Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428230 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #885 on: December 21, 2014, 07:58:11 am »

Y... yes? It seems pretty straight forward to me, unless you're looking to misinterpret it.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 21, 2014, 08:08:48 am »

... yeah, that was pretty specifically satirical commentary on the unfortunately standard defamation campaigns directed towards victims of police excess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 21, 2014, 08:39:23 am »

Seriously? Two cops shot is "war on cops"?

Where do you get your cops form? The asylum for the chronically phobic of everything? The pool of peoples fired from the army for cowardise? The departement of hyperbole?
That episode of south park where peoples get guns because they are scared of everything?

I shouldn't be surprised, though, half the justifications for their senseless killing is "but he could have hurt me if he actually had reached for a weapon and not a toygun/phone/wallet/pacifier and I didn't dare to wait to actually identify the threath".
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:41:01 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 21, 2014, 08:53:27 am »

Was it?  The thing above it is obviously a joke but I don't see anything telling me ohe other isn't.
Really?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:46 am »

The 'war on cops' comments seem to be directed more at the protesters (for inciting violence) and the mayor and Eric Holder for not fully and unconditionally supporting the police.

Looking at the given reasons for attacking mayor Di Blasio there are two that appear to have any substance;

1) He supported Holder's investigation into the Garner case, saying that the Federal investigation was valid and would be conducted well. Not that he could have blocked it, but not denouncing it and choosing to be the one to announce it was enough.

2) He said during a press conference that he gave his son the usual talk about how to behave around police officers. His wife is black, he is 6'6''; his son is a big black guy. Story about the press conference.

He was told not to bother attending any police funerals in the future, and when attending the hospital after these shootings the officers on site turned their backs on him.

They are drawing a circle with the thin blue line, and drawing it close.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 21, 2014, 09:11:37 am »

I wonder how much banning police unions would help since they're pretty powerful. And yeah, damning statements all around, the culture needs to change.

Out of curiosity, how would people (and organizations) in other countries treat it if their officers behaved like that with the statements?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 21, 2014, 09:51:56 am »

It's not just the US. It happens everywhere. It's just that (like in the US, until recently) there's media silence about the problem.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 21, 2014, 09:54:49 am »

Well, you guys in Europe certainly make it sound like those statements don't happen all that often or it's not really a problem.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 21, 2014, 10:06:20 am »

It's not just the US. It happens everywhere. It's just that (like in the US, until recently) there's media silence about the problem.

I never heard of anything remotely similar in western Europe, though there is something very fishy in the UK.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 21, 2014, 10:09:50 am »

Well, you guys in Europe certainly make it sound like those statements don't happen all that often or it's not really a problem.
We have fewer black people, you know? Racism here is a much smaller issue than in America, and it's mostly directed at immigrants. Plus we are less insane with our guns.
There were a few cases of police brutality in Germany over the past few years, but they've mostly been overhyped. The only issue that consistently pops up is police mistreating protestors, but those are mostly leftists, so nobody gives a shit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 21, 2014, 10:33:56 am »

We have fewer black people, you know? Racism here is a much smaller issue than in America, and it's mostly directed at immigrants. Plus we are less insane with our guns.
There were a few cases of police brutality in Germany over the past few years, but they've mostly been overhyped. The only issue that consistently pops up is police mistreating protestors, but those are mostly leftists, so nobody gives a shit.

You're understating the "less insane with our guns" : every single use of a gun by the police cause a big inquiry, and in some (most?) countries every death a trial. In average the police kill several order of magnitude less peoples.

Even white peoples are more than 30 times less likely to be shot by German police than the American one and cops HAVE TO desecalate the situation whenever possible.

When the cops can shoot whoever they want and have no notion of desescalation, personal bia take a lot more importance, that's for sure. A Belgian cop could be a neo nazi, he'll cause less harm than an American one with a mild bias.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 21, 2014, 11:50:56 am »

I never heard of anything remotely similar in western Europe, though there is something very fishy in the UK.
I regularly kept hearing sirens from town, but I can't tell why or if they're even police sirens.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 21, 2014, 12:22:04 pm »

This site seems to have a lot of stories up.

If you're a cop witnessing violence, they prefer you let it happen.

;;
Does anyone know where I can find a place that isn't police state dystopia? (Or civil war?  or other dystopia?)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 21, 2014, 12:25:48 pm »

Some parts of Europe?
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 295