Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429453 times)

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2100 on: July 19, 2017, 05:58:32 am »

Coming from England, the fact that there is a country where innocent people have reason to fear the police force - an institution I hold in the highest regard - makes me upset.
thincake

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 19, 2017, 08:20:56 am »

You aren't safe either. They hate foreigners too.
Black lives matter.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 19, 2017, 08:36:10 am »

what
thincake

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 19, 2017, 10:06:00 am »

Strangers are dangerous. Didn't you know?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 19, 2017, 10:32:25 am »

I'm only going to say this once.

Police officers are not denied entry to [queer] parades.

The individual officer is completely allowed to come; just not in uniform or in his/her capacity as an officer, nor do they want the police precincts to participate with their own police-theme floats.

It's barring the *institution* from the parade, not the people. And it's not like police precincts are corporations, either :V

No just police officers who had ANY pride or value in their uniform.

Just police officers who want to work to fight against discrimination.

It isn't like this unwarranted demonization of the police is harmful, and it isn't like a lack of uniformed police officers in "Queer" Parades is causing a problem and is being called for by entities OUTSIDE the Queer community.

We aren't talking about a Ideological, commercial, or political entity. So YES it is against Police Officers "Yes, you can come to the parade. Yet you can't be noticeable as police"

In fact maybe the police SHOULD have their own float. That actually sounds like a great idea and it isn't like, say, Firemen haven't had their own float before.

And you know what? Maybe we should encourage police officers to come to these parades in uniform, actually get them involved in the community. Actually desensitize the police to this community as well as vise versa. Build bridges and hopefully allow people to come to understand one another.

OHH WAIT sorry! We can't because an ideological entity says no. In fact it has shut down the Pride Parade, sorry everyone but you know... it is important those Police Officers learn their lesson about being antagonistic towards people. (Man my local chapter is horrible)

---

Maybe I am projecting... The way it worked near me was

The Pride Parade wanted uniformed officers for many reasons but if you looked at it pessimistically, it provides a degree of protection and allows the parade to function.

A Ideological outside political entity wanted uniformed officers not to be allowed in the parade because they wanted to demonize uniformed officers and then proceeded to block the parade for their own political platform even after promising they wouldn't do so.

So maybe other Pride parades didn't actually want uniformed police officers and it was only locally where this ideological group was harassing people.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:53:14 am by Neonivek »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 21, 2017, 08:25:20 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/21/538645807/minneapolis-police-chief-resigns-in-wake-of-officer-shooting-australian-woman

Oh look things get done when the person murdered for no reason by police is a white Australian woman. do i sound annoyed?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 22, 2017, 01:50:31 am »

That's ridiculous though. You can't just not have police presence at a parade of any description. You're holding an event that draws a crowd, making special use of public roads, and demonstrating over a controversial political issue (often by doing things that would get you jailed for public indecency on a normal day.) Any of those alone would warrant police presence. It's not like they're there to oppress the parade or something; they need to be there for crowd and traffic control, to deal with the thieves that always turn out to events like that, and to handle the quite real possibility that someone takes issue and tries something.

You can have police providing security to the parade without having police (or precincts) participating in the parade. I think both are misadvised mind you, but they are different things.
Thanks for clarifying for me. I figured that was obvious, but I guess people think I'm really stupid so they go for the really stupid option instead.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 22, 2017, 04:38:24 am »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/21/538645807/minneapolis-police-chief-resigns-in-wake-of-officer-shooting-australian-woman

Oh look things get done when the person murdered for no reason by police is a white Australian woman. do i sound annoyed?

Obviously rape victims are an imminent threat. The poor officers must have feared for their life when they saw a woman advance on their car, and shot her out of fear for their lives. /sarcasm
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 22, 2017, 05:53:08 am »

The worst part of that sarcasm is that it's entirely possible that they were so afraid that they killed her out of some totally misguided attempt at self defense.  I hate what the U.S.'s police are becoming.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 25, 2017, 01:56:42 am »

News from Poland:

http://www.gazetawroclawska.pl/wiadomosci/a/szokujace-zdjecia-z-komisariatu-tak-umieral-igor-stachowiak-film,12096346/
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9Amier%C4%87_Igora_Stachowiaka

Victim: Igor Stachowiak

In short: Police is looking for a drug dealer that managed to run away from the police station. They patrol on the streets of Wroclaw (one of the larger cities in Poland) and arrest a random duderino, choke him for a bit and get him to the station. There are eyewitnesses who record the brutal arrests with their cellphones. Soon, the witnesses are arrested also, their phones taken away and destroyed. In the police station Stachowiak is moved to a bathroom by six cops, stripped naked, tazed multiple times then strangled to the point where he lost counsciousness. His limp body was shown to the witnesses and they're told that they'll end up his way if they dont cooperate. When Stachowiak stops breathing, they move the witnesses out. No medical help was called. Camera recordings were deleted. All information was destroyed. Only recently a journalist has managed to publish a report on this by contacting the witnesses.

