Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 432199 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1365 on: May 24, 2015, 04:32:16 am »

If that's the case, then I can't help but suspect that you're the type who doesn't see anything wrong with a suspect ending up dead if they so much as breath in some way that displeases an officer. 
And I'm the one trolling here?
I mean, I sorta am, in that I'm offering a dissenting (moderate, really) position in thread dominated by the other position - And yes, I'm seeking a response.  But I'm hoping that the entrenched position will be disrupted, and maybe actual discussion will start again.

But no, that absurd strawman isn't my position.  I'm sorry if that's where I'm required to fall in your personal narrative.

I'm of the opinion that officers should not use force until clear and substantial threat is established, not suspected for a split second or a suspect is merely behaving inconveniently. 
Theoretically, we agree about this.
I could read into what you're *actually* saying, but that would be engaging dishonest argument tactics.

That alone puts me in significant disagreement with a great many people who will shrug at almost any case and say "Well that's what happens when you don't worship police officers as gods without question or hesitation in every interaction with them."
I don't think many people on the street would say anything like that...

Anyway, you could try saying something like this next time instead of "I see a hashtag so whatever you have to say is irrelevant."  That's very trollish behavior.
That's not what I said, at all.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1366 on: May 24, 2015, 04:33:56 am »

Calm down blokes, this conversation can be had without casualties

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 24, 2015, 04:57:09 am »

That alone puts me in significant disagreement with a great many people who will shrug at almost any case and say "Well that's what happens when you don't worship police officers as gods without question or hesitation in every interaction with them."
I don't think many people on the street would say anything like that...
Um. They kinda' do? Pretty much every personal interaction I've had with people talking about how to react to police in person basically boils down "Comply immediately and do not question anything or else". Do not talk back, do not question, do not express personal rights, do not move funny, do absolutely nothing that is not functionally laying supine and offering your nethers. And hell, that's been for white folks more than most, in an area that's corrupt as the blazes and has the cops letting the white population get away with some pretty hefty shit.

Most people on the streets I've physically met say the next step from that, verbatim.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1368 on: May 24, 2015, 05:07:54 am »

Where do you live though? Because attitudes to police will vary.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 24, 2015, 05:28:13 am »

... as the post says, I live in a place where the police are pretty damned corrupt and tend to let white folks off with a slap to the wrist, if that. South-eastern US, more generally. Folks in general are supportive towards cops in every way that counts. Same people still say what amounts to get on your knees and pray, and if you don't you get what's coming to you.

SG nailed the attitude right on the head, and it's ruddy prevalent from everything I've seen. May be starting to change, but it's definitely a significant population holding that view.
Ask not!
Ask!

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 24, 2015, 05:35:08 am »

A question for Americans: Do your cops always shoot to kill?

...because that's what it seems like, judging by the headlines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 24, 2015, 05:45:06 am »

Yes. As far as I understand it, American police are generally trained to shoot to kill as soon as things get shooty. No "shoot to incapacitate" routines.
Love, scriver~

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 24, 2015, 06:02:35 am »

Yes. As far as I understand it, American police are generally trained to shoot to kill as soon as things get shooty. No "shoot to incapacitate" routines.
Don't go spewing your commie Eurotrash propaganda! Let the citizens of the Free World do the answering! :PP

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: May 24, 2015, 06:14:36 am »

Nah, that's accurate. Americops are trained to double-tap the center of mass as the default if shooting starts, last I heard of it. Shoot to center is the general arms training, really. Incapacitating shots are a no-no. Whatever foul european dark majiks allow the eurocop forces to actually manage those, our training administration believes they're not viable for upstanding american officers.
Ask not!
Ask!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: May 24, 2015, 06:18:50 am »

Over here in Aus the attitude towards police is generally respectful, and there might be a bit of fear/nervousness but that's more a 'holy shit I don't want a criminal record' thing than 'holy shit I might get shot to death.'
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: May 24, 2015, 06:22:12 am »

Nah, that's accurate. Americops are trained to double-tap the center of mass as the default if shooting starts, last I heard of it. Shoot to center is the general arms training, really. Incapacitating shots are a no-no. Whatever foul european dark majiks allow the eurocop forces to actually manage those, our training administration believes they're not viable for upstanding american officers.

I have never been trained in the dark art of witchery myself, but I believe it is called aiming :P
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1376 on: May 24, 2015, 06:25:09 am »

Don't go spewing your commie Eurotrash propaganda! Let the citizens of the Free World do the answering! :PP

There is no such thing as "shooting to incapacitate." It is impossible, this is a myth, one that must die even if only to destroy the Hollywood pantheon of exploding cars even more. This is no European myth, this is an American, and every European who subscribes to it deserves to be officially declared an American.
  • When a police officer shoots at the torso, it is because it provides the largest target. Worse case scenario, you aim for the target's extremities and all you end up doing is hitting bystanders. There is no Hollywood bullshit where you can shoot someone in the arse, the leg, the groin, the shoulder or whatever and they'll be hurt with nothing more than pride and pain. Tendons, nerves, arteries - if shock doesn't kill them, they could simply bleed to death in minutes if a major artery is ruptured.

