Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429864 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2490 on: September 11, 2018, 01:46:07 pm »

She was still in uniform right after a shift, yeah.  But almost to her door, high up in the apartment building?  That to me would be "trying to get out of cop mode, try to unwind" time.

Edit: I am kinda confused about the uniform thing, I didn't think cops took those home.  I'm still not sure whether it was her service weapon, I guess probably so.

Depends on the person I suppose, or the departments rules.

If a cop can't remember what fucking apartment they live in, I don't see how they can be trusted with the legal responsibility for killing people. It just does not track. If they're that distracted off the job, how can they possible function on the job?

Because they’re human and do have their moments, but they don’t usually end up like this. The fact that she messed up which apartment (even though they’re all identical from the outside other than the number and the doormat) is a clue as to her state of mind, but we don’t have access to the full story as to what might have contributed to that state of mind.

There’s also the other mystery of why the door was a bit open, but the only person who can answer that is dead.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: September 11, 2018, 01:50:09 pm »

Who leaves their apartment unlocked for an entire workday? As a cop, no less.
I don't think that was implied...?
The door was slightly ajar as she tried to use her key, which has an electronic chip, to enter. When she was able to open the door, she saw the interior was nearly completely dark, according to the affidavit.

Ninja'd but have the quote.

I mean, it was the exact same room on a different floor. She got off on the 4th floor by mistake, which she had to drive up to in the first place (adjacent parking garage). She meant to get off on the third, which is where her apartment is.
Oh cool, I missed this detail.  I assumed she walked one door too far, which was a stranger mistake than mistaking an identical floor.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:53:35 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: September 11, 2018, 01:54:24 pm »

Probably just a rumor:

In the days since Jean’s death, rumors swirled on social media after a photo surfaced from Jean’s Instagram account showing him pictured, smiling, with three other women.

Many have stated that one of the women in the photo was Guyger, but that rumor was shot down after Jean’s former employer, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, LLC, told The Dallas Morning News that the women were colleagues of Jean’s.

Right. You don't kill a guy you used to date yourself. You have a friend/colleague do it, "Accidentally". Then you do them a favor. Haven't you seen "Throw Mama from the Train"?

I mean, you don't kill people at all if you're a sane human being, but these are cops.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: September 11, 2018, 02:09:10 pm »

Because they’re human and do have their moments, but they don’t usually end up like this. The fact that she messed up which apartment (even though they’re all identical from the outside other than the number and the doormat) is a clue as to her state of mind, but we don’t have access to the full story as to what might have contributed to that state of mind.

We're all human. Very few of us have the legal right to kill though. When you have that power/responsibility, you get held to a higher standard of behavior. That's just how it works, or should at least. It's no secret that police departments have routinely dropped their requirements for lack of qualified candidates. We as a society are paying the price for that.

If a cop can be this distracted walking to their own apartment, the chances they'll be "that distracted" when it's my ass on the line fills me with terror. Only slightly less terror than the idea that some people are willing to wave this off as the cost of doing business.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: September 11, 2018, 02:13:16 pm »

The point I was making at the end of that quote is that we don’t know the specific circumstances of why she was that distracted.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: September 11, 2018, 02:14:54 pm »

A friendy reminder that witnesses heard her screaming and banging on the door, from a statement before the cop's.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: September 11, 2018, 02:21:18 pm »

A friendy reminder that witnesses heard her screaming and banging on the door, from a statement before the cop's.

I hadn’t seen that one. Though on one CNN article, one witness said she heard a woman shouting and running steps. The bit about inexplictedly missing her apartment is odd on its own, as is the part about the door being slightly open.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: September 11, 2018, 02:42:54 pm »

Er... ptw.

Was surprised she posted the $300k bail, but then again I have no idea how bail is s'posed to work so... yeah.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: September 11, 2018, 02:53:25 pm »

Er... ptw.

Was surprised she posted the $300k bail, but then again I have no idea how bail is s'posed to work so... yeah.

