Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428240 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1770 on: July 08, 2016, 02:21:30 am »

Their reasoning, I believe, was that he was overqualified and likely wouldn't stay on the job. On paper, at least, they didn't hire him because they didn't want to risk going through the expense of training someone who won't stick around.
So it was money?
The argument was that no smart person would stick with the job, so they'd be wasting the investment on training, more-or-less.
So what's the difference?

Alton Sterling: thedailybeast.com claims the full video of the shooting supports a murder and botched cover-up by police.  :'( >:( The police should be tried by court, and sent to prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 08, 2016, 02:40:01 am »

Heard 6 police deaths in Dallas in what was described as an ambush on radio. Crap, that's bad.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1772 on: July 08, 2016, 05:54:43 am »

Heard 6 police deaths in Dallas in what was described as an ambush on radio. Crap, that's bad.
11 shot with 5 confirmed deaths and 6 in critical condition.
Two snipers working in tandem to to kill as many police as possible

Whelp, things will certainly improve now that some folks declared war on the police at a BLM protest

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 08, 2016, 06:00:01 am »

I'm seeing five police deaths, with the sixth death being the shooter in the parking garage, who shot himself (Guardian live feed). Claims of planted bombs seem to be turning up false. One of the 'persons of interest' whose picture was circulated, Mark Hughes, turned himself into the police earlier to prove his innocence and has been released. No word on who the actual 4 are yet.

It's a fucked up situation, but... I'm not exactly surprised. It was bound to happen at some point, the way things have been going.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:03:24 am by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 08, 2016, 10:08:37 am »

Shooter identified as Micah Xavier Johnson.

Watching CNN in the break room at work right now... They just reported that police killed the shooter by sending in a "robot" carrying remotely detonated explosives.

Also, officials wasted no time leaping on the opportunity to go "look this is proof that policing is so dangerous!"... But this was apparently the first time a DART officer has ever been killed in the line of duty, since dart was established in 1989.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:16:33 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 08, 2016, 10:32:18 am »

Yeah, I'm a little disturbed by the "death by robobomber" thing. I mean, there was nearly zero percent chance the guy was getting out of that situation alive, but still...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 08, 2016, 10:32:44 am »

Looks like the guy's been pegged as ex-military, apparently. US Army. Explains a lot about how what happened happened if it's true...

And yeah, bomb disposal bot was used to carry explosives. Caaaan't say that's particularly comforting. Last thing the cops need right now is impetus or precedent for using even less discriminate options than firearms :-\

Iirc there was something back in the... 80s? Something something MOVE? A bit back, anyway. Where police using explosives ended up burning down about 60 houses and killing a number of kids. That'd be the kinda' stuff that gets me worried about the concept. E: Aye, 1985.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:36:35 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 08, 2016, 10:36:45 am »

It occurs to me that if they could outfit the robot with explosives, then they had the option to outfit it with flashbangs, teargas, smoke, or other non-lethal options that could have made arrest possible.  I'm sure that they felt they had justification, but they should put priority on at least attempting to arrest suspects instead of going Dredd on them.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 08, 2016, 10:43:34 am »

Yeah. Violent criminal or not, I find the idea of police using remote exploding robots to deal with problems to be a troubling solution.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 08, 2016, 10:46:48 am »

Aren't most of those police robots outfitted with shotguns so they can use other forms of non-lethal munitions (like beanbags, stun bullets, and even a taser round), I swear I heard about a big program to get those 'bots outfitted that way.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 08, 2016, 10:50:23 am »

Dude killed 5 cops. There was no way they were letting him out of there alive. Not in Texas.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 08, 2016, 10:56:20 am »

Yeah. Violent criminal or not, I find the idea of police using remote exploding robots to deal with problems to be a troubling solution.
Would you rather have had them risk more lives by storming his position?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 08, 2016, 10:58:18 am »

That's a little unfair, the Dallas Police are highly regarded among the officers I know, and are lauded highly for doing their jobs without (significant) bias.  The Texas courts and prisons on the other hand are really gung-ho about killing people.

Wolfhunter: the point is that they were able to kill him using the robot, so they were also able to attempt to capture him.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 08, 2016, 11:15:54 am »

As to why they couldn't use the robot to capture him it was probly to do with him being in a closed room with a gun so they had no way to get to him without the destruction of the robot or the possibility of the death of another officer. I bet they put the explosives on the wall and  blew it out which killed him.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 08, 2016, 11:18:30 am »

Yet another job being lost to a robot. In Trump's America, he'll make damn sure that it's Americans killing Americans.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 295