Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 432154 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1185 on: April 08, 2015, 12:44:19 pm »

If the police do not show solidarity and unity of purpose, even to the point of stupidity, they will lose all credibility in the eyes of the US public.  In spite of all of this ^ the majority of civies want to see a strong united police force, and if they don't have it they start going to pieces.  So there is an incredible amount of pressure on those police to show that strong front.  Doesn't mean they aren't fucking themselves hard with this attitude.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 08, 2015, 12:46:13 pm »

Interesting, because everyone I've talked to in person would rather see a police force that's capable of basic introspection. It would not appear weak and disjointed if they took decisive action against people who undermine everything the police are supposed to stand for.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 08, 2015, 12:47:56 pm »

If the police do not show solidarity and unity of purpose, even to the point of stupidity, they will lose all credibility in the eyes of the US public.  In spite of all of this ^ the majority of civies want to see a strong united police force, and if they don't have it they start going to pieces.  So there is an incredible amount of pressure on those police to show that strong front.  Doesn't mean they aren't fucking themselves hard with this attitude.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  Not saying you're wrong about it being a factor in their motivation to behave the way they do, but I could write 10 pages about how counter-intuitive it is to show solidarity with illegal behavior when it's your job to uphold the law, in order to maintain credibility.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 08, 2015, 12:49:55 pm »

It is somewhat hard to talk about trends considering that data on police killings in the US is not actually collected, but all estimates point to the US figure being absurdly high.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/09/08/how-many-police-shootings-a-year-no-one-knows/
Most people think it must be over 1,000.  One researcher individually counted over 600 fatal shootings by police officers in 2011, and that's only counting the ones that appeared in news stories.

By comparison the UK - which has a population of about 1/5th of the US - has somewhere in the order of 30 deaths per year in police custody.  This suggests that hundreds of people are dying needlessly US police forces every year, and also this high death toll implies a far larger pattern of corruption and brutality since only a small minority of incidents lead to fatal shootings.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 08, 2015, 12:53:08 pm »

Yes, it is absolutely the wrong way for them to handle this, but they are stuck.  In the places where the problems are largest the corruption of the police forces is near-absolute (hierarchal, not numerical), and almost invariably these police forces are larger and more visible, (L.A., N.Y., Detroit, Chicago, Denver) and so smaller police groups have to toe the line or their careers become an immediate dead-end.  It would doubtless be better for every involved party if the police did have the chops to self-regulate, but they do not.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:00:37 pm by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 08, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »

Yes, it is absolutely the wrong way for them to handle this, but they are stuck.  In the places where the problems are largest the corruption of the police forces is near-absolute, and almost invariably these police forces are larger and more visible, (L.A., N.Y., Detroit, Chicago, Denver) and so smaller police groups have to toe the line or their careers become an immediate dead-end.  It would doubtless be better for every involved party if the police did have the chops to self-regulate, but they do not.

So then, fuck it, right?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1191 on: April 08, 2015, 01:01:17 pm »

A South African friend of mine just told me how the cops in her town tied a Zimbabwean immigrant to their truck and dragged him over the road to death for not having his papers.

I was trying to avoid posting in this thread, but as a South African, at least we fire cops who commit crimes.

Or at least, cops who commit non-xenophobic crimes. Like, y'know, rape and murder. The xenophobia admittedly just gets condoned by the ruling party.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 08, 2015, 01:04:48 pm »

My opinion is that the US is about to experience total systemic collapse.  Our infrastructure is barely functional, our government is nearly non-functional, civil order is currently breaking down.  All signs point to complete failure of this nation in the next fifty years, probably sooner.  I want things to improve, but I see no reason at this time to believe that they will.  The US is fucked without a massive investure of time and effort by people who aren't going to do it, and the police are just a symptom of that problem.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 08, 2015, 01:20:02 pm »

NullForceOmega, you never actually have traveled outside the US, have you? I mean, sure, there is plenty of dysfunctional stuff, but it's less corrupt, better functioning, better run that 90% of the world.

Now, yeah, the US police got a lot of problems. Lots of small departments with little or no oversight. Little training. Lots of guns, which makes cops nervous (The US also got one of the highest number of cops killed in the line of duty in the western world). Nothing some real reform can't fix. It just needs to become an issue for candidates in your states.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 08, 2015, 01:26:00 pm »

A South African friend of mine just told me how the cops in her town tied a Zimbabwean immigrant to their truck and dragged him over the road to death for not having his papers.

I was trying to avoid posting in this thread, but as a South African, at least we fire cops who commit crimes.

Or at least, cops who commit non-xenophobic crimes. Like, y'know, rape and murder. The xenophobia admittedly just gets condoned by the ruling party.

Fair enough m8.

