Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428220 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1725 on: July 07, 2016, 04:31:43 pm »

I would assume they're getting more attention because they happened in the past week and her shooting happened four years ago.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: July 07, 2016, 04:33:04 pm »

I would assume they're getting more attention because they happened in the past week and her shooting happened four years ago.
Her shooting was very overshadowed when it happened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: July 07, 2016, 04:33:54 pm »

Ferguson happened between then and now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1728 on: July 07, 2016, 04:37:29 pm »

Mr Castile had been stopped in Falcon Heights, a suburb of St Paul, because the car had a broken rear light, the woman, identified in local media reports as Diamond Reynolds (or sometimes as Lavish Reynolds) said.

Before he was shot, he had told the officer that he was licensed to carry a concealed gun and had one in his possession, she said.

"You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his licence and registration, sir," Ms Reynolds says in the video.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36732908
Castile apparently did everything responsibly, literally everything, informing the police in advance

Is Castile even the person the phone call was made about?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: July 07, 2016, 04:41:25 pm »

I haven't read deeply into either.  What I know at a glance:

1 - Alton Sterling

This guy was selling CDs in the parking lot outside a convenience store.  Initial report was that police responded to a anonymous call reporting him as a threat.  Looks like there's more detailed information emerging today, claiming that the call was made by a homeless man who had been harassing Alton persistently to beg for money.  Alton was carrying a gun.  I haven't seen it definitively stated, but every mention of the incident points out that it's an open carry state, with the implication that he was carrying a firearm legally.  Supposedly, he flashed his gun at the homeless man and insisted that he be left alone, at which point homeless dude calls 911 and reports a black man brandishing a gun.  As far as I can tell at this point, police showed up and there was absolutely no conflict or anything suspect apparently happening. 

But police proceeded to violently arrest Alton anyway, throwing him to the ground and restraining his limbs.  Clearest details are from the video, which show Alton on his back, with officers kneeling on him.  He's squirming, but it doesn't appear to be serious resistance beyond natural reflex to having your joints ground into concrete.  One officer is feeling in Alton's pockets and announces that he has a gun.  Not sure if it's one or both officers, but the one closest to the camera at least immediately pulls his gun and unloads point blank into Alton's chest.

2 - Philando Castile

Officer pulls over Philando's vehicle due to a broken tail light, and approaches the window.  Philando informs the officer that he legally has a licensed firearm stored in the vehicle, and that he is going to reach for his ID.  As soon as Philando begins to reach into his pocket, the officer fires into him 4 times.  Philando's girlfriend immediately begins a livestream video to Facebook and describes in detail what just happened, and begins to narrate what's happening for several minutes, as the officer stands there with his gun pointed at the guy watching him die with zero fucks given.  I admire the hell out of that woman's composure in reacting to the situation.  This one's likely to be a lot of trouble, as I'm seeing headlines that Castile was a highly respected public school employee, regarded as a great role model to hundreds of kids.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:43:21 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1731 on: July 07, 2016, 04:43:33 pm »

tfw a hobo can get you murdered by police

Source on hobo?

Also yeah, when you've got someone already subdued, that's murder right there

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: July 07, 2016, 04:48:47 pm »

I wonder if these cases will have the same kinds of evidence and media circus as the Michael Brown shooting. I really hope they are investigated impartially.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: July 07, 2016, 04:52:32 pm »

Okay, I was being unclear. The Ferguson community's response to Michael Brown's shooting was particularly strong, resulting in protests and riots. I don't know if anyone can say exactly why this evoked more of a response than other shootings, but I have most often heard it's because Ferguson had particularly strong tensions between the police and the black community. The scale of the protests made national news, and since then police violence has been much more prominent in the public consciousness. Because of this, police shootings have recieved increased media coverage and discussion since 2014.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: July 07, 2016, 04:58:57 pm »

To be honest, I don't regard anything about these cases as especially noteworthy.  I see them reported on feeds all the fucking time.  I think I saw that police have killed over 550 people so far this year?  I've stopped paying serious attention.  Both because my life has been too overwhelming, and because it's just old.  I'm at least 3 years beyond the point where I have any hope that there's some threshold of ridiculous blatancy where everyone will agree that police are out of control. 

I'm only bothering to bring these up, because they both appear to nail the formula for major unrest:  the truly fucking random jackpot of explosively viral national attention + shock value.  To have two stories like this originating on the same day receiving this kind of response is quite something...

There's also been some major developments otherwise on the issue of police in 'Merica that I haven't bothered to pass along over the last few months... like Louisana making police officers a protected class covered by hate crime laws.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:02:39 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: July 07, 2016, 05:01:01 pm »

tfw a hobo can get you murdered by police

Source on hobo?

CNN

But like I said... I haven't read deeply into anything.

Woops - sorry for double post
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: July 07, 2016, 05:04:59 pm »

Holy fucking hell, do cops even do a psych exam these days? Or is it a mere formality where they jot down a passing grade if you're capable of putting on your trousers yourself.

I'm not so much shocked by the shootings happening (because as SG said, they're kind of expected these days, which is a rather horrible thing in and of itself) but the fucking leaps of panicked logic these morons had to have made in order to act as they did. The last thing you want in a cop is a jumpy trigger finger that makes him go full retard at the slightest inkling of danger (real or not), but it honestly seems like these idiots are the exact opposite of that quality.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: July 07, 2016, 05:07:07 pm »

Holy fucking hell, do cops even do a psych exam these days? Or is it a mere formality where they jot down a passing grade if you're capable of putting on your trousers yourself.

Courts have ruled that it's ok to bar people with high IQs from becoming police officers.  Yes, this is something that people have been rejected for, contested in court, and lost.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: July 07, 2016, 05:15:02 pm »

To be honest, I don't regard anything about these cases as especially noteworthy.  I see them reported on feeds all the fucking time.  I think I saw that police have killed over 550 people so far this year?  I've stopped paying serious attention.  Both because my life has been too overwhelming, and because it's just old.  I'm at least 3 years beyond the point where I have any hope that there's some threshold of ridiculous blatancy where everyone will agree that police are out of control. 

I'm only bothering to bring these up, because they both appear to nail the formula for major unrest:  the truly fucking random jackpot of explosively viral national attention + shock value.  To have two stories like this originating on the same day receiving this kind of response is quite something...

There's also been some major developments otherwise on the issue of police in 'Merica that I haven't bothered to pass along over the last few months... like Louisana making police officers a protected class covered by hate crime laws.
:o >:(

Courts have ruled that it's ok to bar people with high IQs from becoming police officers.  Yes, this is something that people have been rejected for, contested in court, and lost.
Are they also allowed to bar people with low IQs?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: July 07, 2016, 05:28:17 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 295