Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428703 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2040 on: February 08, 2017, 03:42:50 pm »

So ... each card had about $48 stolen from it. Considering that a typical one-use Visa gift card is like $50, it seems much more likely that they just stole 1000 regular $50 gift cards rather than siezed drug profits.

Aren't those gift cards usually not valid until they've been activated at the register?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: February 08, 2017, 04:07:07 pm »

That happens when you buy them. These were individual people's cards. They just happened to steal them from about 1000 traffic stops. It wasn't all at once.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:09:15 pm by Reelya »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: February 08, 2017, 04:13:12 pm »

That happens when you buy them. These were individual people's cards. They just happened to steal them from about 1000 traffic stops. It wasn't all at once.

What you quoted didn't say that, though.

"[L]aw enforcement seized approximately 1,000 cards from a suspected drug trafficker. With this technology they were able to identify more than $48,000 in funds that were loaded onto the cards," said the release.

It said they seized 1,000 cards from one specific guy.  Sounds pretty sketch to me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: February 08, 2017, 04:18:44 pm »

What you quoted didn't say that, though.

"[L]aw enforcement seized approximately 1,000 cards from a suspected drug trafficker. With this technology they were able to identify more than $48,000 in funds that were loaded onto the cards," said the release.

It said they seized 1,000 cards from one specific guy.  Sounds pretty sketch to me.
^^^

If it was 1,000 cards from one guy, yes, if it was 1 card from 1,000 people, REEEE.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: February 10, 2017, 06:54:57 am »

Looking at the DHS press release, it seems that it was indeed 1000 cards from one guy. I guess he just used them as 50$ bills, hoping they'd be harde to seize.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: February 10, 2017, 07:36:25 am »

Ah I read that as separate people's cards. Reading the article again, the total siezed is in fact millions. So it might be worse than that.

But to be honest, I'm not sure how having almost 1000 debit cards with $50 balances on them is supposed to be "hard to sieze". They would also be a lot more bulky and hard to conceal than cash, and you need a machine to transfer the balance. Are we sure they didn't just rob a guy who had a business selling the cards?

Plus, when you buy them they charge you a percentage on top. If he's happy to have 8% taken off his $48000 then sure, but it seems unlikely he'd used 1000 cards which would have cost him several thousand dollars in overcharge fees, rather than just carrying cash.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:40:53 am by Reelya »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 10, 2017, 12:13:52 am »

Abuse your position, put an innocent man in jail, lie about for 25 years while you continue to slime your way up the justice system. Get caught, face justice. Accept the punishment.

10. Fucking. Days. In. Jail.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-godsey/for-the-first-time-ever-a_b_4221000.html?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 10, 2017, 02:24:07 am »

And yet the main takeaway from that article is that he was even punished at all.

Beautiful system, ain't it?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 10, 2017, 05:05:59 am »

We're having a scandal here right now we're it's becoming clear that two small children was likely unjustly sentenced for a brutal murder of a third child, among other things because the investigators likely didn't communicate important information such as them having alibi to the... charger legal guy, and forced confessions.
Love, scriver~

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: June 22, 2017, 09:03:41 am »

Police officer Jeronimo Yanez acquitted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Philando_Castile

Dashcam footage released afterwards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: June 22, 2017, 09:08:52 am »

Police officer Jeronimo Yanez acquitted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Philando_Castile

Dashcam footage released afterwards.

Smelling like pot: sufficient cause to be shot.
“I thought if he’s, if he has the, the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five-year-old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front-seat passenger doing the same thing then what, what care does he give about me?”

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: June 22, 2017, 09:20:37 am »

The city of St Anthony has declined to allow former officer Yanez to return to the force.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: June 22, 2017, 09:21:08 am »

To paraphrase a protest sign I've seen:

We live in a society where trained, armed police officers can panic and make snap judgements, but untrained civilians are expected to remain perfectly calm with a gun in their face.

I'm not saying Yanez is a bad, bad person. I think he fucked up, and I think he knew he fucked up as soon as he pulled the trigger.
But hiding behind the badge and trying to shift the blame? That makes him a bad person.
Trying to say that secondhand smoke is a sign that someone is a clear and present danger? That makes him fit to be a Republican.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: June 22, 2017, 09:49:35 am »

Eh, trying to post-hoc justify your actions is fairly human in general...

... that said, there's post-hoc justification and then there's whatever the blazes that was. What made me boggle at that statement the most was the "Want child safe, must put bullets into vehicle" bit. Like, what the ever loving hell leads someone to thinking the best way to alleviate that danger is to fire bullets in the kid's general direction? Escalate to firing at all? Did this guy not know about goddamn ricochet, just to start? Misfire, chance of the other person having a gun, any of the things that could have caused? Just watching folks drive, I know we fail our countryfolk at teaching physics pretty hard, but th'hell are we paying these chucklefucks for if they can't even manage the basic shooting safety I've seen taught to goddamn twelve year olds?

I'unno if that's worth two bads, but a single one... maybe. Gods know if our justice system wasn't quite so screwed up when it comes to cops that would be something like criminal negligence and some level of manslaughter at minimum. Though I guess at least we're apparently not paying him anymore, at least for the time being. Who knows if he'll be rehired, either in the same area once the news dies down or a different precinct.

Also, it wasn't even pot when it came to that second-hand thing. How many tobacco smokers have kids, again? Apparently it indicates such a reckless disregard for human life to justify shooting first. I guess it's another reason to quit...?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: June 22, 2017, 10:16:43 am »

Wonder if The Truth campaign will co-opt that?

"Hey kids, don't smoke around others or cops will totally fucking SHOOT you. For reals."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 295