This happened in May 2016 and was swept under the rug, because the newly appointed commisar of Wroclaw was a close friend of the vice-minister of justice. Ever since the case has caused a huge uproar amongst the people and exposed just how corrupt, incompetent and brutal the police is.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 25, 2017, 08:35:15 am »

For an update on that, the Minneapolis police chief has resigned, and the officer/shooter has refused to answer questions for investigators. Either he knows he done fucked up, or there's something shady going on here.

Oh, and the folks who usually call BLM terrorists and criminals are all up in arms over this one, because it's a Somali-American cop and a white victim.  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 25, 2017, 07:01:54 pm »

Oh, and the folks who usually call BLM terrorists and criminals are all up in arms over this one, because it's a Somali-American cop and a white victim.  ::)

The racism inherent in public reaction to these cases is staggering.  Especially whoever it was that said she was "the most innocent victim of a police shooting he'd ever seen" -- disregarding the black children who have been shot by police while doing literally nothing but playing outside.  It's disgusting how much the usual interest groups are either completely silent or reversing their usual attitudes towards the issue on this one.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 25, 2017, 09:35:34 pm »

What I do find interesting about essentially this entire thread is how much of a reverse this has become towards the police.

In 2001 no less there was an entire movie called Training Day (which given movies take a bit... means 1990s mentality)

And its main premise, and what it is trying to key into, is that police officers are ineffective. That police officers who just innocently give you speeding tickets are "Sheep" and that only the police to skirt the law, abuse people, beat them down are the ones who actually give people real justice.

Ending with the main character saying he won't be a SUPER criminal... but that being a crooked cop is the only good way to be a cop.

OHH how times they a change!

Mind you I never liked the movies view of police officers even then... Since it seemed to imply that police doing their job is a bad thing. "Ohh I am giving out speeding tickets and thus doing nothing"... Hey man! That officer is saving lives and has more duties than just handing out tickets. In fact the rules you are breaking exist specifically to STOP police officers from abusing the system (what a coincidence they are abusing the system).

The racism inherent in public reaction to these cases is staggering.  Especially whoever it was that said she was "the most innocent victim of a police shooting he'd ever seen" -- disregarding the black children who have been shot by police while doing literally nothing but playing outside.  It's disgusting how much the usual interest groups are either completely silent or reversing their usual attitudes towards the issue on this one.

The flaws with a LOT of these special interest have been known for quite a while.

BLMs, for example, are less "Pro-Black" and more "Anti-White/Anti-Cop" with a "Pro-Black" narrative (There is a rather sizable disconnect between their rhetoric and their actions as well)

The REASON they have to be silent is because they are playing into their narrative. The reason they might have to "reverse it" is as damage control.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:02:04 pm by Neonivek »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 25, 2017, 10:11:06 pm »

The flaws with a LOT of these special interest have been known for quite a while.

BLMs, for example, are less "Pro-Black" and more "Anti-White/Anti-Cop" with a "Pro-Black" narrative (There is a rather sizable disconnect between their rhetoric and their actions as well)

The REASON they have to be silent is because they are playing into their narrative. The reason they might have to "reverse it" is as damage control.

I think you took my meaning to be the opposite of what I intended.

Black Lives Matter has actually extended support to Justine Damond's family.  You could say their cause is anti-cop, but it's not anti-white.  They've been responding to this incident the same as any other, and I even remember seeing images of Castille's mother comforting Damond's fiancee floating around.

Meanwhile, all the groups that come out in support of officers and pick apart the character of victims are either silent or doing the exact opposte.  The hypocrisy is not equal on both sides, as you seem to be implying.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 25, 2017, 10:30:42 pm »

It was an example of one such special interest group and how these problems aren't suddenly appearing but have been known for a while.

I have no idea how they reacted to this situation. Only that ideological groups tend to act within the same frameset.

Edit: I erased the BLM comment... It is REALLY not an important aside.

The hypocrisy is not equal on both sides, as you seem to be implying.

I didn't imply hypocrisy at all.

If a situation agrees with their narrative: They go with it
If a situation disagrees with their narrative they have two choices: Spin, silent, and/or damage control.

So if I was PETA for example and a Goat wandered into someone's house and slaughtered the family and the Goat was put down. There are more ways they could act then just saying they were wrong for putting the Goat down.

-Go with it: It was wrong to kill the goat
-Silent: No comment, or "mindless tragedy that means nothing"
-Spin: The goat needed to be put down, but as we can see this is what happens to Goats under the abuse of humans.
-Damage Control: If you look in our guidelines we PETA stand for all animals or "We took time to hug each and every living member of that family"

I am simplifying but I hope I get the message across. The Catholic and Protestant Church did the same thing when they were in power, but their power was also waning.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:01:43 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 295