Anyways, @SalmonGod: This whole solidarity thing is like this: First off, pretty much all government, state, and local law enforcement forces are largely autonomous in day-to-day affairs. I also imagine most people do NOT join the police just to shoot people. That said, these otherwise-ignorant-of-whatever-situation officers would rather show solidarity in the face of all police officers being generally attacked, which they are and have been, than condemning every officer of a suspected hate crime willy nilly lest it spiral out of control in to something like McCarthyism 2.0

As far as our law enforcement "record" goes in comparison to say, other western countries, it's certainly worse in many cases, but that isn't a product of newfound corruption. It's a cultural thing. The US police have always had a lot of power and Americans have almost always had fears of the US becoming a Police State. I'm not condoning it, but it'll be hard to change and frankly it is mostly, within the context of preventable action, contained to violent, gun-related shootings. Which again the US has an unfortunate history of 2nd amendment rights idiots to thank for.

@NullForceOmega, I highly doubt the US will collapse. It's not anywhere near total systemic collapse, this kind of unrest is periodic and has occurred throughout our history, and the government is extremely efficient for a government and bureaucracy of its size, despite our complaints. We DO have a bad set of politicians, but such is life.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 08, 2015, 01:28:46 pm »

Police problems: The prevalence of guns really isn't that big of a deal, police fifty years ago didn't worry non-stop about being shot, and a hell of a lot of people were carrying firearms then, for hunting, self defense, etc.  Undertrained is the issue here, congress fobs off highway maintenance on the states, states can't afford to fund everything, police academies go the way of the dodo, police become undertrained over-equipped cowards who don't know how to carefully disarm a situation or do anything other than tase or mace someone.

Personal belief: It isn't though, nor are political, corporate, or any other type of reform.  And the Republicans have brutally crushed every single attempt made in the past fifteen years to actually do something about our infrastructure.  The US is a train wreck in motion, and instead of someone going 'Shut it down and save what we can!'  they just keep stoking the fires like they can pull through on impetus alone.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 08, 2015, 01:38:41 pm »

Police problems: The prevalence of guns really isn't that big of a deal, police fifty years ago didn't worry non-stop about being shot, and a hell of a lot of people were carrying firearms then, for hunting, self defense, etc.  Undertrained is the issue here, congress fobs off highway maintenance on the states, states can't afford to fund everything, police academies go the way of the dodo, police become undertrained over-equipped cowards who don't know how to carefully disarm a situation or do anything other than tase or mace someone.

Personal belief: It isn't though, nor are political, corporate, or any other type of reform.  And the Republicans have brutally crushed every single attempt made in the past fifteen years to actually do something about our infrastructure.  The US is a train wreck in motion, and instead of someone going 'Shut it down and save what we can!'  they just keep stoking the fires like they can pull through on impetus alone.

Look at any other country, and tell me it's not also a train wreck. If you think that managing 300 million people will be anything but a train wreck you're wrong. There's no perfect, great, or even good, government system. The US is one of the best m8.

Also, calling police "undertrained over-equipped cowards" is a very extreme and general statement that's frankly also a bit unfounded. If you want to speak generally, it'd be more fair to say we have a very averagely equipped and well trained police force, in fact in CT where I'm from the police are trained very well and lack enough equipment. In terms of infrastructure, that's not really related to police brutality is it? I don't mind the ranting, 'specially cause I rant a lot, but let's try and keep it police related? As far as reform goes, yes, it has ground to a halt at the federal level and will likely to continue to do so until either a party gets control of the congress and the presidency or we have more moderate people than we do now (which are actually surprisingly moderate in comparison to many other country's politicians.)

Finally, do to most people really not caring all the much, the fact of the matter is the US WILL most likely just pull through this on impetus alone. After all, it's already starting to fall out of the news cycle and is really only being kept afloat in the public's eye through sheer force of will of those who feel/have been wronged.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 08, 2015, 01:41:16 pm »

That's not true for the majority of police departments. Many got Homeland Security money to spend on body armor, better weapons and vehicles, in addition to state legislatures increasing their budgets post 9/11.

And if it's not training that they're lacking these days, it's professionalism. The # of trigger happy cops that have blown people away as their first course of action tells me their training is subpar, or their qualification requirements have fallen.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 08, 2015, 01:47:05 pm »

A two year degree from a community college will never be an adequate replacement for academy trained police officers, taking a twenty-something recently graduated student and handing them a firearm, taser, mace, and a bulletproof vest then giving them a week or two of 'on the job training' is a recipe for exactly the kind of stupid things happening with our police forces.

To be completely clear, I SUPPORT our police, at least the ones who actually do their jobs (I have plenty of real world experience with ones who don't).  I want them to be properly trained, I want them to have the best tools to perform their jobs available to them, but I do not want any attempt to justify the problems with the existing system and the absolute debasing garbage it currently perpetuates.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 08, 2015, 02:38:32 pm »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:30:17 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 295