Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428653 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2014, 12:11:23 am »

Posting to watch the god-forsaken shitstorm.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2014, 12:33:35 am »

BurnedToast, I'm... not sure what kind of robbers you interact with, but I don't get your point there? Like, why would someone who *just committed a crime* decide "Hey, let's fuck with the cops. Especially since I'm still holding the stuff I stole! GREAT IDEA 2014!"

Even assuming he stole anything/committed a crime, which is... not really a good assumption to make, not as a given.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2014, 01:02:01 am »

They're calling for a Black Friday boycott, in which I will be taking part.
+1

Black Friday is nuts, I already boycott it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2014, 01:30:26 am »

At my budget level, buy nothing day happens multiple times a week!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2014, 01:46:44 am »

Thing is, rioting isn't even the worst that can happen. If the conditions that led to the riots persist for long enough, I expect full-blown terrorism.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2014, 04:40:19 am »

Called it. There was no way he'd get indicted given the current state of America's exigence toward its police. That cop acted accordingly to his doctrine and is innocent.

The thing is, you cannot blame him, and I pity America's cops. Their work conditions are horrible and their work is hopeless. The only way to go forward is to stop the bullshit, admit race isn't relevant (even within privilege theory) and GODDAM FUND PULIC SCHOOLS. Also making work less of a chore : my previous boss told me that one of his problem with doing buisness in America was the very high turnover due to poor work conditions for low skill jobs. And peoples here think twice (or trice) before working at an "American style" company because of the overwork.

Make a society worth living in, and peoples will get more peaceful.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 26, 2014, 04:48:09 am »

my previous boss told me that one of his problem with doing buisness in America was the very high turnover due to poor work conditions for low skill jobs.
I heard a similar thing from my sister's boyfriend about a manufacturer of automotive parts: They opened a factory in America, but they couldn't geet educated workers - it's rather specialized work after all. And educating workers themselves was not an option because as soon as a worker had finished a course he'd run off to a competitor for $.25 extra per hour.
I saw an interesting link in the terrified thread: Maybe all that America needs is a little bit of nudging toward the collectivist end of the scale.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2014, 05:34:48 am »

The thing is, you cannot blame him, and I pity America's cops.

Nopenope. I can empathize (if not sympathize) with Wilson if I try, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be blamed. He panicked in a situation he was trained and paid to be able to handle, and his panic ended up killing a person. Shit like that deserves consequences, but our police are set up as warrior-heroes for some reason and don't see repercussions. There's a lot of things that need correcting in American society, and the police forces are right up there in that list.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2014, 05:47:26 am »

He panicked in a situation he was trained and paid to be able to handle,

Why was he answering an emregency alone? Also trained? America's cop training is a joke, you can see the result everyday. Their shooting is horrible desescalation deosn't seems to be a concept they understand, they operate alone on dangerous situation all the time (I never saw a cop alone in any remotely tense situation in Belgium),...

They may be seen as warrior heroes in the US , but they look like clueless, undertained, understaffed, overworked, undercared for (psychologically) from here.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2014, 05:53:56 am »

In the context of these riots that sprung up, does it honestly even matter whether or not the guy is guilty or innocent? It seems like lots of people were set on the fact that he's guilty from the start of this whole thing months ago, and any verdict that didn't end up in him being jailed was going to cause a riot regardless of the (legal or otherwise) truth.

I'll freely admit I'm not american or following this rather closely (I know the general details, but not the fine ones), but in the case the cop is innocent it appears like a horrible lose-lose situation of imprison him unjustly or cause riots.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2014, 06:38:24 am »

So, this is Darren Wilson's account on what happened and why he did what he did. Note: Not an 'objective' source. The interview the article is essentially recounting in a shortened form is here.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2014, 07:19:37 am »

That's... a perfectly normal agression story. Nothing make sense, you have no idea why you've been attacked, and at the start you have trouble defending yourself. Exactly the same weird feeling as my own when I was attacked. One second he was swinging, the next he's talking the next we're fighting again, all because I gave a "weird look".

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 26, 2014, 07:50:01 am »

If that police officer was only following procedures and regulations and has done absolutely nothing wrong in the eyes of the law then there is something very wrong with the procedures and laws. He is a murderer - he could have used pepper spray and he didn't need to pursue him. I think it helps to count out on your fingers up to 12, saying the word "bang" to get an impression of what he did to that boy.

But that grand jury verdict in the context of the terrible living conditions and violence in African American communities just confirms to me that in the United States, just like in London, a black life is worth less than a white life.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:56:00 am by Owlbread »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2014, 07:56:49 am »

If that police officer was only following procedures and regulations and has done absolutely nothing wrong in the eyes of the law then there is something very wrong with the procedures and laws.

He is a murderer.

Read his account : he's been subject to a violent agression from someone who was behaving erratically before (roberry). There IS something very wrong with the procedures and laws, though. Just the fact that he was alone in his car is unbelivable.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 26, 2014, 08:07:05 am »

Read his account : he's been subject to a violent agression from someone who was behaving erratically before (roberry). There IS something very wrong with the procedures and laws, though. Just the fact that he was alone in his car is unbelivable.

I have read his account and watched his interview. Based on that I concluded he was a murderer.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 295