Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 431073 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2955 on: June 04, 2020, 05:01:44 am »

But we can't do that; then the ATF would actually have something illegal in its name!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: June 04, 2020, 05:04:17 am »

Snapchat has announced it will no longer link to videos with Trump in it, stating it will not give a platform to anyone that incites racial violence and inequality.
It will not actively remove Trump videos though, people who follow him on Snapchat can still do so.
His videos will no longer show in the 'for you' selection of videos.

Inb4 Trump is banned from 4chan
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 05:07:41 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: June 04, 2020, 05:14:42 am »

Cool, thanks for fixing my mistake!

So that would make the odds of a cop being killed by gunshot about 1/20,000 per year.

I mean, I kinda wonder how much that would change if gun control were tighter in the USA. It's kind of hard to shoot someone if you can't get a gun.

Then the war on drugs could become the war on guns! Everyone wins!

Nice, cool, we can take the core reason for police brutality and violent crime in the US and do it again.  That'll fix shit.  The hypothetical traffic cop would not need to fear for his life if his traffic stop weren't just a pretext for searching the driver's car for drugs so he can steal the car and send the driver to prison.

Violent crime is state failure.  Civilian disarmament won't do shit until the core causes of violent crime are dealt with, and of course once violent crime is dealt with we won't need to disarm.  Gun ownership is not a core cause of violent crime.  Police brutality is.
Shoes...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: June 04, 2020, 05:26:18 am »

It might not be the core cause of violent crime, but it is the core cause of police fearing for their lives everytime they have to interact with a civilian.
Which, to be clear, does not excuse racial profiling or killing suspects by sitting on them for 9 minutes.
But you can't blame police for becoming paranoid schizophrenics because of their constant fear for life.  That is to blame on the 2nd amendment.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 05:28:10 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: June 04, 2020, 05:34:20 am »

I personally see value in creating a society that doesn't have universal access to lethal force. I'd suggest that this could allow the focus of police interactions with the public to move away from a cop fearing for their life and responding with overwhelming force as an opening tactic to secure their safety. Without the threat of having their interaction potentially turn into an armed conflict, violent police behavior should rightfully be seen as an abhorrent act without justifiable cause.

Today, their focus is neutralizing resistance as quickly as possible to avoid violent armed retaliation. I'd hope in the future, without that mindset pervading the training and procedures used by police, it could be transformed into open dialogue and deescalation.

I agree with martinuzz, that it doesn't justify police brutality. But it does go a long way to explaining why police respond with excessive force as an opening tactic.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: June 04, 2020, 07:17:32 am »

Eh, recent history has shown that police favor confronting crowds of unarmed/peaceful protestors and provoking/dispersing them.  While leaving looters to take advantage of their lack of presence, at least for the first few days.
An unofficial playbook for delegitimizing protests has probably been developed, what with their experience dealing with such things over these past few decades.

It is a vastly different response to the armed protestors that were ‘storming’ state govt buildings a few weeks before George Floyd.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: June 04, 2020, 07:58:41 am »

It might not be the core cause of violent crime, but it is the core cause of police fearing for their lives everytime they have to interact with a civilian.
Which, to be clear, does not excuse racial profiling or killing suspects by sitting on them for 9 minutes.
But you can't blame police for becoming paranoid schizophrenics because of their constant fear for life.  That is to blame on the 2nd amendment.

The unproductive answer would boo fucking hoo if the cop is scared, the guy he shot was scared too because police have a vast list of things they can ruin your life over and incentives to do so. 

But really, this is all acting as if police directly murdering people in the street is the entire problem.  The problem with police goes much deeper than violent altercations.  They enforce laws differently for white and black people, prey on black communities to supplement city budgets, steal your shit, beat their wives at a 40% rate (you can probably assume the kids fare similarly, and remember that child abuse is the initiation into violence for virtually all violent criminals), all of the well-known problems with prison, all the well known problems with ICE (And some less well known ones)

Conveniently, fixing these problems will also dramatically reduce violent crime, since violent crime is state failure.  They stop their shit first.
Shoes...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: June 04, 2020, 08:08:00 am »

That "40% rate" claim is untrue.

40% of cops don't beat their wives, 40% of cops are reported to beat their wives. The actual number is doubtlessly higher.
Black lives matter.

Red Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: June 04, 2020, 09:07:36 am »

The police here are merely the scapegoat for the violent and racist tendencies of American society in general. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2964 on: June 04, 2020, 09:15:15 am »

The police here are merely the scapegoat for the violent and racist tendencies of American society in general.
I feel like it's more they're just the next step towards moderating violent and racist tendencies in Murrican society

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: June 04, 2020, 09:21:38 am »

Moderating the police is or the police is as they are now?
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2966 on: June 04, 2020, 09:34:52 am »

do u even want know more to do look like is?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: June 04, 2020, 09:37:58 am »

I'm not sure in what thread to put this, but the released county medical examiner's autopsy found George Floyd tested positive for Coronavirus, apparently having caught it initially on April. The doctors who performed the private autopsy for Floyd's family recently criticized the county for not alerting people. “The funeral director wasn’t told, and we weren’t told, and now a lot of people are running around trying to get tested. If you do the autopsy and it’s positive for the coronavirus, it’s usual to tell everyone who is going to be in touch with the body. There would have been more care.”

The doctor went on to say that the four cops who've been charged, the witnesses and others should be tested. There's no suggestion coronavirus contributed to his death in police custody, as he was likely asymptomatic at the time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: June 04, 2020, 09:46:05 am »

Plot twist the four cops now die of the plague. This plot line is so predictable smh you just have to think of what's the worst thing that could happen and that's what the writers choose it's so lazy tbh.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: June 04, 2020, 10:04:23 am »

do u even want know more to do look like is?

You know what I meant say is the police is step to next moderate by moderating police or the police is as they are not moderated right now
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 295