My understanding of bail is that it's collateral that in theory reduces the risk of someone running rather than going to court when allowed to be free rather than in custody. I think it gets given back after the trial is over. Usually it's based on how likely the judge thinks the defendant is to try and run and how easy it is for them to flee.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: September 11, 2018, 03:19:48 pm »

$300k is also, compared to bail limits set for the average person with a DUI or something, fairly substantial. Many people would not even have the collateral to cover that.

So at least the bail appears to reflect the seriousness of the event.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: September 16, 2018, 06:26:39 pm »

I wasn't sure whether this should go in politics or here, but it's probably better off here.

A US Border Patrol agent in Texas has been charged as a 'serial killer' after a two-week killing spree in which he murdered four prostitutes since September 2nd, this came to light because a fifth one managed to escape from his car at a gas station, and luckily ran into a state trooper.

The guy charged was a 10-year veteran "intel supervisor" with the Border Patrol. So ... it's anyone's guess what he did for the other 10 years. I find it hard to believe that these were isolated incidents. More likely, he's got a long list of offenses but thought he had impunity since he never got caught before.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:29:30 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2501 on: September 16, 2018, 06:30:57 pm »

"It's interesting that he would be observing and watching as law enforcement was looking for the killer, that he would be reporting to work every day like normal," Mr Alaniz said.
Really gets the noggin joggin

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: September 16, 2018, 06:43:21 pm »

Hadn't seen the reply about the reasonableness of cops getting to use the "I was scared" defense.

If it was only used off-duty, sure... but how many cases have you seen involving someone, unsurprisingly dark skinned and innocent, get shot because "I was scared" or some such bullshit, because that's what it is, either someone isn't qualified to be a cop with power over life and death, or they are lying to cover their ass, either way they need to get the fuck off the force the first time this shit happens.

I already said I have an abnormal fear response, I don't really know for sure how someone armed with a gun should react to given situation, but I know someone trained and expected to uphold laws and protect the innocent shouldn't fucking get away with "they startled me so I double-tapped center of mass" ever.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: September 17, 2018, 04:56:35 am »

I wasn't sure whether this should go in politics or here, but it's probably better off here.

A US Border Patrol agent in Texas has been charged as a 'serial killer' after a two-week killing spree in which he murdered four prostitutes since September 2nd, this came to light because a fifth one managed to escape from his car at a gas station, and luckily ran into a state trooper.

The guy charged was a 10-year veteran "intel supervisor" with the Border Patrol. So ... it's anyone's guess what he did for the other 10 years. I find it hard to believe that these were isolated incidents. More likely, he's got a long list of offenses but thought he had impunity since he never got caught before.

He probably only got caught because he went on a spree. He could have been doing this for years without notice on a slower rate.

I already said I have an abnormal fear response

Sure you do, big guy
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: September 17, 2018, 05:30:39 am »

People do incredibly stupid stuff when they're stressed, and drilled behaviors have a funny way of sticking around even when they really shouldn't.

Such as the fellow who took it upon himself to spend a great deal of time perfecting his weapon disarms, getting his friends, associates and even his wife to hold a gun for him to disarm, and then finally using those skills when surprised by an armed robber rounding a cornerin a convenience store; snatching the gun from the robber's hands before he had a chance to think.

...And then immediately handing the gun back, because that's what he'd always do while practicing so he could get a couple more repetitions in.

Not defending her, she was well in control of the situation and shouldn't have felt that threatened to begin with (she was in a lit hallway and saw that the door was already opened. From that point, she put herself in danger by going in alone and not calling the cops, which is coincidentally the complete opposite of what the police advise in the event of a suspected intruder). But drilled reactions are drilled reactions.

As for the door locking/unlocking thing, I must have forgotten about that from the article. I figured she must have just opened the door and gone in (meaning that she was comfortable with "her" door being unlocked) before getting startled by the strange man in her apartment... Because seeing that the door was open and then just going inside to get "spooked" is fucking stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 295