Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428360 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #765 on: December 11, 2014, 05:38:17 am »

They were already in surrender negotiations, an invasion wasn't really on the cards.
Did you know that no purple hearts have been produced since 1945? The ones the Iraq veterans got were produced back then, in anticipation of the most horrific invasion in human history. They lasted through Korea, through Vietnam... They made more than half a million.

And that's for wounded soldiers, it does not include dead ones.

On a sidenote: I heard that after Hiroshima the first reaction of the Japanese High Command was "We need that as well!". Even obliterating a whole city was not enough to get them off the war path.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 11, 2014, 08:18:36 am »

Japan made the worst move I've heard of. Attacking America and its allies at the time was incredibely suicidal, all America has to do was to produce more ships and planes than them, and crush them with their numeric, industrial and raw material supply superiority. Nothing short of a total German domination of Eurasia could have saved them. And Germany postition was very precarious from the start : their victory against France and England alone was incredible and unexpected at the time.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 11, 2014, 08:56:43 am »

What victory against England?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 11, 2014, 09:02:48 am »

Japan made the worst move I've heard of. Attacking America and its allies at the time was incredibely suicidal, all America has to do was to produce more ships and planes than them, and crush them with their numeric, industrial and raw material supply superiority. Nothing short of a total German domination of Eurasia could have saved them. And Germany postition was very precarious from the start : their victory against France and England alone was incredible and unexpected at the time.

What victory against England?
^
This. What even are you talking about phmcw.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 11, 2014, 09:31:55 am »

Attacking the US was a gamble for Japan. Many in the IJN knew this and were not supportive of the idea. Unfortunately the main power in the ruling clique was with the IJA. Yamamoto Isoroku famously promised Tojo that he could give Japan complete uncontested dominance of the Pacific for six months, and that he couldn't promise anything after that. The Battle of Midway was just over six months after Pearl Harbor.

The idea wasn't completely stupid. America was strongly isolationist and had a small, under equipped and poorly trained army. It had a potent navy, however. The thought was to deprive them of that navy (which according to prewar schools of thought, was centered around the battleship) and force the US into peace negotiations.

Pearl Harbor did exactly that. Its a testament to the USN that they adapted and developed carrier warfare doctrines in such a short time. And no one expected the whole country to go into full war mobilization the way it did.

But why exactly are we discussing this in a thread about cops shooting unarmed citizens?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 11, 2014, 09:33:53 am »

No idea how we even got to this thread derail RedKing.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:56 am »

US Police Sucks => US Sucks => Nuking Japan is an historical example of US Sucking => Pearl Harbor

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 11, 2014, 09:46:13 am »

US Police Sucks => US Sucks => Nuking Japan is an historical example of US Sucking => Pearl Harbor
=>cue the US going into rage mode, hulking out and going full on at Japan.

Well okay, it's an oversimplification and somewhat overdramatization..

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 11, 2014, 10:07:03 am »

No, it was more like,

American Police State => Patriot Act and 9/11 => Previous times America has been attacked on home soil (ie. Pearl Harbor) => what we did afterwards
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:09:53 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: December 11, 2014, 12:43:46 pm »

Yeah, I think this de-rail was my fault, I'm the one who brought up the "Well, you know what happened LAST time..."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 11, 2014, 01:03:11 pm »

So here's something... I just found this and haven't had time to read through the circumstances, but this is what is being reported on the surface.

Two undercover cops were ousted while trying to instigate a crowd of protesters into looting.  When discovered, one officer responded by pulling a gun on the crowd...

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: December 11, 2014, 01:38:51 pm »

Is it any coincidence that most of these are also DF jobs?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: December 11, 2014, 01:42:32 pm »

Farming is a pretty safe job for dwarves IMO.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: December 11, 2014, 01:51:35 pm »

So here's something... I just found this and haven't had time to read through the circumstances, but this is what is being reported on the surface.

Two undercover cops were ousted while trying to instigate a crowd of protesters into looting.  When discovered, one officer responded by pulling a gun on the crowd...

Well, that's... a thing. Huh.

why
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 295