Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428026 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1545 on: November 11, 2015, 11:19:38 am »

It's pretty interesting the spin control the sheriff gives to some media organizations. It's a tragic shootout with no mention that the cops were the ones who called the rancher with implications that the rancher was there to shoot the deputies in an attempt to save a bull hit by a car.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:42 pm »

WTF....

"Hey can you shoot this bull for us?'
"Sure, no problem."
*BANG*
"He's got a gun! And he shot a bull! GET HIM"

All I can think of is that the deputies on the scene had no idea that their own sheriff's department had called this guy to take care of the bull, which was his property to begin with.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: November 11, 2015, 01:21:37 pm »

Seems like the complete story on this slaying has yet to be told.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: November 11, 2015, 03:04:30 pm »

Think its more like:

Sheriff Department to Farmer: "Can you do something about this bull?"

Farmer arrives on scene: "Looks like he won't make it."  Grabs shotgun from truck.
Deputies on scene: "Whoa, hey, wtf?!  He has a shotgun!"
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: November 11, 2015, 03:23:32 pm »

Sounds like a classica loyalty cascade.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: November 11, 2015, 03:26:47 pm »

Think its more like:

Farmer arrives on scene: "Looks like he won't make it."  Grabs shotgun from truck.
Yeah, because rural Idaho....NOBODY has a gun around there. Except the people, the wildlife, the vegetation, and perhaps some rocks.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1551 on: November 11, 2015, 09:30:15 pm »

Think its more like:
Maybe one of the cops has some sort of trigger instinct where they hear gunshots and must shoot

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: November 23, 2015, 12:18:19 am »

Shit like this is why people like me don't only disapprove of police for their abuses of authority, but also question the very nature of their purpose.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: November 23, 2015, 10:54:47 am »

In January 2010, he mysteriously reappeared. What Lisa and the other campaigners did not know at that time was that Kennedy was quitting the police to avoid being assigned to a humdrum desk job. But he had not discarded his fictional persona of “Mark Stone”, and continued to be involved in political campaigns. He has admitted that he was employed by a clandestine private security firm that was paid by commercial firms to monitor protesters.
This one seems to be glossed over in the article...  But, at least he lost his fake paperwork after leaving the police.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: November 23, 2015, 11:12:25 am »

There's gotta be some serious consent issues with doing shit like that. Of course, it is the UK where rights aren't as much of a thing, so who knows

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: November 25, 2015, 01:28:13 am »

Here, have another dead black kid.

He was actually killed about a year ago, but the Chicago PD today released the dashcam video. He was shot 16 times, including two in the back which, looking at the video, came a good ten seconds after the was down and no longer posed any threat.

Yes, he had traces of PCP in his system. Yes, he was carrying a knife (though when it was recovered, the blade was still folded into the handle). However, in the video he is not charging anyone, not threatening anyone, and there are at least three cops on the scene. The guy who shot him had been on the scene less than 30 seconds and commenced to open fire six seconds after getting out of his patrol car. I mean....What. The. Fuck.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: November 25, 2015, 01:45:04 am »

And was reloading when another officer told him to stop.

How about the shooting of Jeremy McDole?  Guy's paralyzed in a wheelchair, obviously in a weird mental state, apparently unaware of his surroundings, and seems so sluggish that he doesn't even look capable of sudden movement.  But officers approach the situation by lining up in front of him in battle stances with guns drawn like he's a rabid dog, shout at him for a little bit, and then light him up when his fingertips slowly enter his pocket.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: November 25, 2015, 08:18:50 am »

Good to see US police force staying classy.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: November 25, 2015, 02:15:35 pm »

Dashcam video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zz03rvyhIk

You can't make out what he's holding (other reports said it was a folding knife), but we can tell he wasn't threatening anyone with it, and wasn't walking towards any cops with it. The dashcam was looking right at him. It didn't record the cop that shot him, but the cop gunned him down and then kept shooting (I saw at least one bullet hit the pavement), as other reports said, and then a cop walked over and kicked his knife away, and then walked away again without bothering to check to see how badly injured he was - but that seems to be SOP. :-[

Also, this is remarkable:
The lawyer for a white Chicago police officer charged with murdering a black teenager said on Wednesday his client feared for his life and that footage from a patrol car camera released this week is unreliable because video "distorts images."

"Video by its nature is two-dimensional. It distorts images. So what appears to be clear on a video sometimes is not always that clear," Herbert said. He said Van Dyke "truly was in fear for his life as well as the lives of his fellow police officers."

And I imagine every black man in this country is in fear for their lives every time they see a cop. Do they also have the right to defend themselves preemptively with lethal force as a result?  ::) They don't even seem to have second amendment rights - they get shot down if a cop sees any kind of weapon, or even thinks he does. It's absurd.

The lawyer says he was threatening businesses and vandalizing cop cars, but "He did BAD THINGS" doesn't justify killing, and "I was afraid for my life" seems like an excuse these days - what's he going to do, throw the knife at you? It's not a frigging ninja star.

It's like everyone's forgotten what's written in the fifth amendment other than the part about not testifying against yourself.
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Cops shooting people dead is literally a violation of their constitutional rights.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: November 25, 2015, 03:09:26 pm »

It's fine, dead people are no longer citizens, so they've waived those rights (except for ol' Walt, of course, and that's just copyright).
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 295