Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428608 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2014, 10:47:29 pm »

As for the rioting, I think it is actually appropriate.

I kinda agree.  It isn't right, but its not like anything else seems to be working.  What should you do when protesting doesn't work?

Obstruct the activities of the people oppressing you. Sit on the tree that's going to be chopped down. Set all the factory's machines to make scrap. Wait 'til the riot police are gone for the day and occupy the courthouse with gas masks. Not saying this would definitely "work," especially without some specific demands, but it is a common theme in successful protests in the past: Seize. Hold. Defend.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:49:23 pm by freeformschooler »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2014, 10:56:39 pm »

It's reached the tipping point in Ferguson again, CNN is reporting a police car got attacked.

Meanwhile, protests in cities from coast to coast, no violence that I'm aware of.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:13 pm »

I kinda agree.  It isn't right, but its not like anything else seems to be working.  What should you do when protesting doesn't work?

Obstruct the activities of the people oppressing you. Sit on the tree that's going to be chopped down. Set all the factory's machines to make scrap. Wait 'til the riot police are gone for the day and occupy the courthouse with gas masks. Not saying this would definitely "work," especially without some specific demands, but it is a common theme in successful protests in the past: Seize. Hold. Defend.

Rubber bullets.  Batons.  Mass arrests.  Order resumes.  There have been literally thousands of these occupation actions in the last 4 years.  Authorities have no trouble dealing with them, especially when the protesters are committed to peace.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:43 pm »

Rubber bullets.  Batons.  Mass arrests.  Order resumes.  There have been literally thousands of these occupation actions in the last 4 years.  Authorities have no trouble dealing with them, especially when the protesters are committed to peace.

Yes. They had little trouble in the past, either, especially when they had armor that magically deflected all blows and the kerns did not. Didn't stop these things from happening and occasionally working.

And the protesters need not be committed to peace, although it certainly raises the chances of not getting killed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2014, 11:09:29 pm »

Kems?

Anyways, things are de-evolving in Ferguson.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2014, 11:11:54 pm »

I'm not saying it isn't sometimes effective.  I'm saying that it's not a sufficient tactic by itself in the present situation.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2014, 11:16:35 pm »

I'm not saying it isn't sometimes effective.  I'm saying that it's not a sufficient tactic by itself in the present situation.

Of course. But I cannot see car tipping and building burning alone as being in any way effective, either. In fact, it seems more likely, based on the comments section of every article on the Internet, that it would actually get the opposite effect. People would think, "There should have been more violent, awful police here!" instead of "I want the government to reform the system to disincentive glass smashing AND shooting poor black kids!" as your post seemed to indicate.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2014, 11:19:01 pm »

Well, everyplace else that's having a protest is fine so far.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2014, 11:19:54 pm »

Well, everyplace else that's having a protest is fine so far.

Apparently there were some arrests in LA but no property damage.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2014, 11:24:16 pm »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:11:55 am by penguinofhonor »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2014, 11:33:05 pm »

Of course. But I cannot see car tipping and building burning alone as being in any way effective, either.

It's absolutely not.  I agree.  And it's far from the only strategy that's been applied since Michael Brown was shot, either.

In fact, it seems more likely, based on the comments section of every article on the Internet, that it would actually get the opposite effect. People would think, "There should have been more violent, awful police here!" instead of "I want the government to reform the system to disincentive glass smashing AND shooting poor black kids!" as your post seemed to indicate.

If it's a one-time thing, I would expect that to be the response.  People who aren't effected don't want to care.  The question is what their attitude will be if it's established that more violence by police will not force the issue off their radar, and that this can be expected continuously if police keep up their behavior.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2014, 11:37:34 pm »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:42:59 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2014, 11:38:45 pm »

In fact, it seems more likely, based on the comments section of every article on the Internet, that it would actually get the opposite effect. People would think, "There should have been more violent, awful police here!" instead of "I want the government to reform the system to disincentive glass smashing AND shooting poor black kids!" as your post seemed to indicate.

If it's a one-time thing, I would expect that to be the response.  People who aren't effected don't want to care.  The question is what their attitude will be if it's established that more violence by police will not force the issue off their radar, and that this can be expected continuously if police keep up their behavior.

This is one of those scenarios where person A thinks person B is wrong but hopes beyond hope they are right. It's hard to communicate over text.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2014, 11:45:13 pm »

This is one of those scenarios where person A thinks person B is wrong but hopes beyond hope they are right. It's hard to communicate over text.

I'm not exactly optimistic.  I just don't think the rioting is an inappropriate response at this stage of things.  It's highly unlikely that it will be highlighted as a factor if any positive change does occur.  Most likely no strategy will be.  It's just another form of pressure that can be applied, and different forms are appropriate at different times. 

That's really all protest and activism is about.  Pressure pressure pressure until something cracks.  And you can't apply just one tool to one area, because that area will be reinforced.  There has to be diversity.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2014, 12:01:48 am »

They're calling for a Black Friday boycott, in which I will be taking part.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 295