Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429741 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2340 on: April 05, 2018, 06:22:05 am »

But, I mean, the officer feared for his life, so it’s conpletely justified. Maybe the suspect shouldn’t have been committing a crime if he didn’t want to be murdered.

i hope i don’t have to say /s
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: April 05, 2018, 06:32:55 am »

Future crimes that will result in surprise beatings and chokings: Only leaving a 10% tip, not returning your shopping cart, squeezing the toothpaste tube from the middle, etcetera and so on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 05, 2018, 10:27:08 pm »

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/05/599711119/nyc-police-fatally-shoot-unarmed-black-man-believing-he-had-a-gun

Yet another unfortunate mentally ill individual.

From the looks of it he brought that upon himself. Perhaps intentionally. I don't believe the responding officers were unjustified in believing that the man raising a gun-shaped metal something or other at them while taking the Weaver stance was prepared to shoot them.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: April 06, 2018, 06:37:10 am »

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/05/599711119/nyc-police-fatally-shoot-unarmed-black-man-believing-he-had-a-gun

Yet another unfortunate mentally ill individual.

From the looks of it he brought that upon himself. Perhaps intentionally. I don't believe the responding officers were unjustified in believing that the man raising a gun-shaped metal something or other at them while taking the Weaver stance was prepared to shoot them.
This one does have that factor, but the officers didn't try and get him to drop it first. That said, this case is likely going to come to nothing for the reasons you mentioned.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 07, 2018, 01:52:20 pm »

The shooting was tragic, but I'd say it was justified. The police had received multiple repoorts of a man pointing something that looked like a gun at people and when they arrive at the scene they are aimed at. There's no time to recognise that a metal pipe pointed at you is a pipe and not a gun when you only have miliseconds to react. The man shot was clearly of a disturbed mind and it was his behaviour that caused this.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: April 07, 2018, 01:59:50 pm »

The shooting was tragic, but I'd say it was justified. The police had received multiple repoorts of a man pointing something that looked like a gun at people and when they arrive at the scene they are aimed at. There's no time to recognise that a metal pipe pointed at you is a pipe and not a gun when you only have miliseconds to react. The man shot was clearly of a disturbed mind and it was his behaviour that caused this.
Although apparent know to the community. He should have, in a sensible country, have gotten help before tragedy happened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: April 07, 2018, 02:47:49 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 07, 2018, 03:00:18 pm »

Ah yes, damn those white supremacists, wanting you to keep your noise level to a reasonable level!

I wonder what you would think of an article like that if it was written the other way around, Salmon. Now, I'm definitely on the side of that one should do in Rome, so I totally see where they're coming from. But usually when that kind of arguments are made people like you respond by holding their nose and making thinly veiled accusations of racisms.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: April 07, 2018, 03:26:11 pm »

I don't agree that calling the police on black people is always a knowing, intentional act of white supremacy.  The writing is a little more aggressive than I'd like. 

What I agree with is that cultural history of white paranoia towards black people, coupled with the structure of law enforcement, turns it into a white supremacist institution.  You don't need to have consciously racist intentions for this whole thing to function that way.  When a white person moves into a black neighborhood and calls the police on something that no one else in the locality is batting an eyelash at, they're being blind to their neighbor's situation and recklessly endangering their lives for petty reasons.

Wanting people to keep noise at a considerate level is not unreasonable, but the writing also addresses that... go talk to them.  And if that doesn't work, you're still either ignorant or sociopathic if you think noise complaints are worth calling in police, who are all too likely to kill the offender.  And as these things keep happening and turning into an increasingly intense and widespread public debate, that benefit of the doubt regarding ignorance gets used up.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: April 07, 2018, 04:42:47 pm »

This home (first one I've owned) is in a ~3/4 black neighborhood, and I've had very little reason to call the police.  I've been annoyed by someone working on his noisy truck, but his color has nothing to do with it, and I'd certainly talk to him directly first.  A few times. 

I'm not sure what I'm saying, except that "predominantly black neighborhood" doesn't have to mean "impoverished area where narking breaks the social construct".  I love living here.  There's rule of law and good people.

It's a lot better than the dead factory town I escaped to from my parents, originally (basically all white).  Or the evenly-split white-mexican-black community, on the edge of a liberal college town, where like half the people were druggies on disability.

Or so my brother said.  I'm having better luck making friends here, than there.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: April 07, 2018, 04:44:50 pm »

And how do we know the 3 callers were white?
I know the transcripts were released, but was the audio?
The video shows he was pointing the pipe at people indiscriminately.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: April 08, 2018, 04:47:12 pm »

the point about race wasn't "only white people can possibly do this to black people," but "when white people start gentrifying neighbourhoods, especially black ones, this happens." And "when this kind of thing happens, it's often because of a white person gentrifying in a black neighbourhood."

it doesn't mean that this is ONLY a racial thing (it's also a class thing) and it doesn't mean an upper-middle class black man couldn't do the same thing in a poor white neighbourhood (... I guess. I'm having trouble picturing that ending any way but good in America, though. especially Certain States...)

but thinking it's *only* a class thing and that race never enters into it is a knee-jerk 'anti-SJW' response and ignores a very important facet of the phenomenon

like, trends exist, guys. And a contra-trend event doesn't mean that the trend suddenly stops, so going "but it's not ALWAYS that way!" as if that is some sort of argument against it, is just sticking your head in the sand...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:49:41 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: April 09, 2018, 02:20:59 am »

True, but you need to establish the trend first. This text point out a single event and construe it as a trend.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 295