Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428503 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2014, 01:08:58 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_P._McCulloch_%28prosecutor%29

In 1997, in the so-called "Kinkogate" case, McCulloch gave - using the power of the grand jury, but without informing it - a subpoena to the police in order to identify a whistleblower who was acting lawfully. He first claimed the fax contained a threat but later conceded that there was no threat and no crime, but denied any wrongdoing. The whistleblower had to quit his job.

^ corruptly feeding documents to the police to help silence their critics. plus caught out misusing a grand jury.

In 2000, in the so-called "Jack in the Box" case, two undercover officers, a police officer and a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) officer, shot and killed two unarmed black men in the parking lot of a Jack in the Box fast-food restaurant in Berkeley, Missouri. In 2001, the officers told a grand jury convened by McCulloch that the suspects tried to escape arrest and then drove toward them; the jury declined to indict. McCulloch told the public that every witness had testified to confirm this version, but St. Louis Post-Dispatch journalist Michael Sorkin reviewed the previously secret grand jury tapes, released to him by McCulloch, and found that McCulloch's statement was untrue: only three of 13 officers testified that the car was moving forward. A subsequent federal investigation found that the men were unarmed and that their car had not moved forward when the officers fired 21 shots

^ Outright caught lying about a very similar case. plus caught out misusing a grand jury.

After the August 9, 2014 shooting of Michael Brown, McCulloch announced that rather than making a decision about whether to arrest Ferguson, Missouri police officer Darren Wilson, he would bring the case before a grand jury, leaving to jurors the decision of what charges might be brought, if any. His spokesman acknowledged that it was unusual that the prosecutor was not asking the grand jury to endorse a specific charge. It was also unusual to present a case to a grand jury before the police investigation is over.

I mean, they didn't even have a police report (august 20th), let alone a completed investigation before he's trying to use the grand jury to rubber stamp getting the police off the charges. Considering his history, and the glaring issues with protocols not followed, you'd have to be deliberately obtuse to not know something's up in this case ...

Oh, btw he comes from a police family.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:16:51 pm by Reelya »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2014, 01:14:11 pm »

Wikipedia isn't a remotely reliable source, though, especially in cases like this. It quickly become a patchork of partisan articles.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2014, 01:26:01 pm »

Well, you can check the citations and see if they support the allegations. Stuff with specific names and dates and case information doesn't tend to be easily falsified. The source for the allegations is the St Loius Post Dispatch. I'm lead to believe they are a major local paper.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/sign-petitions-seeking-special-prosecutor-in-michael-brown-shooting/article_d0cc6e7f-8b32-5153-8ab4-86ebdc4659ca.html

According to this he lied to the public in the 2000 case about the grand jury findings, to vindicate the police, and he also lied to the grand jury by withholding evidence that implicated police in wrongdoing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just going "wikipedia is wrong because wikipedia" isn't a great argument. If you doubt the validity, prove it. Wikipedia sucks isn't a coherent argument. It's the one you fall back on when you can't disprove what's said.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:27:37 pm by Reelya »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 26, 2014, 01:29:43 pm »

I was investigating just that.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #244 on: November 26, 2014, 01:33:56 pm »

Just going "wikipedia is wrong because wikipedia" isn't a great argument. If you doubt the validity, prove it. Wikipedia sucks isn't a coherent argument. It's the one you fall back on when you can't disprove what's said.
Popping in to PTW and also say wikipedia a shit, especially with big media spectacles where people will almost certainly want their narrative to be pushed. For all the same reason that I wouldn't cite wikipedia as a source, and I would go so far as to even exclude all American news stations as reliable sources.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 26, 2014, 01:45:27 pm »

Everyone's pushing something. After a certain point you would have to eliminate all news stations, papers, and websites.
Except IsleofBrintNews.com! All info you need about one specific small island off the coast of Scotland! 100% accurate!
In latest news, a fence door was open. Police constable Ian (You know, the only police constable on the Isle of Brint) suggests it may have been the wind, but does not rule out those youths hanging about by the community center.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 26, 2014, 01:57:24 pm »

The West Highland Free Press springs to mind. God that's biased.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 26, 2014, 01:59:54 pm »

I checked, and there is no IsleofBrintNews.com. I'm sorely disappointed, Fniff, and I believe you owe us all a thrilling tale of fence door hooliganism.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 26, 2014, 02:02:44 pm »

Anyway, I did found things about the whistleblower case, where he seems to have clearly abused his power.

ABout the Jack in the box case, that I found mentionned here.

They were exonerated by the FBI and I couldn't find the lie the newspaper is talking about. The prosecutor did came under fire for his weak prosecution of the case, though.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 26, 2014, 02:04:32 pm »

For every miscarriage of justice that favors one side, chances are that there will be another miscarriage of justice that favors the other, just to even out the scale.

After Rodney King, the courts gave us OJ Simpson...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 26, 2014, 02:06:53 pm »

After Rodney King, the courts gave us OJ Simpson...

OJ had a trial.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 26, 2014, 03:39:53 pm »

Does anyone thinks that Wilson didn't murder Brown but should have still went on trial?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 26, 2014, 03:52:17 pm »

I think it's possible that he didn't murder him, and that the whole scenario is the result of a police department fumbling an attempt to protect one of its own who didn't actually need it, out of sheer reflex due to the number of cases where bona fide examples of abuse have occurred. It's possible, and that's why I think it absolutely needed to go to trial. Because, as it stands, I will never have an opportunity to be convinced - the government's handling of this has, on all levels, reeked of thoughtless ass-covering, and the refusal to proceed with trial is just one more part of it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 26, 2014, 04:14:27 pm »

I think it's possible that he didn't murder him, and that the whole scenario is the result of a police department fumbling an attempt to protect one of its own who didn't actually need it, out of sheer reflex due to the number of cases where bona fide examples of abuse have occurred. It's possible, and that's why I think it absolutely needed to go to trial. Because, as it stands, I will never have an opportunity to be convinced - the government's handling of this has, on all levels, reeked of thoughtless ass-covering, and the refusal to proceed with trial is just one more part of it.
Wot he gone done said.

+1, as it were.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 26, 2014, 04:15:20 pm »

Wot he gone done said.
Thirded and sealed. Improbable but possible; needed a proper trial.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 295