plainly seen in the way they behave that they take it for granted that they can deal with any situation by lethal force.  If they didn't, so much behavior would be different.  For example, if there was a guy with a knife and no bystanders in nearby danger, they wouldn't immediately pull up into lunging range, willfully creating the pretense of a self-defense situation.  They would negotiate agitated people from a distance before approaching, instead of immediately jumping to man-handling and then excusing the outcome later with "he could have taken my gun".  They wouldn't take the first steps in introducing violence into situations that previously showed no signs of being violent.

Also, check your numbers. The FBI's statistics on LEOs feloniously killed while on duty averages out at ~64 per year, with 51 in the year the report was published (2014). Another report from February notes a higher rate of LEO felonious deaths than in the same span last year.

It's not anything like it was in the '20s or '30s, but a good number of cops are still shot or intentionally run over every year, enough for them to keep justifying their paranoia. That's the nature of police work in a country where just about anyone can be armed and a large portion of the population is actively hostile towards cops for one reason or another. It doesn't make it right, but it explains why it happens.

You sorta seem to be putting the chicken before the egg here. The police paranoia exists because this was and is a genuinely dangerous country to be a cop in. You can't talk on one hand about our gun-related murder rate being markedly higher than any other first-world country (and plenty of others beside) and then pretend that that isn't going to affect police culture.

Don't agree as much here.  The numbers you just stated are roughly on par with the link I shared.  And it's a ridiculously low number in relation to the total numbers of law enforcement on duty, and compared to all the rhetoric about how dangerous policing is.  Like I said, there are official statistics put out every year on occupational casualties, and law enforcement is never in the top 10.  You cited 51 felonious deaths in 2014.  The total number of police deaths in 2014 was 97 - near double that.  And it was STILL only #15 on the list.  Taxi drivers were 38% more likely to be killed on the job than police, and in 2013 were twice as likely to be murdered.  Do you think our culture would accept if taxi drivers began killing their passengers when they reach into a bag or pocket too quickly?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:46:34 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 11, 2016, 04:46:04 am »

Alton Sterling: One of the reports said that he had a gun because of robberies in the area. Is this a true statement, and have the robbers been caught? Also, who was the anonymous caller?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 295