Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 432141 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1350 on: May 21, 2015, 11:26:37 am »

That post is great because in a lot of European countries Gymnasium = High school.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 21, 2015, 12:15:47 pm »

It may,  but it is probably more prudent to keep the infrastructure you have already invested in, and improve education quality for those facilities by increasing teacher incentives, and getting better materials for those facilities.

Which is the more prudent would depend highly upon the details of that particular district's problems.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 21, 2015, 12:58:06 pm »

Well, sure, the school could fit more children in it... which would qualify under 'not at capacity'.

And I guess you could save some money by closing down a school and moving all the children to other undercapacity schools.  The question is, do those savings go to the other schools for more teacher per student or decent/updated textbooks?  Probably not.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 23, 2015, 10:49:11 pm »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:09:12 pm by penguinofhonor »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 23, 2015, 11:17:42 pm »

partially because he believed he was in danger he wasn't guilty

wut

What
WHAT
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 24, 2015, 12:24:07 am »

I don't think it will be long before police start facing some serious retribution across the country, if stuff like this keeps happening with such regularity.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 24, 2015, 02:52:05 am »

The idea of "retribution" against cops in general, for the actions of a handful of cops, is disturbing.
There have been a couple of cases in this thread where the policeman (always a man, of course) acted against the law.  A couple.  If this is the country-wide problem some people imagine, shouldn't there be hundreds in the 50 states?  I accept that some areas may be severely corrupt, but the system on the whole is working.
And frankly, I hope anyone who gets caught up in this stupid fad and enacts supposed "retribution" against cops... gets incarcerated.  Which is what cops do, in all but the rarest situations.  Someone who so readily listens to this nonsense that they enact violence, needs to be separated from the population.  Because they're dangerously impressionable or violent.

More so then the committers of victimless crimes, that's for damn sure...

It's easy to complain, it takes effort to protest.  Get out there and do it.  I did, and I met some amazingly interesting people.  Loud radicals, who spurred me to nonviolent demonstration under the terrifying tyranny of the Bush administration.  It was *actually* dangerous to speak up, then, but we did.  We road our bicycles in front of the camera crews and screamed for the rights of Guantanamo prisoners.

Now, what, the issue is that criminals are getting shot when they resist or assault police?  Give me a break.  And don't you dare threaten "retribution".  Unless you've lived in a high-crime area, or have any actual evidence of nationwide police corruption, I don't care about your parroted opinion.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 24, 2015, 03:14:44 am »

I'm just going to quote the first post in the thread.

Here's a briefer to get you started on exactly what US police have been up to this year:
https://medium.com/@blairerickson/when-people-ask-why-i-have-a-problem-with-american-law-enforcement-its-hard-to-come-up-with-a-61c9e423b003

There have been a couple of cases in this thread where the policeman (always a man, of course) acted against the law.  A couple.

This is a ridiculously uninformed statement.

Regardless, whether you think it's morality right or wrong, backlash is going to happen.  More and more people are reaching the point where police seem to provide more danger than public service and protection, and I'm one of them.  I can't imagine how much worse I would feel about it if I were black.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:20:45 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 24, 2015, 03:24:10 am »

Well hey, if you think a bunch of hashtags are reason enough to enact "retribution", I certainly can't stop you.  No sane person can.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 24, 2015, 03:28:36 am »

I was addressing SalmonGod, whose retort was a screenshot of hashtags.  Like I said, if that argument convinces anyone, there's nothing I can do to help them.
Sorry, but I'm sleepy.  Signing out.
She/they

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 24, 2015, 03:31:48 am »

Still using the Mike "put my hands up" Brown excuse? Even if he never had his hands up? Isn't it nice to see people latching onto lies that support their agenda?
I am not even American and know almost nothing about other cases, but this thing is something even I know.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 24, 2015, 03:32:52 am »

I think it was more the cases where police did some very questionable things (ie ended up killing them for unclear reasons/no apparent reason) to the people the hashtags are referencing rather than the hashtags themselves he was trying to convey, the hashtags merely being a convenient way to convey all of it quickly.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 24, 2015, 03:35:36 am »

I was addressing SalmonGod, whose retort was a screenshot of hashtags.  Like I said, if that argument convinces anyone, there's nothing I can do to help them.

... and if you're going to completely ignore the fact that I responded to your statement of "like 2 incidents of police corruption" by effortlessly providing a far greater number of cases because there happened to be some goddamn hashtags on an image, then I have nothing to say to you, either.  Good grief.

Still using the Mike "put my hands up" Brown excuse? Even if he never had his hands up? Isn't it nice to see people latching onto lies that support their agenda?
I am not even American and know almost nothing about other cases, but this thing is something even I know.

So what?  How central do you believe that really was to my post?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 24, 2015, 03:55:32 am »

... and if you're going to completely ignore the fact that I responded to your statement of "like 2 incidents of police corruption" by effortlessly providing a far greater number of cases because there happened to be some goddamn hashtags on an image, then I have nothing to say to you, either.  Good grief.
Most of those cases are unsubstantiated, or I (in my opinion) showed evidence in this thread that there wasn't wrongdoing by the police.
Regardless of who's right, posting a list of names (effortlessly, as you pointed out) demonstrates absolutely nothing except that you disagree with me.

If you want to incite violence against 765,000 human beings, I hope you can do better than *that*.
Edit: Sorry, I mean to say, I hope you get some perspective.
She/they

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 24, 2015, 04:15:24 am »

Most of those cases are unsubstantiated, or I (in my opinion) showed evidence in this thread that there wasn't wrongdoing by the police.
Regardless of who's right, posting a list of names (effortlessly, as you pointed out) demonstrates absolutely nothing except that you disagree with me.

If that's the case, then I can't help but suspect that you're the type who doesn't see anything wrong with a suspect ending up dead if they so much as breath in some way that displeases an officer.  I'm of the opinion that officers should not use force until clear and substantial threat is established, not suspected for a split second or a suspect is merely behaving inconveniently.  That alone puts me in significant disagreement with a great many people who will shrug at almost any case and say "Well that's what happens when you don't worship police officers as gods without question or hesitation in every interaction with them."

Anyway, you could try saying something like this next time instead of "I see a hashtag so whatever you have to say is irrelevant."  That's very trollish behavior.

If you want to incite violence against 765,000 human beings, I hope you can do better than *that*.
Edit: Sorry, I mean to say, I hope you get some perspective.

Stating a prediction is not inciting.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 295