Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 432106 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1215 on: April 11, 2015, 11:33:44 pm »

Double-post for bump

I wonder what you guys think of this maneuver?  As someone who commutes by motorcycle daily, it's scary to me. 

Obviously, I don't know what lead up to this...  I can only assume that the officer resorts to this tactic, because the suspect didn't pull over promptly enough in response to the signal lights.  But if the biker was intending to escape from the beginning, then he would have sped up as soon as the officer began edging him off the road.  Instead, he clearly begins slowing down, and looks like he may have been preparing to stop, until he's pushed to the point of brushing up against the wall.  Then it looks like he panics and speeds off.  I don't blame him.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: April 12, 2015, 01:01:13 am »

Apparently the cop has a history of doing stuff like that? At least seemingly according to the comments.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 12, 2015, 06:45:47 am »

Looks like part of that boxing in maneuver, except that it's usually accompanied by other cars.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 14, 2015, 10:39:01 pm »

“Why the f*ck you shoot me man?”

“You pointed a gun at me”

“I didn’t point shit at you”

“Yeah, you're lucky I didn’t shoot you in the head.”

Video
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 14, 2015, 10:57:40 pm »

If he did pull a gun on the officer then...  I don't see how the officer did anything wrong here.  The onlookers interpreted (and outright misstated) it as "I should have shot you in the head", when it's really "You're lucky you didn't die, pulling a gun on an officer".  It's called suicide by cop...

Of course maybe the suspect's telling the truth, could be another coverup.  My guess is that he reached for a phone or something, and the officer assumed it was a gun.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: April 15, 2015, 02:00:18 pm »

Depends on the typical response after a cop shoots an armed person for pointing their weapon at said cop.  Pretty casual, considering it.
Some cops are known to carry around spare weapons. It can easily come down to a he said, she said thing... If they 'find' a weapon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 20, 2015, 03:58:25 pm »

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news-chicago/7/71/535396/chicago-police-officer-found-innocent-fatal-shooting-unarmed-woman

I can see this verdict either being an obscene miscarriage of justice or encouragement to come back with harsher charges.

Summary: Off-duty cop shoots into crowd because he kinda maybe suspected somebody in there was pulling a gun or something. Kills a woman with an unregistered glock of his. Gets off at trial because charges didn't match evidence.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 20, 2015, 04:50:21 pm »

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news-chicago/7/71/535396/chicago-police-officer-found-innocent-fatal-shooting-unarmed-woman

I can see this verdict either being an obscene miscarriage of justice or encouragement to come back with harsher charges.

Summary: Off-duty cop shoots into crowd because he kinda maybe suspected somebody in there was pulling a gun or something. Kills a woman with an unregistered glock of his. Gets off at trial because charges didn't match evidence.
And, evidently, because the evidence matched a much harsher trial. Fuckin' bizarre. My understanding of the law says double jeopardy shouldn't apply, but then again that conclusion allows the government to do some pretty nasty conviction fishing if true. Probably should've tossed the case out or something. Finer legal minds than mine will probably figure something out.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 20, 2015, 05:49:54 pm »

Uh
The text on the page is grey blobs which are simply dashes when selected, for me.

Technical hijinks aside, this sounds like some tragic legal BS.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33:28 pm »

I wouldn't fault the cop for the outcome, but I'd sure as hell fault him for what he should have been tried for. I just pray to god the prosecution's fuck up wasn't intentional, that would be insanely bad/
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 20, 2015, 09:38:35 pm »

What I'm mostly worried about is if it was intentional and slips through. That would not be a good implication for just how corrupt stuff really is.
The circle is complete.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 20, 2015, 09:45:14 pm »

What I'm mostly worried about is if it was intentional and slips through. That would not be a good implication for just how corrupt stuff really is.

May be different for lawyers, but intentionally screwing with cases is something cops do often enough and more than get away with it.  There was a case in my area a couple years ago where an officer was driving drunk while on duty and plowed through a group of 5 motorcyclists who were stopped at a stoplight.  Two other officers arrived on the scene, and blatantly disregarded protocol for gathering evidence in the the case, so that blood samples for alcohol level ended up being inadmissible in court.  They waited longer than is supposed to be allowed to get the testing done, and then they took him to a facility that wasn't licensed to collect those samples.  Both officers were demoted for a short period during the initial media storm, but then both promoted to positions higher than they previously held before the incident in just over a year.  One put in charge of his own precinct.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 20, 2015, 11:21:25 pm »

The cops screwing with stuff and being incredibly corrupt isn't really new news, sadly, but the reason I'm so worried about the corruption also spreading to lawyers is that it will make it all that harder to contain. Even at the moment it seems to be practically impossible to deal with.
The circle is complete.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 20, 2015, 11:23:52 pm »

The cops screwing with stuff and being incredibly corrupt isn't really new news, sadly, but the reason I'm so worried about the corruption also spreading to lawyers is that it will make it all that harder to contain. Even at the moment it seems to be practically impossible to deal with.
From hearing Truean talk it isn't a matter of spreading.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:18 pm »

I guess. I was just imagining the corruption of the cops as spilling over to the lawyers, from whence it could go god knows where. Then again, pretty much anything is corrupt to some degree already anyway.
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 295