Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 432125 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1230 on: April 20, 2015, 11:36:53 pm »

Pretty much. It's not an issue of the cops suddenly becoming corrupt where they weren't before, it's just that the corruption that was there the whole time's coming to light.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 21, 2015, 04:07:00 am »

It's just that the level of corruption that the police force contains is incredibly high.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 03, 2015, 01:19:57 pm »

Taking the Baltimore discussion out of the American Politics Thread.

These two links appeared one directly on top of the other on my Facebook feed this morning.  I don't think authorities could make a stronger statement.

The 6 officers charged in Freddie Gray's death are released on bail.
Teenager caught in one of the most widely used pictures of the riots placed on $500,000 bail and faces life in prison.

Both the bail and the sentence are harsher than what the officers face on murder charges.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 03, 2015, 01:36:55 pm »

This sounds to me like someone at the top is forcing along the officers' prosecution, and the police and courts going along with it but are taking every opportunity they can to lash out. They blame the protesters (and they're 100% on the mark) for the whole situation and want to make them suffer for it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 03, 2015, 01:37:59 pm »

Don't forget that the kid turned himself in, too, whereas the officers had to be served warrants and brought in :-\

That said, the officers did have bails in the multiple-hundreds of thousands, too -- 350k for the ones on felony charges, 250k for the misdemeanor ones. As the article notes, apparently they didn't want to risk them being in jail, and so decided folks that killed someone and didn't turn themselves in were less of a flight risk than someone that committed what amounts to vandalism and did.

As they say, shit's fucked up.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 03, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »

That said, the officers did have bails in the multiple-hundreds of thousands, too -- 350k for the ones on felony charges, 250k for the misdemeanor ones.

Yeah... another screwed up thing is that they're all able to pay it.  Most likely because police unions always fund bail for police officers, even when their actions are severely damaging to the public image of police.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 03, 2015, 03:57:58 pm »

That said, the officers did have bails in the multiple-hundreds of thousands, too -- 350k for the ones on felony charges, 250k for the misdemeanor ones.

Yeah... another screwed up thing is that they're all able to pay it.  Most likely because police unions always fund bail for police officers, even when their actions are severely damaging to the public image of police.

In this case I can understand. Their guilt will be a matter for the courts, and the union can't very well selectively decide to not support its members. Unfortunately, they weren't caught red-handed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:08:01 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 04, 2015, 12:05:15 am »

They just randomly assault people...

Or kidnap them...

Yeah, there's a curfew... and apparently that means standard arrest procedures don't need to be followed for non-violent suspects...
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 05, 2015, 12:33:10 pm »

Or kidnap them...

1. Still out past curfew
2. Known instigator of trouble before
3. Wearing a mask to hide his identity after being out past curfew is extra suspicious

That is why he was arrested.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 05, 2015, 02:52:01 pm »

Or kidnap them...

1. Still out past curfew
2. Known instigator of trouble before
3. Wearing a mask to hide his identity after being out past curfew is extra suspicious

That is why he was arrested.
But clearly it was a KIDNAPPING because... reasons.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 05, 2015, 03:21:33 pm »

Its how you frame it. 
Lawful arrest of suspicious person breaking lawfully mandated curfew... or grabbing people off the streets and detaining them against their will.

.... Clearly, the law is on the law's side here. 
You can't really frame it as a kidnapping unless you ignore the fact that the authority has given itself casus belli to arrest people for breaking the conditions of a lawfully mandated curfew.

I like how the camera followed the truck, rather then take a look at whats happening with the guy. 
I also like how they timed grabbing the guy, using the truck as cover against media.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 05, 2015, 03:24:38 pm »

The people rise up in protest against the police, tired of being murdered, harassed, oppressed. Bay Watchers step up to defend the police. Naturally.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 05, 2015, 03:34:27 pm »

It's the job of a union to provide specified services to those who pay the dues. Not to uphold some arbitrary image. The union fees are paid for in exchange for the services that they offer. If they withhold their services from members who are accused of crimes, then this undermines why they would pay the dues at all.

The police union are basically the defendant's lawyers in this case, and they've already been paid for the defense counsel they provide. They must ethically assume their clients are innocent, no matter how blatantly rotten they are.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:47:07 pm by Reelya »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 05, 2015, 03:38:38 pm »

The people rise up in protest against the police, tired of being murdered, harassed, oppressed. Bay Watchers step up to defend the police. Naturally.
Yea...  maybe I should have put some sort of sarcasm tag.

But it is true that the police/authorities can and will use their authority of law to give themselves lawful means to detain protesters and ride roughshod over gatherings of protesters.

So yea, the law is clearly not on the side of those demanding change.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 05, 2015, 04:02:55 pm »

Yea...  maybe I should have put some sort of sarcasm tag.

But it is true that the police/authorities can and will use their authority of law to give themselves lawful means to detain protesters and ride roughshod over gatherings of protesters.

So yea, the law is clearly not on the side of those demanding change.
It was more of a general comment than aimed at you. Regardless of whether or not you intended defence, regardless of whether or not your particular post was a defence or apology for the policing institution, there is a resentment towards resistance, a knee-jerk reaction in favour of authority, in favour of oppression.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 295