Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428095 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1620 on: February 16, 2016, 02:09:08 pm »

There's that one old guy running on 'guys rich people run everything and it sucks' so that might kinda tie into making getting shot by police less likely than getting hit by a raindrop.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: February 16, 2016, 02:39:55 pm »

The problem is that it's usually framed as a racial issue and rolled wholesale into the usual partisan battle lines. There's no particular We Won't Kill You For No Reason platform, just new variations of the Racist Murder Is Extra Wrong You Conservative Fucks and Sure Protecting Criminals Is A Fantastic Idea You Liberal Twits chants.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: February 16, 2016, 03:09:30 pm »

The rhetoric has unfortunately devolved into the type of repeatable drivel that can be excessively shared on Facebook by that one politically active old person in the family, it's true.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1623 on: February 16, 2016, 03:11:16 pm »

Are there any movements within the police themselves? There must at least be some hope surely

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: February 16, 2016, 03:29:55 pm »

There's the occasional female officer suing her department for long-term sexual harassment.
Sig! Onol

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: February 16, 2016, 03:33:23 pm »

The version I usually hear is that the system is set up to make "good" cops largely ineffective at doing anything about "bad" cops, so there's some resentment and disapproval from the lower ranks that doesn't particularly do anything and often can't be safely expressed. That's just the narrative I hear when it comes up, though, and I have no idea what the numbers are or are supposed to be. I've not heard of any organized movements or statements proper from the police on that side.

It's also worth noting that the problem seems to fluctuate quite a bit regionally. My impression is that the places where it's really bad tend to, not surprisingly, be the kinds of places that are shitholes for a lot of other reasons as well.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1626 on: February 16, 2016, 03:35:20 pm »

There's the occasional female officer suing her department for long-term sexual harassment.
Though this is not America, our TFL (transport for London) had a recent embarrassment due to loads of sexual harassment claims. They set up an anti-sexual harassment department to sort out the mess, only it surfaced now that people are complaining of sexual harassment from the anti-sexual harassment department now.

The version I usually hear is that the system is set up to make "good" cops largely ineffective at doing anything about "bad" cops, so there's some resentment and disapproval from the lower ranks that doesn't particularly do anything and often can't be safely expressed. That's just the narrative I hear when it comes up, though, and I have no idea what the numbers are or are supposed to be. I've not heard of any organized movements or statements proper from the police on that side.
It's also worth noting that the problem seems to fluctuate quite a bit regionally. My impression is that the places where it's really bad tend to, not surprisingly, be the kinds of places that are shitholes for a lot of other reasons as well.
Might be worth checking a LEO forum or something for their opinion and for the stats on it all

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: February 16, 2016, 04:19:50 pm »

A lot of it is just bad institutions too. The PDs that are very trigger-happy tends to be those lacking internal affaires departments.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: February 27, 2016, 01:39:25 pm »

Why can't he sue the cop for defamation/wrongful accusation/whatever? There's got to be a defense against this kind of shit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: February 27, 2016, 01:52:35 pm »

I assume it's because pressing those charges would be crazy expensive, and they're already in the hole for the defense.  That's generally how more powerful institutions get away with preying on vulnerable individuals in the U.S. 

I know people who have been blatantly screwed over by schools, employers, etc, and taken their cases to a lawyer... only to be told by the lawyer "Yeah, you've got a very strong case here that you would definitely win....... but this organization would easily draw out the court process to cost you shitloads of money and years of your life.  It's probably best for you to just move on."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: February 27, 2016, 02:44:08 pm »

In a world where you have to pay so much for legal representation*, equality before the law is kind of a fucking joke, yeah.

*And I don't just mean the lawyer's fees - court costs, time, and so on are all part of it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: February 28, 2016, 02:19:57 pm »

Reading just few pages of this thread, about the police abuse...
made me feel very bad about U.S.

I now kinda understand when certain people hate police.
Good thing I do not live in the U.S.
Good old middle-Europe...

EDIT: I say this even thought I know it´s maybe the same, if not worse here... *weeps in the corner*

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: March 28, 2016, 08:09:13 pm »

Even mail carriers are not safe....

Sounds like the officers should be given a summons for disorderly conduct, not the mailman.....
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 295