Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 432226 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1140 on: March 05, 2015, 12:36:30 am »

I generally agree with that sentiment.  The war on drugs is probably the single worst policy decision the US has ever made in terms of cost (human and fiscal).  I would be overjoyed if we could just end it and legalize and regulate the garbage.  I still wouldn't use it or support its use, but I'd be happy that it would be dramatically safer for people to use.  But the police state of America goes substantially deeper than the drug war, and a great many very powerful people have a vested interest in the continuation of said police state.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 12, 2015, 05:06:43 pm »

So... two police officers shot lastnight at a protest in Ferguson.  I don't know anything besides the headlines at the moment.  Don't have time to read into it.  Whatever the details, this isn't likely to result in anything desirable.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 12, 2015, 05:09:48 pm »

So... two police officers shot lastnight at a protest in Ferguson.  I don't know anything besides the headlines at the moment.  Don't have time to read into it.  Whatever the details, this isn't likely to result in anything desirable.

Maybe all the police will just quit.  That might be desirable.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 12, 2015, 05:13:32 pm »

I haven't had time to read into all the details, but the justice department report following the death of Michael Brown contained shitloads of horrible corruption.  There's since been talk that the Ferguson PD may soon be disbanded by federal mandate anyway.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 12, 2015, 05:19:12 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:30:18 pm by penguinofhonor »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 12, 2015, 05:24:29 pm »

Missouri State Police and St. Louis County Police are also now in control of the security situation in Ferguson....again. Whether that's due to the protests and the recent shootings, or because the chain of command in the Ferguson PD is basically being dismantled in the middle of all this....it's probably a mix of both.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 12, 2015, 07:42:37 pm »

I haven't had time to read into all the details, but the justice department report following the death of Michael Brown contained shitloads of horrible corruption.  There's since been talk that the Ferguson PD may soon be disbanded by federal mandate anyway.
My impression of the report (along with another one on Michael Brown's shooter) is "Darren Wilson is probably innocent, but every single other thing in Ferguson is FUBAR". It's so bad, what usually constitutes hyperbole actually understates the issue.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 16, 2015, 06:41:41 pm »

So, first time I've been in this thread, is it safe to say that I'm the only person here who thinks that most of the "abusive policing" cases in recent memory were caused not by the police but by the jerkasses who decided it was a good idea to ATTACK THEM?

Rule of thumb: if you decide to beat on someone who has a gun, what happens next is your own damn fault.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 16, 2015, 06:44:57 pm »

When that's the case, sure assaulting a guy who has a gun and is trained to use it is stupid as shit, but that still leaves all those cases where the police killed nonviolent people for no good reason.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 16, 2015, 06:55:12 pm »

... there's also the whole thing where several other countries manage to deal with stuff like that without, y'know, racking up a significant kill count.

Or the bits where, even when the police are attacked, they could have (and failed, often to even attempt to) dealt with the situation in such a way it didn't come to that, or in a way that doesn't, y'know, end up with a civilian dead on the ground.

You do, from time to time, have situations where cops are legitimately attacked and lethal force is the only reasonable reaction. That... doesn't actually happen very often, and is something training and equipment is supposed to significantly reduce. Which something the cops in the US, at the very least, seem to have somehow missed the memo about.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 16, 2015, 06:59:52 pm »

When that's the case, sure assaulting a guy who has a gun and is trained to use it is stupid as shit, but that still leaves all those cases where the police killed nonviolent people for no good reason.

Well, some background. Basically ever since the Michael Brown thing my mom has been neck deep in the whole thing and ranting and raving constantly about it around the house. Which, admittedly, second hand information, but she's fairly intelligent and from what she's been reading/watching/generallyobsessingover basically NONE of those cases involved "nonviolent people"

Yes, including Michael Brown. She apparently read the notes from the actual trial and the witnesses who claimed to have seen him being nonviolent made a full 180 and testified that he was fighting the officers.

There was one that she agrees was full on the police' fault and that was the one where it was a kid pointing their toy gun around the neighborhood, then the police rode up, jumped out and shot him in the space of about 2 seconds. She watched the video for that one, and had me watch it too.

Hilariously that one is the one that the protesters and such pretty much went "yup, that was fair" and then went back to defending the career criminals strangling police officers.

Once again, this is pretty much all second hand, but my mom is a pretty intelligent person, so I trust her research enough to let it affect my opinions.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 16, 2015, 07:12:02 pm »

... the point isn't whether they involved non-violent people or not. It's whether police reaction was appropriate or not -- it's their bloody job to deal with violent people, and "deal with" does not equate "kill". The testimony regarding brown is fairly well available at this point (check the thread, there's been bucketloads of discussion on it), and wilson acted in a way that was pretty much explicitly calculated to escalate the situation, instead of de-escalate -- he acted more or less the polar opposite of how a police officer should act, and lo and behold, dead person. The burden of responsibility for the situation that happened is not equal -- it can't be equal when one participant is a civilian and the other is an armed and trained officer of the law. And even if it was, most of the evidence we have points pretty strongly to wilson being the disproportionate cause of the situation that happened :-\

And nah, the one where the cops gunned down the kid hasn't been something folks just went, "Yeah, that's fair". There's been fairly notable reaction against it. The only reason there hasn't been more is because the situation got spun to hell and back, last I checked in on it.

There's plenty of cases of cops killing or brutalizing non-violent people, though, if you're looking for it. It's been relatively common for a while now. That's honestly part of the reason it doesn't get more news -- because to a sad extent, it's not news.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 16, 2015, 07:17:18 pm »

Hilariously that one is the one that the protesters and such pretty much went "yup, that was fair" and then went back to defending the career criminals strangling police officers.
Eric Garner wasn't a police officer

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 16, 2015, 07:20:45 pm »

PTW, because I need more sads in my day and I have no self-control.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 16, 2015, 11:07:23 pm »

Eric Garner wasn't a police officer
...plus it was the other way around.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 295