Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 432161 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1335 on: May 12, 2015, 01:36:54 am »

That's very bad in many ways.  :(

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 12, 2015, 01:52:18 am »

I know I say this a lot in threads like these, but; I don't even know what to say.
Love, scriver~

quamzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 12, 2015, 02:52:27 am »

[ /quote ]
I'm not.  I know they were effective.  But they're even more effective now.  Persons of interest can even be identified before they become significant, without employing any footwork.  20th century methods could mostly only deal with existing threats.  21st century methods are about preventing threats from ever developing.  This is my point.  MLK would have had a two foot thick FBI file put together on him a short while after rising to the status of prominent regional figure, and steps taken at that point to keep close track of him.  A future MLK today has 10x as much data on them that is already assembled before they're ever close to becoming anyone significant, and tracking a person electronically is done at will.
[/quote]

During early 30s In french intelligence folder on Hitler was something like : low probability of political success, threat to the france political interests excluded, danger level low. There is an always opportunity of intelligence systems failing like that, I suppose.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 12, 2015, 02:57:35 am »

i spent like five seconds googling that, and the only thing i came up with is a file from 1924 that said something along the lines of "good demagogue, failed miserably at putsch"

hit me up with a source i'm interested

quamzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 12, 2015, 03:04:16 am »

i spent like five seconds googling that, and the only thing i came up with is a file from 1924 that said something along the lines of "good demagogue, failed miserably at putsch"

hit me up with a source i'm interested

Some  documentary on Hitler. Googling it did not find anything, especially said report. Seems, that it was foolish not to google it first.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 14, 2015, 03:35:39 pm »

Don't worry, NSA will go even deeper, where even the law cannot touch them. 

Because of them terrorists everywhere and don't you dare stop thinking about the children.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 14, 2015, 09:35:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 14, 2015, 11:58:09 pm »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-youth-jail-20150513-story.html

While the failure to support education and continued emphasis on criminalizing and punishment is something that should change, it doesn't sound like it's a terrible thing when compared to the status quo alternative of housing them in adult facilities.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 15, 2015, 12:09:19 am »

That kind of argument is specious rationalization.

It is like stating that having solid feces on you is better than having runny diarrhea on you, because it is easier to wash out of the clothes. How about NOT HAVING SHIT ON YOU-- that's the real goal there.

Improving education, improving civil infrastructure (NOT THE DAMN COPS, I MEAN THINGS LIKE LIBRARIES) and empowering people that are disadvantaged REDUCES CRIME, by removing the necessity to engage in criminality. 

Oh, but that's so much harder than just blaming the people being forced into criminality by their social and financial conditions, and building jails to stuff them in! They are CRIMINALS! They DESERVE to be in Jail--- Right?

Nevermind that incarceration, US style, is about the WORST way to "Rehabilitate" somebody that you can possibly undertake, short of stuffing them into a genuine panopticon. Recidivism rates mean NOTHING! All that matters is keeping that unsightly filth off the streets so rich people don't have to see it!  Out of sight, out of mind! Problem solved!

I think I am hemorrhaging sarcasm here. I'd better stop before I make a huge mess.

Seriously-- this kind of thing, it PAYS to solve the problem CORRECTLY.  That means understanding the cause of the problem, and addressing that cause-- not bandaging the symptoms and pretending that it has been fixed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:11:09 am by wierd »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 15, 2015, 12:55:49 am »

* Descan mops up the raging puddles of sarcasm.

Scruffy don't like puddles.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 15, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I should add in some disclaimer when I say think of the children now.  "Think of the Children, but only when it doesn't negatively effect the profits."
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 20, 2015, 05:33:06 pm »

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/state-level-flurry-post-ferguson-bills-fizzle

Reform through the channels of the system predictably fails.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 21, 2015, 08:50:34 am »

It's a shame that capacity has nothing to do with how well equipped their schools are to educate people.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 21, 2015, 10:55:31 am »

Eh? That's pretty explicitly untrue. Class size and whatnot has a fairly significant effect, from everything I've noticed. It's certainly not nothing. Also not even remotely everything, obvs, but it's a factor.

Also a decent measure of funding per student, if something's not going horribly wrong. Which also isn't a 1:1 match with education capability, but it's usually a better metric than most.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 21, 2015, 11:09:55 am »

"capacity" is a loaded valuation.

"capacity" is really "total number of seats in a room".  EG, "Gymnasium, capacity 2500 persons."  that gym, with 1000 people in it is not even at half capacity.

This has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the building, the quality of the seating provided in that gym, nor to the quality of the equipment the gym uses.

That's what was being addressed-- "not at capacity does not address ability of district to give good education"  They can have all kinds of pretty desk, but if there are outdated textbooks, or a teacher shortage-- You can be under capacity, and still be delivering a poor education.

Money gets spent on more than just new buildings.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 295