Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429883 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2505 on: September 17, 2018, 08:06:41 am »

>handing the gun back
ayyyyyyyyy

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: September 17, 2018, 08:41:36 am »

Not defending her, she was well in control of the situation and shouldn't have felt that threatened to begin with (she was in a lit hallway and saw that the door was already opened. From that point, she put herself in danger by going in alone and not calling the cops, which is coincidentally the complete opposite of what the police advise in the event of a suspected intruder). But drilled reactions are drilled reactions.

As for the door locking/unlocking thing, I must have forgotten about that from the article. I figured she must have just opened the door and gone in (meaning that she was comfortable with "her" door being unlocked) before getting startled by the strange man in her apartment... Because seeing that the door was open and then just going inside to get "spooked" is fucking stupid.
According to her affidavit, she didn't seem to notice it was ajar (at least at first):
The door was slightly ajar as she tried to use her key, which has an electronic chip, to enter. When she was able to open the door, she saw the interior
That's just her account, of course.  But if true, her key appeared to work (indicator LEDs aside, the door "opened") "confirming" it as her apartment.  And she really wouldn't expect an intruder beyond a door she just "unlocked".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: September 17, 2018, 09:11:30 am »

Not defending her, she was well in control of the situation and shouldn't have felt that threatened to begin with (she was in a lit hallway and saw that the door was already opened. From that point, she put herself in danger by going in alone and not calling the cops, which is coincidentally the complete opposite of what the police advise in the event of a suspected intruder). But drilled reactions are drilled reactions.

As for the door locking/unlocking thing, I must have forgotten about that from the article. I figured she must have just opened the door and gone in (meaning that she was comfortable with "her" door being unlocked) before getting startled by the strange man in her apartment... Because seeing that the door was open and then just going inside to get "spooked" is fucking stupid.

Sure, but let's go back to sources here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/botham-jean-shooting-dallas-police-officer-amber-guyger-family-attorney-disputes-account/

Guyger says her door was "ajar" and saw a "large silhouette" inside. After giving "verbal commands that were ignored," she fired her handgun twice, striking Jean once in the torso. It wasn't until Guyger "turned on the ... lights" and "called 911" that she realized she was "at the wrong apartment."

That's her version. He was just ... standing in the hallway of his apartment, with the front door ajar, and no lights on, and refused a uniformed police officer's command from a lit corridor outside. However, this means she must also have managed to hit a target in the dark from quite some distance. The bullet forensics will probably clear that up.

Attorneys for Jean's family say two witnesses told them details that contradict Guyger's account.

"They heard knocking down the hallway followed by a woman's voice that they believe to be officer Guyger saying, 'Let me in. Let me in,'" attorney Lee Merritt said.

The family's attorneys say one of the witnesses then heard gunshots followed by a man's voice.

"What we believe to be the last words of Botham Jean which was 'Oh my god, why did you do that?'" Merritt said.

This is the more likely scenario. She's come home, her key isn't working, she gets confused, but she can hear sounds from inside the apartment. There's someone in her apartment! Then she bangs on the door loudly asking to be let in, so he answers the door wondering who the hell ... he sees a police officer, and she sees a black man, and while he's about to speak, wondering what the hell is up, she freaks out, pulls her gun and shoots him twice in the chest.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:27:18 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: September 17, 2018, 10:08:57 am »

I already said I have an abnormal fear response

Sure
Who are you again?

I get angry and attack things that frighten me, why would I lie about this?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:06 am »

I already said I have an abnormal fear response,

I wouldn't call it an abnormal response, it's called the 'fight or flight' response for a reason. Sure, it may be abnormal depending on the situation, but hey, the amygilda doesn't give a damn what the correct response is.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: September 17, 2018, 08:10:39 pm »

True, but my real point is that a cop should never be allowed to get away with "I was afraid" if they weren't literally dealing with like, escaped tigers and shotgun wielding psychopaths riding them.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: September 17, 2018, 08:16:28 pm »

For all she knew Siegfried and Roy had set up shop in her front room, and Roy had done an Ash and replaced an arm with a chainsaw.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: September 17, 2018, 11:10:12 pm »

I already said I have an abnormal fear response,

I wouldn't call it an abnormal response, it's called the 'fight or flight' response for a reason. Sure, it may be abnormal depending on the situation, but hey, the amygilda doesn't give a damn what the correct response is.

People who are required to face dangerous situations involving other human beings as part of their professional duties should be trained to suppress fight or flight response and always act deliberately.  Otherwise, they are a danger to the public.  Police training currently seems like it encourages fight or flight response.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: September 17, 2018, 11:14:58 pm »

Problem being that for the majority of people, it's hard to kill another person as a deliberate action. Meaning that I suppose "doing policework" and "doing gunfights" need to be separate jobs. Trying to pack both into the same person leads to Bad Things.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: September 17, 2018, 11:28:33 pm »

Yeah, I have no reflex of "draw, double tap center mass, blame it on being scared" at all.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: October 27, 2018, 04:41:37 pm »

Just want to point out that in the SAME city where cops today took down a white active shooter with a fucking AR-15 going on a rampage (and having already shot 3 cops)  with only minimal damage to the perp (already listed in fair condition at local hospital) -- in June in that same city, an officer gunned down an unarmed 17-year old black male for running away from a traffic stop. Because he "might" be armed.

But please, tell me some more about how race isn't a factor in police response.  >:(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: October 27, 2018, 05:39:10 pm »

That's fairly terrifying in its implications, but equally anecdotal. The terrorist was indeed shot at and wounded by police, so it's possible that they aimed to kill but he just managed to survive anyway. Humans can take an unpredictable amount of damage before dying.

One thing is that it seems likely that he was rushed to the hospital as quickly as possible after being incapacitated, while innocent victims of police shootings are often left to bleed to death on the ground.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: October 27, 2018, 07:27:17 pm »

Given the preponderance of neo-nazis among the police, it's entirely possible that the responding truly wanted to save the life of one of "their guys", but most likely falls to the simple favor of whites and lack of moral outrage at right-wing terror keeping them in "act like I'm supposed to" mode.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: October 27, 2018, 11:37:40 pm »

That seems a bit of a stretch. "preponderance" means "bulk, generality, lion's share, majority, mass". So you're saying most USA police are literal Adolf Hitler worshippers? I don't think we should be throwing terms like Neo-Nazi around willy nilly because they lose all meaning, and the paradoxical effect is to make actual Nazis blend in better, since if the far left calls just about everyone Nazis because they don't agree with them, then the right can start saying things like "if they call you a Nazi you know you're doing something right". Nazi then just becomes a word that only means the far-left doesn't like you.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:50:30 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: October 27, 2018, 11:55:26 pm »

Stop pretending to not know what I mean because of your obsession with beating people to death with dictionaries. Just because you'll never be captured doesn't mean it has to extend to posting.

The frequency of neo-Nazis in the US police force has been reported on for years now. There have been entire internal cliques investigated, complete with member tattoos. And of course, we can hardly neglect to include the number of cops who don't throw the salute but have Nazi style beliefs in all other respects, or whom collaborate with Nazi groups.

Direct any semantic arguments about the differences between neo-Nazis and other white supremacists to a liberal who cares.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:57:00 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 295