"Make an assessment of the general state of the patient. Considerable bleeding can occur internally and hence be occult. Patients are frequently young and fit so compensate well until in extremis - tachycardia may be delayed and hypotension suggests very marked blood loss. Obtain good intravenous access as soon as possible. If possible, secure bleeding vessels. If not, compression is permissible to stem bleeding. The use of tourniquets is controversial. In a hospital environment, ensure blood is grouped and cross-matched fast. Rapid haemorrhage may necessitate operation before adequate resuscitation but anaesthesia may induce collapse of a compromised circulation and an experienced anaesthetist is essential." Source, and that's just protocol to stop bleeding.
  • If a police officer is in such a situation that they must draw their firearm, that is by definition a situation of lethal force. You do not point a gun at something you do not intend to shoot, and anything you intend to shoot is by definition something inanimate or something you're possibly about to kill.

If your police are armed, you are giving them the authority to kill lethal threats to the public and to themselves. Responsibility therein lies not how it is exercised (unless they're incompetently bad shots like some individuals in the NYPD), but when and why. A well disciplined police force capable of acting calmly under pressure where their life could be in danger is essential, always.

To further hammer this home, this myth is disgraceful, on a par with the prevalence of people who believe it's fine to use tasers all the time because tasers are 'non-lethal,' when they're not - they're 'less than lethal.' Death is a possibility.

*EDIT
To clarify, I was wrong to say that this is just an American Hollywood myth. Turns out it is a Euro Commie creation too, literally. Berlin wall guards were told to aim for the legs if possible, to interrogate fugitives if they survived.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:34:15 am by Loud Whispers »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: May 24, 2015, 06:51:32 am »

Whatever foul european dark majiks allow the eurocop forces to actually manage those...
Magic bullets. Similar to the one that got JFK, but trained to go for the legs.

There is no such thing as "shooting to incapacitate." It is impossible, this is a myth, one that must die even if only to destroy the Hollywood pantheon of exploding cars even more.

To further hammer this home, this myth is disgraceful, on a par with the prevalence of people who believe it's fine to use tasers all the time because tasers are 'non-lethal,' when they're not - they're 'less than lethal.' Death is a possibility.
It goes without saying that Lucky-Luke shots are not on the list of things that the pigs could do, if they wanted.

But you know, there's that whole thing about pulling a gun on an unarmed individual, and emptying the entire fucking clip into their bowels. Cops are not executioners, and death penalty is BS in any case.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1378 on: May 24, 2015, 08:42:54 am »

It goes without saying that Lucky-Luke shots are not on the list of things that the pigs could do, if they wanted.

But you know, there's that whole thing about pulling a gun on an unarmed individual, and emptying the entire fucking clip into their bowels. Cops are not executioners, and death penalty is BS in any case.
I should hope we're not going go down the road of calling police officers animals and pigs. Making police into your subhuman enemy will not result in anyone leaving well. Especially considering how American police officers are powerful footsoldiers now. An armed rebellion in India would have crashed hopelessly against the British military, Gandhi on the other hand - Unstoppable. What was it, that gun-control argument, that American citizens with handguns and rifles would be squashed by the police and their 'rescue' battle tanks? Californians and New Yorkans kinda screwed themselves over there.
In regards to your latter example, I do not know to which case you are referring to, but unarmed does not mean benign, or harmless. Our views are otherwise identical on execution. Because I do not rush to judgement, nor advocate strict retribution against the police with ardent passion, do not confuse that with a defence of ill action. Care must be made not to make brash decisions based off of passion, emotions cloud judgement. There exist enough cases of police shooting the mentally ill, the handicapped, bystanders, children, dogs to illustrate that many American LEOs are ill equipped professionally to deal with their responsibilities. A well-reasoned response will do far more good than an emotional response. There exist psychopaths within their ranks, true, and even I must roll my eyes any time someone rephrases 'violent group which continues to commit to violence does not represent the larger whole, which continues to produce this violent group.'
In most cases such statements are worthless. Here, it is useful; there is a need to separate cases of police brutality which are really just a result of undisciplined police officers letting the fear of their life (number of American police killed has increased) get in the way of their responsibilities to protect the public (though IIRC, are the American police legally not obligated to protecting the American people?), cases which are a result of the incredible authority and resources the American police possess (the mayor of NYC famously boasted he controlled the 7th largest army in the world, if you have these resources and elite shock troopers, you use them), and the cases of police brutality which are just that;  plain police brutality.

Keep in mind I view almost all people with distrust, as I recall just as many people marching with signs saying 'the people demand justice' in order to convict innocent men, defend guilty men, just as police kill innocent men, and defend guilty men - all of them doing so due to a lack of patience, to never wait for evidence to paint the full picture, and even then ignore the evidence, to defend one side from the other. For a nation whose popular culture is full of so many heroes striving for justice, no one seems willing to follow the spirit and the rule.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Marvin's lawyers are trying to postpone the trial to 2016 to have more time to prepare a defence. Allegations of his attorneys making 'vindictive' have been made, of especial note.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: May 24, 2015, 10:09:23 am »

...unarmed does not mean benign, or harmless.
Quite true, but unarmed is still less dangerous than fully-armed. Shooting people because they might be dangerous and might be carrying a gun is a watertight defence in a state with lax gun control and lots of animosity towards the police: If every person is potentially armed and dangerous, then you can justifiably shoot anyone at the first sign of misdemeanour. Sure, that kind of trigger-happy environment warrants pre-emptive use of force just for self-defence, but not without a huge number of false alarms – which is precisely why the force should be less-than-lethal whenever possible.

What comes to using firearms in a not-quite-lethal fashion, I remember a case where some loon spooked people with a starting pistol in Helsinki: The police arrived within a few minutes and shot the guy in his leg – he survived. Would it have been better procedure to aim at his ribcage, just because they'd have had a slightly lower chance of missing?
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 295