Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428187 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1710 on: May 23, 2016, 10:40:33 pm »

E: Though the latchkey thing is honestly kinda' bad even in rural areas. It gets kids killed, kidnapped, raped, and so on, in rural or urban areas, just for the more overt (and rare, to be fair) effects. Even if you're not helicopter parenting it's usually a damn good idea to know where your kid is and have immediate support and/or contact available both from and to them, which is generally the point of failure for latchkey kids.

E2: Basically, it may have worked out alright for you, but what would have happened if, say, the house caught fire while your guardians were out, and you were functionally hours away from contacting them/had no nearby/safe neighbors to seek aid from?
Just saw this and...  Well, yeah.  I guess I see that now, though I didn't think about it then.  Back then I was happy to have some alone time.  But a lot might have gone wrong, I guess.  The house did have lots of hiding spots and I was used to hearing things like the door.

As for fires, there were at least three cases where my parents managed to set fires burning trash.  (I didn't start any fires when they delegated it to me).
E: No seriously, we had a large yard with a lot of brush, surrounded by forest.  On one occasion we had to hold back the fire while the fire department came... wow
So I'm pretty sure that, on average, their presence was more of a threat than defense fire-wise.

On the plus side I got pretty good at hauling water and oh gods my childhood was atypical.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:49:18 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 23, 2016, 10:58:48 pm »

To me the officer on the right is saying something to the kid like...."Well ya'see Billy, in the real world there's just some folk who wanna throw their lives away."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 23, 2016, 11:49:04 pm »

As for fires, there were at least three cases where my parents managed to set fires burning trash.  (I didn't start any fires when they delegated it to me).
E: No seriously, we had a large yard with a lot of brush, surrounded by forest.  On one occasion we had to hold back the fire while the fire department came... wow
So I'm pretty sure that, on average, their presence was more of a threat than defense fire-wise.

On the plus side I got pretty good at hauling water and oh gods my childhood was atypical.

I was at a neighbor's house once who burned their trash.  I was friends with their daughter until they got divorced, and she moved away after a year.  She went about starting their trash fire, and I just watched.  She was all confident and casual about it, so I thought nothing of it.  We were 8 or 9 years old.  Wasn't long before a burning piece of paper blew into the large field of tall, dead grass a few feet away, right next to a large wooded area and surrounded by fences overgrown with poison ivy.  That was neat.  The people who owned it were all pissed off, but they didn't use that land for anything.  And literally the very next morning, that field was sprouting vibrant green.  We caused some trouble (rather the neighbor girl did), but it was really something for 8 year old me to witness the overnight transformation of that dead environment from a good burn.

But really... I'm on the side of things that believes we're way too over-protective of our kids these days.  Kids today don't have even 1/3 of the freedom I did as a kid, and I don't have even 1/3 of the freedom my parents did.  I feel like each generation gets less resourceful, confident, and independent, and how much less bad stuff really happens?

Edit:  Oh look... first trial related to Freddie Gray has concluded.  Not guilty.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:53:31 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 24, 2016, 12:00:22 am »

It's hard to tell how much of that is a jadedness that comes with age.
I'm not being sarcastic or implying, I honestly don't know.  I feel like my younger brother is an entitled shit, but we are almost 5 years apart.

Maybe I'm better off for the minor hardships I experienced, because I was lucky and they usually turned out fairly well.  I could easily have had a disfigured hand, or a torn ACL.  Lucky me all I got was...
Let's just say alcoholism and not mention the rest.  Not like it's a competition.

Point is, there's a line between hardships which inspire growth, and ones which stunt it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1714 on: May 24, 2016, 12:42:04 am »

But really... I'm on the side of things that believes we're way too over-protective of our kids these days.
Definitely. My parents allowed me quite a bit of freedom and I'm really grateful for it. People underestimate how important it is for kids to be able to go out and do stuff.

E2: Basically, it may have worked out alright for you, but what would have happened if, say, the house caught fire while your guardians were out, and you were functionally hours away from contacting them/had no nearby/safe neighbors to seek aid from?
One of the first things my parents taught me was how to dial 111 and say "I live at [address] and [bad thing] is happening". Might have been an issue 20 years ago with cellphones being rare and landlines being spotty, but today I can't really imagine a situation where kids could be totally isolated without really neglectful parents.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 24, 2016, 10:20:05 am »

* Zangi could imagine kids without cell phones these days.
  Despite how cheap burner phones are in comparison to normal subscription type.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: June 17, 2016, 06:24:56 am »

Does anybody remember the Rekia Boyd case?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: June 17, 2016, 08:21:53 am »

Yes. And?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: June 17, 2016, 08:26:08 am »

Maybe looking to bring up the fact that the shooter in that one resigned last month, a couple days before they were going to decide whether or not to fire 'em? I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 07, 2016, 12:51:23 pm »

Ready for another round of riots over police violence?

