Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428343 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #780 on: December 11, 2014, 01:57:08 pm »

What's worse is the local police have no idea who they are.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 11, 2014, 02:04:36 pm »

Undercover spies then?
probably not any better.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 11, 2014, 02:04:44 pm »

The irony would be delicious if a provocateur gets beaten senseless by uninformed officers who noticed people were following their lead.

So here's something... I just found this and haven't had time to read through the circumstances, but this is what is being reported on the surface.

Two undercover cops were ousted while trying to instigate a crowd of protesters into looting.  When discovered, one officer responded by pulling a gun on the crowd...

Well, that's... a thing. Huh.

why
Because some police don't seem to knnow anything BUT escalation.

And so people write off the protesters as opportunistic looters instead of hearing what they have to say, which runs counter to the interests of the police.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 11, 2014, 02:33:18 pm »

Does any one else get that annoying feeling of wanting to do something, but knowing they can't? Because I'm getting that right now.

Organize local political discussion group and try to have a regular attendance. You should focus on getting regular blue and white collar workers above anything else. Get the feeling of the general sentiment as accurately as possible and try to spot the issues where a mximum of peoples have a common group. Phase out divisive issues and try to keep it up for a few year and organize local actions. Write everything that is said and any decision taken.

Once you know how to organise that, seed that model to cities of the same state. Elect president of the local council and arrange reunions every three month. After that try seeding it to the other states.

Keep that organisation mostly apolitical but denounce politicans when they slip, never endorse them.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 11, 2014, 05:47:44 pm »

Clearly we should let farmers and fishermen get away with murder every now and then, afterall they have dangerous jobs.
On a sidenote: I heard that after Hiroshima the first reaction of the Japanese High Command was "We need that as well!". Even obliterating a whole city was not enough to get them off the war path.
They already understood the concept of atomic weapons and indeed had a program for them so that sounds like complete bullshit to me.  And in any case by arguing that they'd never surrender ever (there's a lot of historical debate over this and I don't think it's productive to have it here) you're pretty much defeating your own argument because they did actually surrender in reality.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 11, 2014, 06:59:05 pm »

My point was that when even obliterating a whole city wasn't sufficient, just bombing a fairly empty spot - as was suggested previously - would've done even less.

Looking back, that was suggested a fair bit of time before my post, so the connection may not have been clear.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 11, 2014, 07:15:13 pm »

Does any one else get that annoying feeling of wanting to do something, but knowing they can't? Because I'm getting that right now.

Organize local political discussion group and try to have a regular attendance. You should focus on getting regular blue and white collar workers above anything else. Get the feeling of the general sentiment as accurately as possible and try to spot the issues where a mximum of peoples have a common group. Phase out divisive issues and try to keep it up for a few year and organize local actions. Write everything that is said and any decision taken.

Once you know how to organise that, seed that model to cities of the same state. Elect president of the local council and arrange reunions every three month. After that try seeding it to the other states.

Keep that organisation mostly apolitical but denounce politicans when they slip, never endorse them.

I'm barely able to get 5 people together for a roleplay session on a weekend once in a while.  I don't know anybody who actually cares about these issues who isn't too busy trying to keep their lives in order to commit to something like this.  This is that other major obstacle to change that I mentioned before.  Americans are horrendously overburdened.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 11, 2014, 07:19:07 pm »

Clearly we should let farmers and fishermen get away with murder every now and then, afterall they have dangerous jobs.
On a sidenote: I heard that after Hiroshima the first reaction of the Japanese High Command was "We need that as well!". Even obliterating a whole city was not enough to get them off the war path.
They already understood the concept of atomic weapons and indeed had a program for them so that sounds like complete bullshit to me.  And in any case by arguing that they'd never surrender ever (there's a lot of historical debate over this and I don't think it's productive to have it here) you're pretty much defeating your own argument because they did actually surrender in reality.

They were were prepared to fight us to the last man (or thereabouts), but The BOMB demonstrated that we could simply wipe them out without actually fighting them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:26:16 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 11, 2014, 07:25:28 pm »

Bullshit. Bombing cities to dust was part of the US doctrine in WW2. And not only the US. Burning cities to demoralize the enemy was also attempted by the Nazis. The US just had a new, better toy for doing so.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 11, 2014, 07:32:31 pm »

Bullshit. Bombing cities to dust was part of the US doctrine in WW2. And not only the US. Burning cities to demoralize the enemy was also attempted by the Nazis. The US just had a new, better toy for doing so.

Yes, but if the city isn't destroyed all at once there's a chance they might be able to mobilize defenses. The last thing you want to do during a war is get drawn into a fight.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 11, 2014, 07:33:42 pm »

So here's something... I just found this and haven't had time to read through the circumstances, but this is what is being reported on the surface.

Two undercover cops were ousted while trying to instigate a crowd of protesters into looting.  When discovered, one officer responded by pulling a gun on the crowd...

Good god, that's almost straight out of Les Miserables
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 11, 2014, 08:08:17 pm »

I guess that's what happens when law enforcement considers itself an institution separate from everything else. It starts doing all sorts of unsavory things to protect itself. Like trying to incite riots/looting to create the excuse to clear them with force.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:38:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 11, 2014, 09:14:07 pm »

Kinda like building illegal settlements in occupied territories.

...yeah, I went there.

If there's one thing that I think this is all revealing, it's that any talk of this being a "post-racial" country is total and utter bullshit. The blatant racism coming out of the woodwork now is just jaw-dropping. The comments sections on the local news stations and whatnot are just....wow. I think a terrifyingly large number of people are actually gleefully looking forward to seeing just how many more black people can get killed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 11, 2014, 09:15:10 pm »

Shoo, shoo! *beats RedKing with broom*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 11, 2014, 09:39:06 pm »

...yeah, I went there.

If there's one thing that I think this is all revealing, it's that any talk of this being a "post-racial" country is total and utter bullshit. The blatant racism coming out of the woodwork now is just jaw-dropping. The comments sections on the local news stations and whatnot are just....wow. I think a terrifyingly large number of people are actually gleefully looking forward to seeing just how many more black people can get killed.

It's the internet...  People exaggerate to get noticed.  The racists in my family don't want anyone to get killed.  They think the other races are stealing jobs, and predisposed to crime.  Which is due to the BS they hear from Fox.  (They're right about certain minorities statistically *committing* more crimes, but that's because of impoverished racially homogenous communities with a lack of stability).

There obviously are people who straight-up want to kill other races.  People like that exist *everywhere*.  We've abolished and *reversed* the incredibly racist laws which literally oppressed minorities.  Nowadays the American taxpayer pays a considerable amount of money towards affirmative action, trying to undo the damage of the past.  That causes a lot of resentment (*I* never oppressed anyone, says the average Joe) but it's necessary.

So many race-based scholarships.  Even in corporations we have minority quotas.  Is that a fair solution for anybody?  Nope, but it's also necessary.  Because these unfair, hamfisted actions are the only way to eventually achieve actual racial parity.

White Americans are literally paying to make this happen, and a lot aren't happy about it.  But it's happening, and it's far different from the *actual* oppressive systems we had in place in the SIXTIES.  America has come a long way in a very short time, and is actively funding its minority population at the moment.

Of course, that runs counter to the race-blind machinations of the neocons in the 1%, who are destroying the middle class and upward mobility.  But at least we're all going to be poor together.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 295