Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428241 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1740 on: July 07, 2016, 05:34:33 pm »

Courts have ruled that it's ok to bar people with high IQs from becoming police officers.  Yes, this is something that people have been rejected for, contested in court, and lost.

Not calling you out here, but what the what?

Do you have a link to a story, or something I can search for to find out more about this? It sounds absurd.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 07, 2016, 05:35:51 pm »

Yeah... I think the Philando Castile shooting, at least, is going to get pretty intense.  The community is very emotional, and for good reason.  There's huge outpourings of positive things said about the guy right now.  They're talking about him like he was a total saint, with some pretty powerful anecdotes.  And the video... doesn't seem to me like it can be argued the guy could have possible done anything more properly to avoid getting shot.  The girlfriend and daughter's reactions in the minutes following are exemplary.  And it ends with the 4 year old girl comforting her mom in possibly the most angelic child moment I've ever seen caught on camera.  And the police are fucking cooooold on camera.  No emotional reaction.  No sympathy.  No urgency to respond medically as the guy sits there dying.  Nothing.  Casual surfing on it for 15 minutes has me emotional, and I'm jaded as fuck.

And the governor of Minnesota has publically stated he doesn't think this would have happened if Philando was white.

If that officer doesn't face some harsh repercussions fast, this one will definitely explode.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: July 07, 2016, 05:37:00 pm »

Holy fucking hell, do cops even do a psych exam these days? Or is it a mere formality where they jot down a passing grade if you're capable of putting on your trousers yourself.

Courts have ruled that it's ok to bar people with high IQs from becoming police officers.  Yes, this is something that people have been rejected for, contested in court, and lost.
Are they also allowed to bar people with low IQs?

Yeah but they don't really need to. They don't necessarily have a minimum IQ test score, but whatever people may have to say about it's curriculum, police officers do have to pass through training and aptitude tests (though the classic image of a police academy isn't the norm anymore IIRC) and if you can't pass training, or you do manage to pass but still end up looking like a dumbass to the recruiter they won't hire you.

Do you have a link to a story, or something I can search for to find out more about this? It sounds absurd.

Not SG, but...

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/nyregion/metro-news-briefs-connecticut-judge-rules-that-police-can-bar-high-iq-scores.html

Their reasoning, I believe, was that he was overqualified and likely wouldn't stay on the job. On paper, at least, they didn't hire him because they didn't want to risk going through the expense of training someone who won't stick around.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:40:08 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 07, 2016, 05:40:04 pm »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

Yeah, it's a particularly fun bit of absurdity that occurred awhile ago.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1744 on: July 07, 2016, 05:41:57 pm »

tfw a hobo can get you murdered by police

Source on hobo?

CNN

But like I said... I haven't read deeply into anything.

Woops - sorry for double post

Holy shit, Hobo outsmarted police

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: July 07, 2016, 05:43:59 pm »

Google "police high IQ".  It's so absurd, and there was no lack of reporting on it.  I'm surprised it's not common knowledge.  I honestly didn't think it would be news to anybody.

Perspective article by Wired - examining what it means as a social precedent for streaming the event live on Facebook to be this person's first reaction in a situation with no recourse.

Holy shit, Hobo outsmarted police

Nothing new.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 07, 2016, 05:58:56 pm »

Alton Sterling is the name appearing in the news coverage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 07, 2016, 06:01:26 pm »

Their reasoning, I believe, was that he was overqualified and likely wouldn't stay on the job. On paper, at least, they didn't hire him because they didn't want to risk going through the expense of training someone who won't stick around.
So it was money?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: July 07, 2016, 08:34:02 pm »

The argument was that no smart person would stick with the job, so they'd be wasting the investment on training, more-or-less.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: July 07, 2016, 08:42:27 pm »

Which is pretty common in the job market, tragically.  Makes financial sense, though, and law enforcement has to be budget-conscious these days.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 07, 2016, 09:53:00 pm »

Umm... I expected another round of unrest similar to the last couple sessions of riots over police abuses we've had... but it's looking now like this may get even more serious than that.

Seeing reports surfacing in just the last hour that someone has initiated a shoot-out with police at what was an anti-police brutality protest in Dallas.  There's not much information yet, but it looks like multiple officers down.  Whoever it is is putting up a serious prolonged fight.  I think they've secured themselves high ground on a parking garage, and are firing down on cops below.

Something like this has the potential to turn this into a completely unpredictable nation-wide episode of heightened aggression towards police, and likely more paranoia and aggression from police towards everyone else in return.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:55:18 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 07, 2016, 10:00:27 pm »

Vicious fucking cycle, exacerbated by isolationism.
I really hope it doesn't explode, because a lot more good people will die on both sides...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 07, 2016, 10:01:41 pm »

It appears to have calmed down now, there are only two confirmed wounded as of this post.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 07, 2016, 10:05:51 pm »

Well at least this isn't an instance where the police intentionally antagonized a protest in order to make them violent (or "violent") in order to justify their arrest and thusly shutting the protest down.

Well... to my knowledge...
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 295