Not really sure if there's going to be riots this time.  But there's a markedly large and sudden spike in tension over the 2 on-duty murders yesterday.  Feels on about the same level as early response to Freddie Gray at the moment - but for two different cases on the same day.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 07, 2016, 12:57:09 pm »

Saw some stirrings about that on FB yesterday, was wondering when it'd pop up in this thread. Any more info on it or articles?

I googled one and from what I gathered  from a quick skim, a black man was shot when he was clearly not in the "should get shot" category with some bystanders witnessing the whole thing, his name escapes me now tho. Had no idea there was another shooting on the same way tho.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 07, 2016, 03:22:10 pm »

One held down and shot, the other murdered by cops during a traffic stop (for trying to get out his wallet, iirc ), so far as I'm aware. Unless there's been another, or one or both of those were from yesterday.

E: Name wise, one was Alan Stirling, the other Philando Castile, if I'm reading discussion elsewhere correctly. Headache, though, so it's possible I'm not.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:25:30 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 07, 2016, 04:22:18 pm »

Yeah, Stirling and Castile, in Louisiana and Minnesota. The Minnesota one was in front of his girlfriend and her 4 year old, so... that's fucked up on a fun new level!

Touching back on the anarchy bit, I like to call myself a "naive bullshit anarchist" along the whole "if men were angels" line of thinking. I generally avoid inciting others to attack me, can defend myself personally just fine, but am nonetheless uncomfortable with the fact that I am unable to defend myself against the various armed government agencies and forces which I happen to live within the purview of. I'm not worried about the Army or Air Force rolling up to push my shit in, I'm not even a blip on the radar there, but I've never been a big fan of someone claiming they have the authority to order me around, detain me, remove my possessions, or inflict violence on me up to and including death.

Weirdly, treating a cop as you would any other ridiculously dressed person with a gun seems to result in amiable responses, though it helps that I loved me some crown vic police interceptors. I've been cuffed twice, once released to my mother, and once locked up for a brief period when I was older.

Been pulled over a couple of times over a headlight that died or having to swerve to avoid someone which looked rather alarming to someone who couldn't see the other driver, always kept in mind that I wouldn't want to step out into traffic, so they don't either. As I didn't do anything obviously wrong, I always make a point to pull off somewhere safer than right on the side of the damn highway, and treat them like any other motorist that flagged you down. Can I help you? Oh, my turn signal went out? Thank you! Do you need anything else? Oh, what year interceptor is that? 2001? Nice, I was never able to snag the 2001~2003 cabs from the lot when I drove. Well, I'll go get that fixed, have a good night! Funnily enough, I've only had my license on me once, but if you honestly know you haven't done anything wrong I guess you present yourself in a way that doesn't trigger the "this is a suspect or possible threat" responses.

I suppose it is luck that I was doing my "young and dumb running around at night pretending to be ninjas" shit a couple decades ago, not even a remotely safe sort of activity lately it seems. I've had a gun pointed at me once (the cops had actually been called out because there was something else taking place, then someone saw us and assumed it was related to a break-in or something, we saw the cop cars rolling around and hid in some bushes but got stuck in a cul-de-sac and were going to slip away under a u-haul truck to cross the street when I looked up to see a 9 mm round smiling at me from the inside of a little black square and promptly put my hands on the back of my head.

It isn't remotely fun having someone in the heightened alert/readiness state where they have drawn a weapon and then aim it at you. I don't suppose it is fun having to do it and discover it's a kid laying there on the ground, but it's harder to sympathize when there is such a massive imbalance of power.

Adding a 4 year old into the equation and jumping to "pump 5 shots into the guy" though? Holy shit, I mean, I always kept in mind that there is nothing I could do really to defend myself against a cop, but seeing these videos with people being held down or whatnot and then getting shot repeatedly, reeeeaaaallllyyyy makes me wish I had something better than "well, they know it is wrong to shoot me, and would be punished if they did it in the wrong situation" to fall back on, or wish for a magical anarchist revolution I suppose?

Unfortunately there has only been one true anarchist utopia that I've ever heard of: The Culture, and that involves technomagic, Strong Benevolent AI, and whatnot. So we're left with the system in place and the world that was there when we arrived, it would be nice if more people wanted to make sure it was better after they leave, but that's why I chose the "naive bullshit" moniker.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 07, 2016, 04:27:44 pm »

Why are these cases being publicized more than Rekia Boyd?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 07, 2016, 04:30:33 pm »

One held down and shot, the other murdered by cops during a traffic stop (for trying to get out his wallet, iirc ), so far as I'm aware. Unless there's been another, or one or both of those were from yesterday.

E: Name wise, one was Alan Stirling, the other Philando Castile, if I'm reading discussion elsewhere correctly. Headache, though, so it's possible I'm not.
Free Energy Alan Stirling?

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 295